Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-09-20, 11:02 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
Looking back my old self directed training over the first few months back on the bike, I had a time in zone of around 50% endurance, 35% tempo, and 15% FTP+. The last 4 weeks my coach has my time in zone around 80% endurance, 5% tempo, and 15% FTP+. Similar amount of kJ / week, but a little more saddle time. Overall I feel better in general, with less fatigue during the week, and my power numbers have made huge improvements. Starting to wonder if the polarized model *is* in fact a better way to go than doing a ton of SST...
Polarized training is not based on time, it's based on training sessions. Unless you're doing 8 easy sessions and 2 hard sessions, you're not doing actual polarizezd training (and a tempo session likely wouldn't even be done, or would be included in the 8 easy sessions).

The body typically responds to a new stimulus. If you haven't done much volume in a while, it makes sense that you improve.

Conversely, if you do years of volume with little intensity and then cut hours to do more of it, then it also makes sense that you improve.
Old 07-09-20, 11:06 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
The heat has been the reason ive been riding at 5am the past 2 rides (this morning and yesterday). Planning on more 5am rides next week since the forecasted highs are damn near 100
Same, mostly, though I've been riding at 6. Still have 70-73 degree dewpoints then (100% humidity), but it's so much more manageable than riding in sunlight at 9-10am.
Old 07-09-20, 01:21 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Polarized training is not based on time, it's based on training sessions. Unless you're doing 8 easy sessions and 2 hard sessions, you're not doing actual polarizezd training (and a tempo session likely wouldn't even be done, or would be included in the 8 easy sessions).

The body typically responds to a new stimulus. If you haven't done much volume in a while, it makes sense that you improve.

Conversely, if you do years of volume with little intensity and then cut hours to do more of it, then it also makes sense that you improve.
Right. Where it's more like 80/0-5/15-20 for sessions it's more like 90/0/10 for time in zone. I'm definitely not doing a pure "polarized" plan, but it's a lot closer than what I was doing, which was a lot of tempo / SST. I also just went back and added the exact number, I'm actually 84/4/12 time in zone.

I've been watching some pros training plans and their workouts are really interesting. A couple of them are doing these 4-5 hour endurance rides with a handful of intervals near the beginning or right at the end. I don't know if that would count as an endurance ride or intense ride for the session, but it's for sure like 95% endurance and 5% LT+ time wise.
Old 07-09-20, 04:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
TTT Tuesdays on Fiesta on TT bike. On the way over, wife says, what do you want to do. That is code for me to make suggestions that she can shoot down until I mention one she likes. Since we have been doing the high intensity isometric strength training using both legs at the same time, how about low cadence intervals to work on single let muscle activation. She gives me the I am not sure I want to do low cadence blah blah blah.

I played the BF racer wktmeow , who she met, thinks they are a great biohack, card. Her company is into biohacks as a buzzword in drug development.

Okay, let’s do 2 laps of low cadence. We do two laps continuous averaging 22.5 mph 53/11 for her and 54/11 for me. She says, I forgot how much fun those were. And we do another lap.

Great day at Fiesta with typical wind, temps in the lower 70s and normal car traffic back on the island that keep the walkers, joggers, dogs and other obstacles off the road.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-09-20, 04:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
WTRL series TTT tonight on Zwift, Sand and Sequoias route. Second one ever for me so hopefully I can find a way to make my power effective vs flailing around. Nothing like a real TTT but fun and interesting. Requires a different kind of focus. Will report back later.
Old 07-09-20, 05:31 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Just pounding away at my hiking agenda. 18 miles on Tuesday, 12 today. 6 or so with the wife tomorrow.

The Hudson!

Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-09-20, 05:55 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
More endurance today, 2ish hrs, 96tss, although the “proper” workout on my TrainerRoad plan prescribed 70tss, but the tss metric is skewed until I figure out the new ftp, because my HR is averaging below 130 on NP of around 200w. All this fitness and nothing to do but ride lol
Old 07-09-20, 06:37 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I played the BF racer wktmeow , who she met, thinks they are a great biohack, card. Her company is into biohacks as a buzzword in drug development.

