Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Austro-Daimler Inter 10

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Austro-Daimler Inter 10

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-17, 02:43 PM
deadllama

Bikes: Austro-Daimler Inter 10, Raleigh R600, Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Austro-Daimler Inter 10

Some of you who hang out in the eBay/Craigslist thread may recognize this one:

It's been rebuilt, but I still think it's gorgeous I'm still rebuilding the Peugeot I've been posting about, but it's too small for me, and I got this one down to a price I couldn't pass up for a 531 bike. From the Craigslist ad, which has a lot of good photos:

Just put 2 new 27" tires and tubes on, new handlebar tape, 2 new brake hoods, new seat, forged Sakae Custom Road Champion Handle bars, and all Shimano parts.
I have a Brooks I might put on it, but this saddle is new and nicely padded. I can't decide if I want to commute on it so I get to ride it every day, or if I think it's too pretty for that. The paint looks beautiful in the sun in a way I wasn't able to get in a photo.
Likes For deadllama:
Old 10-14-17, 04:10 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had an A-D Inter 10 frame that I built-up with a Campy Nuovo Record gruppo and sew-ups. Had a Brooks Pro saddle. Made for a smooth-riding club-ridder/fast tourer.
Old 10-14-17, 05:19 PM
goatalope
Biking Viking.

Bikes: '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nice. I have a similar Inter 10. Love the huge tire clearance.
Old 10-15-17, 09:00 AM
deadllama

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know it’s not all original... but I’m curious about these housing clips on the top tube. They’re Dura-Ace and the rest of the Shimano stuff on the bike seems to be 600. Can anybody who bought one of these new comment on whether these are original? Did Shimano have different housing clips for the different groups?

(Also someone overtighetened them and crushed the housing and kinked the brake cable, which I’m glad I discovered before I took it out for a test ride with no working rear brake!)
Old 10-15-17, 10:06 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
The Inter 10 is a great 531 framed bike and often sell under a true value price, so a bargain if you find one. The paint is particularly durable and build quality very high, these also tend to a longer TT which some riders prefer (or NEED). A-D (Puch Steyr) was a very early adopter of Shimano stuff in Europe, including using their dropouts on frames such as this but i don't think they were fitted with either a full 600 or DA gruppo, more of a mixed bag including some Huret stuff (like FDs) often mixed in. You can replace the damaged clip with whatever brand you like, I think the chrome of the DAs were very good but they don't need to be a matched trio. IIRC these were made from "imperial" dimensioned 531DB tubes rather than metric, true?
Old 10-15-17, 01:08 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by deadllama
I know it’s not all original... but I’m curious about these housing clips on the top tube. They’re Dura-Ace and the rest of the Shimano stuff on the bike seems to be 600. Can anybody who bought one of these new comment on whether these are original? Did Shimano have different housing clips for the different groups?
My Trek 730 was built as a 736, Shimano Arabesque 600 brakes, levers, derailleurs and hubs- the TT cable clips are Dura Ace.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-27-17, 11:21 AM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/images/attach/jpg.gif

I have the ladies version. Paint is stunning in the sun/but showes every finger print....haha. Upgraded the crank/stem and bars/saddle and seatpost (the gs was chunky looking, heavy and swagged at the top. Original rims were 27" concave but on phil hubs-so had respoked Got my brooks
from beloved bianchigirl here in the forums. My fav ride. One of those under rated rides and well worth upgrades. Congrats on your find! I think of them as a rare thing/even if a production bike from the boom years. Mine is a 76....a true ten speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my lady bikes 003 smaller.jpg (1.16 MB, 456 views)
Likes For juls:
Old 10-27-17, 11:30 AM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would love to find the elusive shimano 600 centerpull rear brake. I sometimes hit the qr on the side pull with my heal....https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1509125268

Has to have the longer yolk wire/as it is a mixte. Just puttin it out there
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
shimano 600.jpeg (41.7 KB, 446 views)
Old 10-27-17, 11:58 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice find! I agree with @unworthy1 that they're under-valued. Comfy bike. They were never sold in Europe, so I was surprised to stumble across one a few years ago. Turned out to be an American import, with an interesting mix of Shimano 600 EX, Normandy, Araya and SunTour:

Old 10-30-17, 06:31 AM
deadllama

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by juls
I would love to find the elusive shimano 600 centerpull rear brake. I sometimes hit the qr on the side pull with my heal....https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1509125268

Has to have the longer yolk wire/as it is a mixte. Just puttin it out there
I’m really not crazy about the 600 side pull brakes. I have the same problem with the quick release... just seems like it’s not the best design. My rear one has worked its way open once or twice. Brake still works with it open but it takes a lot more travel from the lever before it actually grabs the rim. The early Shimano levers (these) look really cool, though.

Since I’ve been riding the AD to work I’m probably going to find something to swap them out for that is better but period-correct. (If there is such a thing.) Don’t want to have crappy brakes while riding past a bus terminal.

Last edited by deadllama; 10-30-17 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 01:35 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Do you know what the number or name of the frame colour? I really want to repaint my project bike in that colour.
Old 12-07-17, 09:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
The Inter 10 is a great 531 framed bike and often sell under a true value price, so a bargain if you find one. The paint is particularly durable and build quality very high, these also tend to a longer TT which some riders prefer (or NEED).
Agree with these comments. My Olympian has (I believe) the same frame, DB531, likely same geometry. Fork is possibly different but Inter10 may have seen differences over it's lifespan.

