Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Behind the scenes of Giant / Liv / Cadex

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Behind the scenes of Giant / Liv / Cadex

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 07:33 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Coppi51,

Your designs look really cool. Here's my take on today though:

Every bike maker is making the same bike. They all look the same, they all have the same parts. There is nothing unique about any of them in my opinion. It used to be that each brand of bike had its own unique "look". You could look at the bike, the lugs, the pedals, the handle bars and tell from afar what brand it was...even if it was a brand new model.

That same "gray" or "clean" design style inflicts car design also. Every sedan, every coup, every SUV, they all have the same shape. The only difference is their branding.

It's bland. That type of design has no soul, no personality. Driving a car has turned into a mundane necessity instead of an experience.

Back in the 1970's American cars were all uniquely styled. Even out of that variety there was one maker that took that left turn on style and color. It was Dodge. I'll never forget when I first saw a 1967 Dodge charger in that electric purple color. It was fast, loud, had beautiful lines and it had soul.

Giant should take a leap and take a left turn on color options, style and standardize on parts for the aftermarket. Make some bikes with soul and personality.

My daily drivers have soul, style, personality and are a blast to ride and drive. Going to the supermarket is actually fun in either. One is for a pint of ice cream, the other for a gallon of milk:

You have a point but there is only so much you can do with a bike: two wheels and a basic frame. Just like a cell phone: a rectangular shape with a touch screen.

But I do see your point about cars; that coupe is gorgeous. The only car that is similar would be the Miata.
Old 07-22-21, 07:46 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
CJ3209,

What others have done with two wheels, some curves and color....

Last edited by drlogik; 07-22-21 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-22-21, 07:59 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
CJ3209,

What others have done with two wheels, some curves and color....

LOL...but except for the TT bike, all the other bikes look pretty much the same outside of some color...but I hear you.

Old 07-22-21, 08:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
LOL...but except for the TT bike, all the other bikes look pretty much the same outside of some color...but I hear you.

They look pretty much the same because the bike frame was pretty much perfected decades ago. It's the details that make it different.
Likes For Korina: