Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is cycling more effective than usual gym session?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is cycling more effective than usual gym session?

Old 07-21-21, 10:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 748 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
I can't imagine riding for over 2 hours on a fixed indoor setting, so I say cycling on the road is better, just for mental and sanity.
Yep, you need a change of scenery every once in a while.
Old 07-21-21, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13746 Post(s)
Liked 6,636 Times in 3,363 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac View Post
How long is a piece of string?
Instead of replying to questions the OP blasted off another 5 posts this morning (took him 9 minutes this time). Hes maxed for today but has now reached 10. Tune in tomorrow.
Old 07-21-21, 11:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked 905 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
Here's an example why doing large event rides makes me nervous. Unless you ride off the front, you're at the mercy of the least skilled riders.
Tell me about it. that ride The event I'm doing in August usually has around 12000 participants. Thinking about though, who causes the most problems? Is it the slow, cautious, unskilled riders or the impatient, faster more skilled riders tying to get around them? Probably a combo of both.
Old 07-21-21, 11:47 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Yeah, the hypothetical "never been on a real bike" person probably isn't someone who's going to try to learn on a racing bike as an adult.

I sort of think your experience raises a different question--that sounds like what you're finding is that it takes but a few minutes to shake the rust off skills you already learned, so my question would be whether you thought that amount of necessary "shakedown" would be more if you were doing some sort of cardio different from spinning?

If someone has not done an activity at all, there will be a learning curve. How long does it take a kid to learn to ride a bike? To the point where he/she and his/her peers are gone all day exploring the neighborhood and no telling what else? One summer or less? By the end of that summer they're usually a competent bike handler. They can lay down a skidmark/slide with the best of them. Maybe not do a wheelie. Contrast that with a kid or adult trying to learn how to swing a golf club or throw/hit a baseball/softball properly.(Or one of those curling blocks ) A lot steeper learning curve in racquet type sports. Steep curve in most team sports as well because of the rules.

As you say though, once the skill is learned, it's there and the rust will go quickly. Then it's about the fitness.

I don't know if I answered your question. If I didn't, I'll try it again.

Last edited by seypat; 07-21-21 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 5068 Post(s)
Liked 4,364 Times in 2,457 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
If someone has not done an activity at all, there will be a learning curve. How long does it take a kid to learn to ride a bike? To the point where he/she and his/her peers are gone all day exploring the neighborhood and no telling what else? One summer or less? By the end of that summer they're usually a competent bike handler. They can lay down a skidmark/slide with the best of them. Maybe not do a wheelie. Contrast that with a kid or adult trying to learn how to swing a golf club or throw/hit a baseball/softball properly.(Or one of those curling blocks ) A lot steeper learning curve in racquet sports. Steep curve in most team sports as well because of the rules.

As you say though, once the skill is learned, it's there and the rust will go quickly. Then it's about the fitness.

I don't know if I answered your question. If I didn't, I'll try it again.
I'll try it again--for you, would it make a difference in your level of preparedness for your annual ride if you were doing some other indoor cardio than spinning? In other words, do you think the spinning might be playing some role in keeping your skills fresh and the right muscles trained? I find my climbing skills are better when I'm doing some elliptical training in addition to the bike, btw.
Old 07-21-21, 12:28 PM
seypat

I'll try it again--for you, would it make a difference in your level of preparedness for your annual ride if you were doing some other indoor cardio than spinning? In other words, do you think the spinning might be playing some role in keeping your skills fresh and the right muscles trained? I find my climbing skills are better when I'm doing some elliptical training in addition to the bike, btw.
I can't really answer that one. I'm a AAA person. Always have been. Any type of sport/Any time/Anywhere. I'll give it a go. So, I do stuff year around. I didn't start endurance sports until about 10 years ago. Before that it was court/run and jump sports and golf all the time. Plantar Fasciitis/Father Time drove me away from the other sports into endurance sports. Now it's swim/bike/run/tri/obstacle course/Spartan/Tough Mudder/whatever. I am a mediocre endurance athlete. BOP for sure. Marathons in the fall. Shorter running events/swim/cycling throughout the year. Marathon training started back in the first week of June. Up to 10-15 miles running split during the week and a weekend run of the same distance now. You have to be riding some on the bike/stationary bike so the a$$ and the rest of the body are used to sitting and riding a bike for multiple hours on end. During a long ride, it's not the legs/fitness that will fade first, it's parts of the body. The most difficult thing for me is holding my head up. The muscles doing that get very tight/fatigued. That and whacking a brifter constantly, hour after hour. After 4-5 hours of doing that, my right forearm will get so tight that I can't squeeze the brake lever. So I have friction shifting barcons on most of my bikes. Mentally, finishing a long ride is harder than a long run also. On a long run, like a marathon, once I get within 3 miles I know I will finish. The mood gets better. That never happens on a long bike ride. The mood doesn't change until I actually roll over the finishing point. Not sure why.

I played basketball at the college level. I will say that the training involved for some of the various sports is way different than endurance sports. Not harder/easier, just specific to the sport. I always get a chuckle when you hear endurance athletes talk about suffering like they're the only athletes that suffer.

Last edited by seypat; 07-21-21 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-21-21, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

I can't really answer that one. I'm a AAA person. Always have been. Any type of sport/Any time/Anywhere. I'll give it a go. So, I do stuff year around. I didn't start endurance sports until about 10 years ago. Before that it was court/run and jump sports and golf all the time. Plantar Fasciitis/Father Time drove me away from the other sports into endurance sports. Now it's swim/bike/run/tri/obstacle course/Spartan/Tough Mudder/whatever. I am a mediocre endurance athlete. BOP for sure. Marathons in the fall. Shorter running events/swim/cycling throughout the year. Marathon training started back in the first week of June. Up to 10-15 miles running split during the week and a weekend run of the same distance now. You have to be riding some on the bike/stationary bike so the a$$ and the rest of the body are used to sitting and riding a bike for multiple hours on end. During a long ride, it's not the legs/fitness that will fade first, it's parts of the body. The most difficult thing for me is holding my head up. The muscles doing that get very fatigued. Mentally, finishing a long ride is harder than a long run also. On a long run, like a marathon, once I get within 3 miles I know I will finish. The mood gets better. That never happens on a long bike ride. The mood doesn't change until I actually roll over the finishing point. Not sure why.

I like a good honest "I don't know". I really have no idea, myself. I'm not sure if it is answerable.
Old 07-21-21, 12:52 PM
seypat

I like a good honest "I don't know". I really have no idea, myself. I'm not sure if it is answerable.
I can say that it's real easy to notice when you are/are not genetically gifted for a particular sport. I used to do this event in Chicago called the Urbanathlon when my brother lived there. 11 mile obstacle course/run. Like a Tough Mudder without the water/mud. By far, the most fun I've had in endurance sports. The hardest obstacle was running the steps at Soldier Field.(4 times up/down) I never even came close to being in the top 50% of my age group for the event the times did it. But, I was always top 10 on the step climb segment. That segment required explosion which I had lots of and most endurance athletes do not. Otherwise, I get passed by everyone. It's very humbling after being a decent athlete in the other sports. We're not even going to talk about my legendary lack of climbing ability on a bike.

They still have the Urbanathlon or not. The link is from 2015. Chicago turned into a Spartan event and my brother moved. It was a blast!

https://www.menshealthurbanathlon.com/about.html

Last edited by seypat; 07-21-21 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-21-21, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

I can say that it's real easy to notice when you are/are not genetically gifted for a particular sport. I used to do this event in Chicago called the Urbanathlon when my brother lived there. 11 mile obstacle course/run. Like a Tough Mudder without the water/mud. By far, the most fun I've had in endurance sports. The hardest obstacle was running the steps at Soldier Field.(4 times up/down) I never even came close to being in the top 50% of my age group for the event the times did it. But, I was always top 10 on the step climb segment. That segment required explosion which I had lots of and most endurance athletes do not. Otherwise, I get passed by everyone. It's very humbling after being a decent athlete in the other sports. We're not even going to talk about my legendary lack of climbing ability on a bike.

I cannot run without screwing up my ankles--they're congenitally crappy. I literally can walk or ride all day, but as soon as I start with the impact, I'm setting myself up for a sprain. I'm pretty sure I'd be good on the step climbing part, but the step descending would probably total me.
Old 07-21-21, 01:11 PM
seypat

If I could get 1 or 2 points across on the thread it would be this. Cross train as much as you can. Don't limit yourself to one sport/endeavor or only the ones you're good at. If you have access to a pool, swim. It's a great overall exercise. Doing other/multiple things will keep your body/mind in good condition.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-21-21, 01:14 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
To answer the OP's question: you need BOTH PLUS. Generally, cyclists have a weaker upper body and gym rats have muscle but low endurance and fitness/aerobic capacity. You need endurance activities (cycling/running/HIIT), strength (gym/weight-lifting), and flexibility (yoga). As well as proper diet, rest, and stress relief. Everything connects to each other.
Old 07-21-21, 01:21 PM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

If I could get 1 or 2 points across on the thread it would be this. Cross train as much as you can. Don't limit yourself to one sport/endeavor or only the ones you're good at. If you have access to a pool, swim. It's a great overall exercise. Doing other/multiple things will keep your body/mind in good condition.