For the record - Olympian = 62cm ctc seattube with 59cm toptube.
Old 08-18-18, 07:02 AM
stellarpod
Staunch 2A advocate

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10, Bridgestone RADAC 3100, Cannondale hardtail mountain bike

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Do you know what the number or name of the frame colour? I really want to repaint my project bike in that colour.
I, too, would like some information regarding this frame color. I bought an Inter 10 in 1984 from a bike shop in Norman, OK (Buchanan Bicycle) and still have the frameset. It came with a hodgepodge mix of components, including a titanium-frame Huret rear derailleur. Most of the rest was low-end stuff, not particularly noteworthy. The paint on the other hand, was exquisite deep burgundy with gold pen striping. Mine had the beautiful A-D head badge rather than the decal that was used on some examples. Unfortunately, in a stupid youthful move, I had some brazing done to the bike and bodged a repaint job. It now resides in my attic. I'm thinking seriously about having the frame refitted and painted and building it back up with a period-correct Campy Record group. I'm currently searching for an accurate set of decals. And having some info on that spectacular deep paint color would be most helpful.

Steve
Old 08-18-18, 07:29 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
You can also make one into a mountain bike. Photos from '83.

Old 08-18-18, 07:40 AM
stellarpod
Staunch 2A advocate

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10, Bridgestone RADAC 3100, Cannondale hardtail mountain bike

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
You can also make one into a mountain bike.
Wow, hadn't even considered that a fat tire would fit between the chain stays and seat stays. Did you have to cold-set them to make room?

Steve
Old 08-18-18, 07:50 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
bulgier.net - /pics/bike/Catalogs/AustroDaimler/

There may be something of interest to all, buried in these catalogs somewhere. There is a thread kicking around here somewhere on the Bike Forums, where someone initially shared these catalogs with me, and part of the dialogue was centered around this color. I have since seen a low end Puch bicycle that had a "burgundy" color paint job, but, I could swear it was a much different color than what I remember for my low end Puch/Austro Daimler. Mine had a deep ruddy brown semi-translucent finish that reminded me of the multi shade coloring one sees peering thru a glass of quality root beer while holding it up to the sun. I'm fairly sure that the salesman called the color "Burnt Sugar", which also seems like a fairly good description. Sorry, I don't have any info on a good way to color match it.
Old 08-18-18, 07:52 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Coldsetting is a mild description for what I did. In stock form the frame almost worked. To get a 2.125 Stumpjumper knobby to live in there my method was to clamp the BB shell in a vise, then pry the dropouts apart a couple more inches, then drive a 2x4 up between the chainstays and then re-close the dropout spacing with that wood in place. It was not pretty and the chainstays had kinks in them, but I began with a frame whose seat tube had been crushed in a workstand and it was FREE so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying. I rode it for a couple of years and gave the frame to a friend when I got a Cimarron frame and transferred my parts over. The A-D frame later gave out when the seat tube cracked through just above the bottom bracket.
Old 08-18-18, 07:57 AM
stellarpod
Staunch 2A advocate

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Coldsetting is a mild description for what I did. In stock form the frame almost worked. To get a 2.125 Stumpjumper knobby to live in there my method was to clamp the BB shell in a vise, then pry the dropouts apart a couple more inches, then drive a 2x4 up between the chainstays and then re-close the dropout spacing with that wood in place. It was not pretty and the chainstays had kinks in them, but I began with a frame whose seat tube had been crushed in a workstand and it was FREE so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying. I rode it for a couple of years and gave the frame to a friend when I got a Cimarron frame and transferred my parts over. The A-D frame later gave out when the seat tube cracked through just above the bottom bracket.
Thanks for the clarification. I love seeing old bikes being used - even if it means re-purposing them.

Steve
Old 08-18-18, 08:03 AM
stellarpod
Staunch 2A advocate

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've noticed also a wide variety of versions in the decal set - including the "Inter 10" decal on the top tube.

This example looks like the gold "Inter 10" decal on my top tube.

This one, albeit similar, is a bolder (demi) font in white rather than gold.

This one shows a completely different, sanserif white version of the "Inter 10" decal as well as a completely different variety on the down tube.

Steve
Old 08-20-18, 09:17 PM
deadllama

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stellarpod
I've noticed also a wide variety of versions in the decal set - including the "Inter 10" decal on the top tube...
Weird. As you can see from the photo up top, mine has the A-D decal (and shifters) from the top photo here and the Inter 10 decal from the bottom photo.

(Also, since I haven't been back to this thread in a while, I put my Brooks saddle on mine, and took it to my LBS and got new grease in all the places I didn't want to buy the tools to be able to get to, and it still rides like a dream, but sometimes it feels a bit too pretty to be commuting on )
Old 10-19-18, 07:32 PM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My stepfather recently gave me his old Inter 10. The rim on the back is trash, kinda thinking about making a major change and switching the whole thing over to 650B.
Old 10-22-18, 05:09 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmorr
My stepfather recently gave me his old Inter 10. The rim on the back is trash, kinda thinking about making a major change and switching the whole thing over to 650B.
Lucky you! You could go to 650B if you have a spare set of wheels lying around but I would ride as-is first to see how you like it. I'm pretty sure 700-32 tires will fit and that should give a nice fast, cushy ride without the trouble or expense of going to 650B.
Old 10-22-18, 05:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmorr
Originally Posted by Iowegian
Lucky you! You could go to 650B if you have a spare set of wheels lying around but I would ride as-is first to see how you like it. I'm pretty sure 700-32 tires will fit and that should give a nice fast, cushy ride without the trouble or expense of going to 650B.
+ 1. I'll bet that bike will take a fat tire and this will save you a lot of money.
Old 10-22-18, 07:51 PM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting thought, I could swap the rear wheel over from my Rossin, but I don't know how wide a tire that rim will take.
Old 10-29-18, 07:09 AM
deadllama

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowegian
700-32 should work, mine came to me with 27” x 1.25” on it which is close (in width anyway).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.