Okay, let’s do 2 laps of low cadence. We do two laps continuous averaging 22.5 mph 53/11 for her and 54/11 for me. She says, I forgot how much fun those were. And we do another lap.
Hah, I'm flattered I also find them fun on flat roads, it feels like floating down the road somehow.

Got a pair of trail running shoes in today and went for a run through Tecalote, about 5 miles. Pace was a bit lower than road but much more mentally engaging! Heart rate was a bit higher than I probably should have been at, but it was fun. Deadlifts tonight but it's a deload week so pretty much just warmup and done.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 07-10-20, 01:08 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Did the same 1 hour hilly loop I've been doing. Finished it in 57 minutes with an IF of 1.07. 15 minutes Z5+, 23 minutes Z1. Perhaps I get to (have to?) increase FTP.

Added a gym workout this afternoon. Front squats, dumbbell bench press, romanian deadlift, dumbbell rows. Still adding 10 lbs per session (5 for dumbbells). I'm in the neighborhood of 90% back to pre-COVID strength.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 07-10-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 03:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Hah, I'm flattered I also find them fun on flat roads, it feels like floating down the road somehow.

Got a pair of trail running shoes in today and went for a run through Tecalote, about 5 miles. Pace was a bit lower than road but much more mentally engaging! Heart rate was a bit higher than I probably should have been at, but it was fun. Deadlifts tonight but it's a deload week so pretty much just warmup and done.
You are correct about the floating part. Sometimes I think all the spinning is a mental distraction. At the Hermes, we are into biohacks (legal). Here is a book that is published by the guys who own the technology for the isometric exercises we are doing. https://www.amazon.com/Osteogenic-Lo...4416247&sr=8-1.

The book is not that well written i.e. needs editing but it has some interesting muscle and bone anatomy discussion. It may help you planning your strength training and it is cheap.
Old 07-10-20, 09:05 PM
wktmeow

Originally Posted by Hermes
You are correct about the floating part. Sometimes I think all the spinning is a mental distraction. At the Hermes, we are into biohacks (legal). Here is a book that is published by the guys who own the technology for the isometric exercises we are doing. https://www.amazon.com/Osteogenic-Lo...4416247&sr=8-1.

The book is not that well written i.e. needs editing but it has some interesting muscle and bone anatomy discussion. It may help you planning your strength training and it is cheap.
Hard to pass up at that price! Got the kindle edition, I'll check it out thanks!
Old 07-10-20, 10:26 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I was sick for over 2 weeks, not severely, but enough that I couldn't really ride. Sore throat, some dizzy spells, and nausea. I'm better now but I kind of feel like anything I was working towards is done. I was at 85 CTL when this started and down to 63 =\.

Outside of BWR there really isn't a reason to train though, and I'm not sure if I'll even do that this year. I may just do it next year since we get a pass and my off road skills need a lot more work.
Old 07-10-20, 10:57 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I was sick for over 2 weeks, not severely, but enough that I couldn't really ride. Sore throat, some dizzy spells, and nausea. I'm better now but I kind of feel like anything I was working towards is done. I was at 85 CTL when this started and down to 63 =\.

