Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Expected Lifespan of a frame made out of Aluminium or Carbon Fibre or Steel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 06:51 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

I know there is no one "right answer" to the question I am asking, because there are so many variables to take into consideration, including quality of the workmanship and materials used in constructing a frame, but I'm going to give this "how long is a piece of string" question a go anyway.

Let's say the rider is 270 pounds, he rides approx 5,000 miles a year on roads that are okay, with the odd pothole here and there he will encounter.

Would you think it likely that a frame made out of any of the three materials I mentioned in the thread title, would not lasting a decade?

Would they last two decades?

Again assuming the above conditions that I stated would apply, for every year of each decade.

Also assume that each frame comes from a quality manufacturer on a bike that costs about $2,000 retail.
Old 01-31-16, 07:33 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Maybe

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-31-16, 07:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Why not include titanium the forever metal?
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-31-16, 08:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
"Strong, light, cheap. Pick any two."

The issue isn't the material that a bicycle is made out of, it's the design decisions that went into the "strong, light, cheap" triage.
Old 01-31-16, 08:30 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
"Strong, light, cheap. Pick any two."

The issue isn't the material that a bicycle is made out of, it's the design decisions that went into the "strong, light, cheap" triage.
Okay, let's say the choice of frame is out of a Specialized Crosstrail Expert with their M4 aluminium or Giant's Toughroad with their SLR aluminium vs something like the Kona Big Rove ST with 4130 steel or Surly's Disck Trucker 4130 steel.

Forget I asked about Carbon.
Old 01-31-16, 08:45 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
As a very broad generality, steel (or Ti) frames will outlast an aluminum frame since they aren't subject to a finite fatigue life while aluminum is. That said, the fatigue life of a durably built, not ultra light, aluminum frame could be many decades but a steel frame protected from rust damage can be an heirloom.

At your weight don't even think of an ultra light boutique steel (or aluminum) frame. Surly's Disc Trucker should last indefinitely since it's intended to carry the rider and who knows how much luggage weight over long touring distances.
Old 01-31-16, 08:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem for any of the bikes you listed to give good service for 10 years. A bike designed for your weight should hold up, regardless of material. Consider also that if you continue to ride 5000 miles a year, you aren't likely to continue to weigh 270# (unless you are 7 feet tall!) Also, if you stay involved in cycling, 10 years is a long time to go w/o N+1.
Old 01-31-16, 09:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Far more likely a situation which would limit a bike's life span is the components and the frame's ability to be compatible with those components yet to be conceived or designed yet. An example is the BB shell. When the very standard threaded BBs are no longer available the bikes needed them will be at the end of their useful life. A collector of bikes could give you many more examples of the changing standards and the loss of manufacturing of the old fitting components.

I joke with my customers that if steel as a frame material was "discovered" tomorrow it would be hailed as a wonder material. Widely available in numerous shapes, alloys, dimensions (of tubing), a limitless fatigue life (if designed well), lower mining/smelting/processing/joining costs, stronger, stiffer when compared to AL and in some degrees, carbon and TI. Andy. (who among his 20+ bikes has only 1 AL and a couple with parts of Carbon)
Old 01-31-16, 10:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Would you think it likely that a frame made out of any of the three materials I mentioned in the thread title, would not lasting a decade?
Yes. Or maybe, no? Can't parse. Anyhow, an adequate bike can be made of any of these. 50,000 miles under a heavy rider would be stressful for any of them.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Why not include titanium the forever metal?
Why not include phlogiston, for all this debate is worth. Nobendium? Corbomite!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-31-16, 10:37 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
With a 270 lb rider, crabon asplodes the first time said rider dropes the hamer. Rider must always wear shorts or bib with a Kevlar chamois or risk painful maiming or death.
Likes For Wheever:
Old 01-31-16, 10:54 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I know there is no one "right answer" to the question I am asking, because there are so many variables to take into consideration, . . .
Actually, it's a very straightforward calculation if you would just supply those variables. Please include the exact time series of (future) dynamic and static loads and precise CAD models of each frame in question.
Old 01-31-16, 11:08 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Big variables would be maintenance and storage as w.ell as riding conditions.Ridden hard put away wet, winter salty roads, indoor climate controlled storage, weekend putter to the farmers market, hard raced weekly. Many variables in the lifespan of a bicycle.
Old 01-31-16, 11:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Wheever
With a 270 lb rider, crabon asplodes the first time said rider dropes the hamer. Rider must always wear shorts or bib with a Kevlar chamois or risk painful maiming or death.
Spell check is your (or rather, your reader's) friend. BTW, when did the spelling "asplodes" for explodes become trendy? I've seen it several places.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-31-16, 12:18 PM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
10 years is not a long time. Any modern frame with a sufficient weight rating should still be serviceable in that time. But at 5000 miles a year, in half that time you'll be looking to upgrade. Get the bike that makes you want to ride and don't worry about longevity. If you manage to wear out any modern non-ultra-light frame, hang it proudly on the wall and get a new one.
Old 01-31-16, 12:28 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are a lot of factors that determine frame life. But consider: Steel has ten times the fatigue life of aluminum. Titanium is about the same as steel in this respect. I hear that carbon fiber has a very long fatigue life, however -- it is held together by glue and I'd worry about how long that might last.

