Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going Clear?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Going Clear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-21, 06:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Another good reason to ride solo. That and misanthropy.
I do, I feel safer since I trust NO ONE. Not drivers, pedestrians or cyclists. 100% of my attention is focused on my personal safety.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-18-21, 07:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
"You said, cars"
I would not have any time for such a person that plays on words in those types of situations.
Old 07-18-21, 07:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,522 Times in 7,325 Posts
I was on a huge charity ride. Someone yelled “Clear!” at a left turn at a T intersection. Either they were blind, intentionally trying to kill us or meant “Car.”
Old 07-18-21, 07:58 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
This has nothing to do with Scientology.

In my club, supposedly it's against the "rules" to yell "CLEAR!" at an intersection. I am not sure why other than possible liability, and I really don't agree with the rule.

On non-club group rides, I actually LIKE it when the first person to an intersection yells clear (or car right! etc.).

Comments?

Seems like more times than not I look left and right no car, I yell clear start going and then appears for who ever behind me to deal with.

Roads are not straight in VA.
Old 07-18-21, 08:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Seems like more times than not I look left and right no car, I yell clear start going and then appears for who ever behind me to deal with.

Roads are not straight in VA.
as if there's a Lakitu dropping cars at random.
Old 07-19-21, 04:45 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
We switched from "clear" to "rolling" a few years ago to encourage, if only slightly, everyone to make an individual judgment whether to go or not.
Old 07-19-21, 06:11 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
We switched from "clear" to "rolling" a few years ago to encourage, if only slightly, everyone to make an individual judgment whether to go or not.
"Rolling" is what our club uses... which can sound like "Slowing" - hand signals help.
Old 07-19-21, 06:48 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 1,276 Times in 706 Posts
In my club, supposedly it's against the "rules" to yell "CLEAR!" at an intersection. I am not sure why other than possible liability, and I really don't agree with the rule.
I don't know if it's against the rules per se, but in my Club it is strongly discouraged to yell "CLEAR!" at an intersection. Rather, we encourage each rider to say "Going Through!" if the intersection is clear. The reason being, yelling "CLEAR!" absolves the rider behind you from having to make a decision, and auto traffic conditions can change quickly enough that every rider in a group should be observing and deciding for themselves.

Also while "Clear!" is designed to inform the rider(s) behind you, "Going through!" informs the riders ahead of you. If you don't hear someone behind saying "Going through!" you can assume they may have been delayed by traffic and adjust your speed accordingly until the group is all together again.
Old 07-19-21, 11:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,632 Times in 2,918 Posts
IMNSHO if you have ridden with an experienced group for several months with no dare devils or testosterone fueled lab rats, then you know when someone shouts Clear, they can be trusted. OTOH, I would never trust a group or someone that I had not ridden with or just done a few rides. My wife and I ride together and we trust each other implicitly, especially more so after I let my life insurance lapse.

I do like the “Go through” concept though.

Old 07-20-21, 07:34 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
This has nothing to do with Scientology.

On non-club group rides, I actually LIKE it when the first person to an intersection yells clear (or car right! etc.).

Comments?
we call “clear”, which is taken to mean that there are no visible vehicles. Distant vehicles are indicated by “deep right” or “deep left”. However, all of these signals indicate that these circumstances apply only to the rider calling them, and not for every rider in the line. I can’t imagine anyone, regardless of a “clear” from the preceding rider, rolling blithely out onto the roadway without looking both ways. Each rider is supposed to
scan and call for the benefit of the next rider, not for the whole group. Obviously a road that’s clear for rider #1 may not be clear for rider #10, and #10 would have to be a moron to assume otherwise. Best not to ride with morons.
Old 07-20-21, 07:57 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I'm all for the lead rider calling "Clear" at an intersection. That doesn't mean I take it as gospel and I still take the time to check, but it at least gives preliminary info.

If I'm on the front I err on the conservative side. If there's a car visible, it needs to be very far away for me to call the intersection as clear otherwise it gets called out ("Car right/left") as applicable.

Old 07-20-21, 10:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Intersection etiquette depends on the group and route. Some groups slow or regroup anytime the group is split due to yielding or stopping for traffic at intersections. No reason to worry or panic sprint through traffic. There are plenty of places along the route for uninterrupted riding so there's no real need to take unnecessary risks at intersections with blind spots.

Some groups blast ahead and use intersections to drop cautious and tentative stragglers. I don't do urban alleycat drop rides anymore. The only "training" in those rides is training to visit the ER.

Either way, I don't care whether riders ahead call "clear." If I can't see it for myself, I don't believe it. Maybe their peripheral vision is worse than mine.
Old 07-21-21, 07:21 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
I have no problem with "clear" in a VERY small group (no more than 4 riders.) Even then, I'll double check myself.
In a larger group, the road may well appear to be clear for the riders in front, but by the time the riders near the end of the line get to the intersection, there may be a vehicle approaching. I've had this happen on a couple of occasions, and it usually results in someone crashing into the back wheel of the person who, at the last second, sees the vehicle and decides to stop.