I don't necessarily agree with that as general advice. For a lot of us, myself included, we have to work around physical limitations that tend to drive us into a smaller range of particular activities. I happen to be really good at one of those, and specializing in that motivates me to get more time in because I enjoy it so much. Other types of training are always going to take a distant back seat for me. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be wrong for me.
Old 07-21-21, 03:41 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 554 Posts
If I could get 1 or 2 points across on the thread it would be this. Cross train as much as you can. Don't limit yourself to one sport/endeavor or only the ones you're good at.
Best reply in this thread so far...I agree 100%
Old 07-21-21, 06:05 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Well there is something wrong with your reasoning as the person in question is the OP.

So without ten posts, they were able to ask a question.
This was their 4th post of the day and their second thread as the Thread Starter or OP.

Oh!
By the way....

Welcome to BF!
Thank you.

I am new to this forum and don't know the specifics why I was prevented to create a thread or ask a question with less than 10 posts to my name.

Ok, here it is. Just now I checked, I tried to make a thread with a link to an external website and it gave me this message "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more." My mistake, I did not have the specific details earlier.
Old 07-24-21, 08:20 PM
rwmct

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think there is any adequate substitute for strength training for gaining usable strength, increased bone density, strong core musculature (which runs from you ankles up to your neck). Other aspects of fitness can be enhanced by other methods, but strength training brings with it benefits that you can't really get elsewhere.

Even if the only strength training you did was to do deadlifts for twenty minutes twice a week, you would see results that would be hard to achieve otherwise.
Old 07-26-21, 11:10 AM
StanJF

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL3, Koba MTB, Zieleman Type Special criterium bike, Gitane Pro track bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are comparing a 30 minute gym cycling machine to a 30 minute road ride, the road ride will definitely be more effective. My heart rate will reach150-160 bpm much faster and for longer time on a road ride than when I'm in the gym. Having said that, you also need strength exercise in addition to aerobic exercise, especially for seniors. Do both.
Old 07-26-21, 12:07 PM
bibike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling like most sports is sport specific. Want to be good at that sport then must do it frequently enough to attain neuromuscular connections and specific strength. I agree weight training is important especially for balanced good health. Was it Eddy Merckx who said when someone asked him how to get better at cycling, he said ride more and push harder.
Likes For bibike:
Old 07-26-21, 12:31 PM
trailrnr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This really is a question which can't be answered. More effective for what is my first answer. What is your typical "gym session". If you mean lifting weights, then are your lifting heavy, or lifting for endurance? If you want to simply burn calories in the moment, then go for a bike ride. If you want to burn more calories for 24 hours, then lift weights, which activates and builds more muscle, and increases your basal metabolic rate. If you wish to be a better athlete, then by all means, you should be doing strength, endurance and mobility. Add in to that sleep, meditation or mindfulness, and healthy diet. And, if you are riding for endurance, you need to hit different distances, and all the different training intensities....
Old 07-26-21, 12:48 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 122 Posts
there are 2 kinds of cyclists. The really skinny pros with pre-mature osteoporis. Or the ones with fat bellies. Nothing in between. Seems to me that cyclists, both pros and fatties, could use some gym work.
Old 07-26-21, 05:18 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
there are 2 kinds of cyclists. The really skinny pros with pre-mature osteoporis. Or the ones with fat bellies. Nothing in between. Seems to me that cyclists, both pros and fatties, could use some gym work.
Where would you put Filippo Ganna on that scale?
Old 07-26-21, 11:27 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomlyWest View Post
The vague question asked by this thread actually makes me think of something more specific, something I have wondered about.

Let's say someone does a vigorous spin workout 2-3x week down at the gym.
That's the only kind of bike they ride with any regularity.
If you put that person on a quality road bike, would they just completely smoke everyone on a club ride?
Just drop everyone in the B group, set the pace in the A?
Or would they get bored after a couple of miles and go home?

Do you know anyone who does both spin classes and 20-100mi rides?
I'm curious to hear from anyone who does.
I do. I picked up spin as cross training when I was in martial arts and moved into road cycling as I enjoyed it more. The very short answer to this question is that while some principles do carry over, bike handling is such an important skill that the first time you go to the club ride, you will get dropped. My output has increased drastically and I've been able to keep with a pretty fast group as I've learn to handle my bike better. The longer answer is that not all spin classes are created equal. Good instructors can bring the bike experience indoors and some of them ride.
Old 07-27-21, 05:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by y2zipper View Post
My output has increased drastically
That kind of answers the question regarding typical gym "spin class" sessions vs serious road riding. But I agree, some spin classes are more geared toward improving outdoor riding than others.
Old 07-28-21, 12:12 PM
mwaldin

Bikes: Cross over REI City 1.2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to get/keep two things in shape. First your lung endurance and capacity - cardio of any type is good for that. The other is muscle endurance and strength. For that you have to build and tone muscles you are going to use riding. Whatever floats your boat and achieves that will do.