Outside of BWR there really isn't a reason to train though, and I'm not sure if I'll even do that this year. I may just do it next year since we get a pass and my off road skills need a lot more work.
On the bright side, I bet your TSB is super positive right now
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 07-11-20, 07:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by wktmeow

nice, I quite enjoy Tecolote canyon. It's one of the lager neighborhood canyons in SD. Did you go east from the golf course towards Genesse, or stay in the main canyon?
Old 07-11-20, 07:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

@gsteinb thanks for the photos. Reminds me of the aptly-named Hudson that I picked up about three years ago.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-11-20, 11:16 AM
wktmeow

Originally Posted by TMonk
nice, I quite enjoy Tecolote canyon. It's one of the lager neighborhood canyons in SD. Did you go east from the golf course towards Genesse, or stay in the main canyon?
I started from one of the entrances in my neighborhood near the Genesee side and then went past the driving range and onto the other side to Balboa and back
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 07-11-20, 06:06 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Another easy day, 45ish miles for 2.5ish hrs with NP around 200. Humidity at start was 95% but I haven’t felt affected by the high humidity. Last ride tomorrow morning before heading back to our house (we only live 70 mins from my parents). Looking forward to my Tuesday ramp test, really hoping to go to 295w from 285: I’m feeling really good
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 07-12-20, 10:00 PM
aaronmcd

Looks like I'll be off the bike and out of the gym for a bit. Rode 75 miles and then tried to make a light, freaked out when I saw a car inching forward, and crashed myself in the intersection, dislocating and/or breaking my little finger of my left hand. Why I stuck out my hands I have no clue. I'm forgetting how to properly fall. My new wheels and the bike seem to be alright. No cars bothered to stop and check on me. Called my wife to pick me up (was close to home) and spent an hour on hold with Kaiser setting up a phone call appointment for tomorrow.
Old 07-12-20, 10:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
14.75 hrs this past week, which is the most since before pneumonia. Got in 4x20 @ what is supposedly 94-96% on Saturday and rolled around for 4 hrs nice and easy today. Overall feel pretty much back to normal, which is a mighty good feeling.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 07-12-20, 10:45 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Looks like I'll be off the bike and out of the gym for a bit. Rode 75 miles and then tried to make a light, freaked out when I saw a car inching forward, and crashed myself in the intersection, dislocating and/or breaking my little finger of my left hand. Why I stuck out my hands I have no clue. I'm forgetting how to properly fall. My new wheels and the bike seem to be alright. No cars bothered to stop and check on me. Called my wife to pick me up (was close to home) and spent an hour on hold with Kaiser setting up a phone call appointment for tomorrow.
That's a real bummer, heal quick!

Also since fudgy doesn't hang around here anymore I'll go ahead and reset your days since last crash counter.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 07-12-20, 10:50 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
That's a real bummer, heal quick!

Also since fudgy doesn't hang around here anymore I'll go ahead and reset your days since last crash counter.
Oh yeah where is he? Get bored of this place?

I haven't mentioned all my recent dirt crashes since getting the gravel bike - sliding out, hitting a log, trying jumps and falling on my ass...
Old 07-13-20, 06:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm guessing Fudgy is too busy taking care of two toddlers to spend time here.
Old 07-13-20, 10:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Typical endurance training this weekend along the coast and Camp Pendleton.

On Saturday, my wife and I approached the light at Del Mar Heights road going south on PCH. Typically, this is a long light and a lot of traffic with pedestrians.

A group of cyclists were waiting at the light, and then decided that the red light was just a suggestion and went on red. We approached the intersection and stopped. To beat the light, another rider decided to do one of those turn right hook a quick U turn and then continue south on PCH. As he turns right and starts his U turn, it is right in front of a motor cycle cop. He sees the cop, and corrects his direction and almost crashs into the cop.

We continue on PCH and the cop turns right on PCH. We crest the hill and start down the grade with a solid but normal tailwind. As we pass Carmel Mountain Road, we are catching the cop. My wife passes the cop on a flattish section at Torrey Pines beach at 36 mph after the downhill lead out and he looks over at her. I am thinking what is the speed limit here? I stay slightly behind the cop but in the bike lane. The cop slowly pulls away.

PR on Strava for that section of road.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-13-20, 11:31 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Ugh, get better soon, and then stop crashing!
Old 07-13-20, 01:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First set of ZeCannon intervals of the season. Normally, I'm into these by April. Now, just maybe hoping for a CX season.
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.