Joe
Old 01-31-16, 03:12 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
From a purely theoretical perspective, a monocoque carbon frame should last the longest. A carbon fiber frame has the same infinite fatigue life as steel and is not prone to rust or corrosion. Lastly the monocoque construction eliminates the weld seams removing a common failure point of other materials.
Old 01-31-16, 05:14 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maintenance and care are probably the most important factors, rather than actual frame material, imho.
Old 01-31-16, 05:38 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
gsa103:

Steel does not have an infinite fatigue life unless the stresses are very low. The same is true for Titanium. Aluminum has no lower limit and will eventually fail no matter how low the stresses are.

https://www.asminternational.org/docu...81G_Sample.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

Joe
Old 01-31-16, 06:41 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
A good quality frame, intended for other than a lightweight rider, will easily last ten years. That applies to all materials. It also assumes decent maintenance. At 270 lbs, I would be more concerned with wheels, saddle, sestposts, and bars over the same time.
Old 01-31-16, 06:44 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Joe Minton
Steel does not have an infinite fatigue life unless the stresses are very low. The same is true for Titanium. A
The stress below which steel's fatigue life is "infinite" isn't all that low. It's about 50% of the ultimate tensile strength which, for Cr-Mo alloys, is a pretty high stress. In realistic terms, except for frames made with very thin wall tubes where low weight is the major design intent, steel or Ti frames will out live any non-abusive rider by quite a lot.
Old 01-31-16, 07:57 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Given the parameters you described above, I'd be more concerned about wheel life than frame life.
Old 01-31-16, 10:07 PM
oldsmobum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Not trying to be rude or combative, but this isn't accurate. Hopefully sarcasm?

In my experience...
Get whatever you want NEW, and keep an eye on the warranty before you buy. Specialized is lifetime, I think Giant might be too. Then it won't matter as much. Been in the business a long time, and I've seen failures in carbon, Ti, alloy, and steel. Mostly carbon and alloy, but they also comprise the majority of the bikes I encounter around here. I've never in all of my years (fortunately) personally seen a catastrophic (explode) failure from use in any of these materials. Usually you get warning in the form of creaking or excessive flex... Not to say that catastrophic failures never do or never have happened. Now driving into the garage with the bike on the roof, or getting into an accident with a car is another story... I would also suggest steel is the most reliable, but part of this might have to do with the fact that lightness isn't as stressed on steel frames these days for the most part. Carbon has a tendency to crack near the bottom bracket or to come unbonded from metal parts. There are some TIRED old carbon bikes running around still though... Alloy's life can also be impacted by the environment, much like steel it can also corrode in certain environments... Like by the sea. It also has a fatigue life as other's have mentioned. But if you get a quality bike with a good manufacturer's warranty, I wouldn't worry too much.

That being said, I am biased towards steel. Maybe it would be ti if I could afford it, but that would also require a bit more maintenance because it doesn't play nice with dissimilar metals. My two cents.
Likes For oldsmobum:
Old 02-01-16, 02:32 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Far more likely a situation which would limit a bike's life span is the components and the frame's ability to be compatible with those components yet to be conceived or designed yet. An example is the BB shell. When the very standard threaded BBs are no longer available the bikes needed them will be at the end of their useful life. A collector of bikes could give you many more examples of the changing standards and the loss of manufacturing of the old fitting components.
I'm pretty sure that one will be able to get a 68mm BSA for as long as I am alive, plus I'm the kind of guy who is happy to keep spares.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't think it would be a problem for any of the bikes you listed to give good service for 10 years. A bike designed for your weight should hold up, regardless of material. Consider also that if you continue to ride 5000 miles a year, you aren't likely to continue to weigh 270# (unless you are 7 feet tall!) Also, if you stay involved in cycling, 10 years is a long time to go w/o N+1.
In recent times I have developed a mindset of trying to make my things last as long as is practical, so if I buy something I really like to begin with, I'll be happy with it for some time.

Also I will always have two bikes and as my existing bike is pretty old, it probably could be retired if something so amazing comes out to make my newest bike seem lacking.

Originally Posted by dedhed
Big variables would be maintenance and storage as w.ell as riding conditions.Ridden hard put away wet, winter salty roads, indoor climate controlled storage, weekend putter to the farmers market, hard raced weekly. Many variables in the lifespan of a bicycle.
For the purpose of the question, assume each bike would be well cared for, no salty roads and ridden moderately hard for those 5,000 miles a year.

Originally Posted by Kopsis
10 years is not a long time. Any modern frame with a sufficient weight rating should still be serviceable in that time. But at 5000 miles a year, in half that time you'll be looking to upgrade. Get the bike that makes you want to ride and don't worry about longevity. If you manage to wear out any modern non-ultra-light frame, hang it proudly on the wall and get a new one.
I want the warm and fuzzy feelings one gets from having a long owned bike that keeps on keeping.
Old 02-01-16, 02:35 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
A good quality frame, intended for other than a lightweight rider, will easily last ten years. That applies to all materials. It also assumes decent maintenance. At 270 lbs, I would be more concerned with wheels, saddle, sestposts, and bars over the same time.
I'm happy to change wheels, saddles, seatposts and the like, I just want to avoid changing my frame.

Originally Posted by tcarl
Given the parameters you described above, I'd be more concerned about wheel life than frame life.
Happy to change wheels as needed, but want to keep the same frame for as long as I can.
Old 02-01-16, 03:46 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As others have said, a steel frame that isn't built to be lightweight could last virtually indefinitely. I volunteered as a mechanic at a bike charity for a couple of years. It wasn't unusual for us to be given bikes that were forty or fifty years old. Aside from crash damage, there was very rarely a problem with the frames beyond a superficial, and trivial, patina of rust. One old guy brought in a Holdsworth that he had bought new in 1952. God knows how many gazillion miles he'd put on it. It was perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.