Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Second Wheelset...Yay or Nay?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 11-04-16, 08:43 AM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I use two sets of tires with my bike (Ritchey Crossmax and 700x38 road tires) and switch them out at least once or twice a month depending on what I feel like riding terrain wise. I have a line on a wheel set I can grab for a reasonable price (under $100) that seem in decent condition that already have the cassette I need on it. Is it worth shelling out to save time swapping tires on/off the single set of wheels I have?
Old 11-04-16, 09:02 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 170 Posts
Only you can really answer that. But if it were me, I would do it. A wheelset you can use for under a C-note is a no brainer in my book.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 11-04-16, 09:13 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I use two wheelsets, one set up with road tires and the other with gravel/knobby tires. It is so much more convenient to just swap wheels. Sometimes I have to adjust the rear disc caliper between switches, but no other issues besides that. For under $100, I'd say do it.
Old 11-04-16, 09:15 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by rocthrower View Post
i use two wheelsets, one set up with road tires and the other with gravel/knobby tires. It is so much more convenient to just swap wheels. Sometimes i have to adjust the rear disc caliper between switches, but no other issues besides that. For under $100, i'd say do it.
+1
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-04-16, 09:40 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 81 Posts
I really liked having two wheels and being able to swap out road/dirt set-ups pretty easily.

Then I got two bikes, I like having two bikes a lot better. Upfront cost is kind of a pain but it's so nice to be able to grab a more specialized bike for terrain/conditions.
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 11-04-16, 09:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,282 Times in 1,118 Posts
$100.. not brainer.

I wanted to have both knobby and 32mm street tires. I also wanted the street tires to be tubeless, so I purchased a second set of wheels for significantly more that $100.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-04-16, 10:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
Cross , bring 2 bikes , & a friend to hand you the clean one..

Race cross on Tubulars ? yea more wheels, since the glue and puncture repair takes time..
Old 11-04-16, 10:38 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked 2,448 Times in 1,134 Posts
Absolutely. Not just for the knobby/slick issue, but if you find yourself doing a lot of indoor riding, it's nice to have rear wheel you put an old tire on without worrying about squaring off a good tire.
Old 11-04-16, 10:42 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm up to three sets, the third is an old MTB wheelset I mounted some studded snow tyres on. Less bikes, more wheelsets is my mantra.
Likes For Mr IGH:
Old 11-05-16, 12:20 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's definitely worth it, especially if you use the same exact hubs...saves you time with any derailleur adjustments due to minor spacing differences.
Likes For UnfilteredDregs:
Old 11-05-16, 12:30 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 48 Posts
Spare wheels are the way to go. My problem is that spare wheels and spare parts tempt me to buy a new frame eventually.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 11-05-16, 12:38 PM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You guys using your gravel bike as a road bike too? I have a road bike, that I'm considering selling.

Swapping out wheels came to mind as a solution to kill two birds with one stone and just keep my gravelbike. Would appreciate any experiences shared.
Old 11-06-16, 11:05 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Duende108 View Post
You guys using your gravel bike as a road bike too? I have a road bike, that I'm considering selling.

Swapping out wheels came to mind as a solution to kill two birds with one stone and just keep my gravelbike. Would appreciate any experiences shared.
Always been riding road bikes. Just got into this gravel bike thingie. Bought one as a 'travel - do it all' bike. I love it.

40mm knobbies for off road, and 30/32 Roubaix tyres for road, and hardpack. On road, my overall speed is about a mile per hour slower over 2-4 hour rides. Insignificant, as I usually ride alone, and dont have to keep up with anyone. The benefit is that bad roads [common in India] and some off roading is possible with the gravel bike, even with the 30/32 [which measures 34 on the wider rims].

I'm keeping my road bikes though.
Likes For deepakvrao:
Old 11-06-16, 09:56 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Duende108 View Post

In theory, it'd be great to have a all-rounder bike for gravel and road duty, and only swapping wheels/tires. In practice I've not encountered a gravel bike that rides as nice as a road bike on paved roads (with road wheelset and tires, of course). Differences in weight and geometry have been noticeable enough for me to want to keep my road bikes around. Actually, given the riding I do, if I had to sell one of my bikes I'd probably sell my gravel bike before I sell a road bike.
Old 11-08-16, 12:11 AM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys, my gravel bike's geometry is pretty close to my road bike. Just a slightly longer wheel base created by the 47 fork rake.

Although it weighs a couple pounds more than my road bike (19 lbs), it doesn't feel sluggish at all on the road.

Just got it and I'm still learning its personality. Anyways... thx for sharing. I'll hold onto my road bike for now. In time we shall see.
Old 11-15-16, 03:56 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ended up buying the wheel set last weekend. The wheels are Mavic Classics Pro. I bought them from the original owner and they came off of a Merlin road bike.
Likes For 09box: