Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

$1000-$2000 Range

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

$1000-$2000 Range

Old 08-19-19, 09:15 PM
letmeknow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$1000-$2000 Range

Hi,

Looking to upgrade to a road bike in the $1000-$2000 range. I'm wondering what everyone would recommend/would like to share. Doesnt have to be fit to my likings just thought this would be a good thread for people who are looking to maximize their value with this price point. What used bikes tend to go for good value from 2017, 2018, 2019 series? Any specific brands that riders prefer?

What I'm specifically looking for is a lightweight road bike (Not a Aero or Tri bike) that I can use for races/ mid distance. Would prefer mid-compact crankset, but I'm really open to any suggestions. I've done my GCN research/test rode a fair amount and spoken to local bike shops, but I thought this would be useful. Let me know!
Old 08-19-19, 10:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
100 bikes could be listed that fall into this range and it would make a search no clearer than simply googling 'road bike'.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-19-19, 10:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So you've test ridden some bikes, but none of them spoke to you? Go ride more. Asking people their favorite make/model of road bike is like asking for their favorite color or favorite ice cream flavor. You're just gonna end up with more questions.
Old 08-20-19, 05:54 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I would go ride a number of current bikes and the look for last year’s bike or the year before. I always buy the previous year model and save a lot of cash on a better equipped bike. For instance, I recently bought a 2018 Giant tcr advanced pro 0 disc for half of what it detailed for new. My experience has been that cannondale, giant and specialized will deal on leftover bikes. The Trek stores in my area think they are doing me a favor by taking 20 dollars off a 2 year old bike, so I don’t bother with them....your experience may vary though.

if your looking for opinions, I would look at the Giant tcr/defy, spec tarmac, and cannondale supersix evo. Be sure to check rear tire clearance on all the bikes to ensure you can run at least a 28mm if you choose.
Old 08-20-19, 08:11 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
There's lots of options at your price point. Keep in mind that for all the talk, there's not much of a real world difference between everything. Where are you located?
In the US, typically Giant and Trek are the best bang for the buck. Current aluminum bikes from bigger brands ride the same as carbon ones, so I wouldn't even bother considering carbon at your price point. As far as quality, they're all the same for the most part. You can ride a lot of the 'wrong' bike before you start giving up anything - for example the best aero road bike is only 20w @ 27mph faster than a horrific one (looking at Tour Int tests) that's about 5% or .25-.5mph if you're hitting it extremely hard. Stock to good tires, good bike position, and good clothes will make a much much much bigger difference (assuming the same fitness).

If you've got one bike, I'd steer you toward an "endurance" or even "gravel" bike, so you can do some light off roading on a second set of fat tires. The penalty, again, is not high. I'd also suggest getting a cheaper old stock Tiagra over a current 105 bike or used bike, and spending more money on accessories (lights, shorts, seat, jersey, bottles, cages, glasses, computer...it never ends), as 10sp vs 11sp isn't much of a change. You're right on the gearing, just go with a 50/34 front chainring bike (pretty much every bike now). It's unlikely you'll need taller gearing. Also, IMO, paint job is more important than most things- spend money on the coolest bike.
Old 08-20-19, 08:38 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
1. What do you ride now? What do you like/dislike about it?

2. What have you test ridden or rented? What do you like/don't like about those?

3. What's your experience? You say races/mid distance, what do you mean? Are you planning on doing crits, or stacking up the Gran Fondos? Will this be a pure race bike, or a single do-everything bike?

4. Dry/wet?

5. Hills/flats?

6. Gravel/pavement only?

If you're just looking for a deal, it might just be worth asking your LBS if they have any prior-years' leftovers in your size and start there.
Old 08-20-19, 08:49 AM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
100 bikes could be listed that fall into this range and it would make a search no clearer than simply googling 'road bike'.
Thanks for your help!
Old 08-20-19, 08:49 AM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So you've test ridden some bikes, but none of them spoke to you? Go ride more. Asking people their favorite make/model of road bike is like asking for their favorite color or favorite ice cream flavor. You're just gonna end up with more questions.
Whats your favorite make/model of a road bike? Whats your favorite color or favorite ice cream flavor?
Old 08-20-19, 08:51 AM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
I would go ride a number of current bikes and the look for last year’s bike or the year before. I always buy the previous year model and save a lot of cash on a better equipped bike. For instance, I recently bought a 2018 Giant tcr advanced pro 0 disc for half of what it detailed for new. My experience has been that cannondale, giant and specialized will deal on leftover bikes. The Trek stores in my area think they are doing me a favor by taking 20 dollars off a 2 year old bike, so I don’t bother with them....your experience may vary though.

if your looking for opinions, I would look at the Giant tcr/defy, spec tarmac, and cannondale supersix evo. Be sure to check rear tire clearance on all the bikes to ensure you can run at least a 28mm if you choose.
Awesome, Thanks. I was looking at the Giant TCR/Defy series as well. Heard some good stuff on the cannondale as well. I was looking into a Roubaix as well, but the 2019 version because of its upgrade.
Old 08-20-19, 08:57 AM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
There's lots of options at your price point. Keep in mind that for all the talk, there's not much of a real world difference between everything. Where are you located?
In the US, typically Giant and Trek are the best bang for the buck. Current aluminum bikes from bigger brands ride the same as carbon ones, so I wouldn't even bother considering carbon at your price point. As far as quality, they're all the same for the most part. You can ride a lot of the 'wrong' bike before you start giving up anything - for example the best aero road bike is only 20w @ 27mph faster than a horrific one (looking at Tour Int tests) that's about 5% or .25-.5mph if you're hitting it extremely hard. Stock to good tires, good bike position, and good clothes will make a much much much bigger difference (assuming the same fitness).

If you've got one bike, I'd steer you toward an "endurance" or even "gravel" bike, so you can do some light off roading on a second set of fat tires. The penalty, again, is not high. I'd also suggest getting a cheaper old stock Tiagra over a current 105 bike or used bike, and spending more money on accessories (lights, shorts, seat, jersey, bottles, cages, glasses, computer...it never ends), as 10sp vs 11sp isn't much of a change. You're right on the gearing, just go with a 50/34 front chainring bike (pretty much every bike now). It's unlikely you'll need taller gearing. Also, IMO, paint job is more important than most things- spend money on the coolest bike.
This thread needs more people such as yourself. Really good info for riders such as myself. Thank you for putting in the time. I'm really back and forth about aluminum and Carbon at this price point. I also believe that everything should at least be 105 above $1300. Im most likely traveling towards the higher end of this price point. Im in NY, so I have a fitness bike for urban traveling and used to have a road bike where Im originally from (Up north), but IMO people shouldnt ride with such high STA in NYC. Might as well be asking to be hit by a car. I'm looking at a Giant Defy 2 2018 for about $1000 in perfect shape with all accessories included. Thought this would be a good endurance bike to try, but its a good distance to travel to get to it.
Old 08-20-19, 09:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by letmeknow
Thanks for your help!
Any time I can suggest googling something and am thanked for it, I know Ive done some good for others in life.***
Old 08-20-19, 09:25 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
...What used bikes tend to go for good value from 2017, 2018, 2019 series? Any specific brands that riders prefer?...
I've bought a fair number of used bikes and have gotten some great bikes for much less than they would have cost new. If you are in that market you have to be both very patient and willing to take what comes to you. I have saved searches on CL and ebay, so I get an email when the things I may be interested in come up for sale. I have to wade through a lot of crap before something interesting comes up, and it's usually not quite exactly what I would have gotten new.

If I were looking at a new lightweight modern road bike in your price-range, the Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 would probably be at the top of the list unless I happened to stumble on a leftover bike that a dealer was heavily discounting to get out the door.
Old 08-21-19, 09:51 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Some good options have been mentioned here. One thing to keep in mind about Cannondale is that they use a unique bottom bracket specification that can somewhat limit your choices in terms of what BB you can use. Unfortunately, they are almost unequivocally the kings of aluminum. The allez sprint and even the Emonda ALR to a lesser extent are known to be somewhat rough riding. This is more of a concern if you are quite light.

Have you given a solid thought to whether you want disc or rim brakes? The upgrade from rim to disc will cost around $300 usually, which is not insignificant. I would say that if you plan on keeping this bike for a while, then go for disc. If this is a stepping stone to a high performance carbon bike later on, the weight/complexity/cost savings with rim brakes might be worth it.

Also, regardless of which bike you buy, I recommend leaving room for two vanity upgrades (ie, besides saddle, lights, computer etc). 1) a one piece bottom bracket if your bike has pressfit and 2) high end tires. Those two upgrades will make a big difference to the feel of your bike, and you can replace the OEM ones after they wear out so it’s not a completely unnecessary expense.

Last edited by smashndash; 08-29-19 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-21-19, 10:51 AM
SundayNiagara

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 2020 Trek Emonda SL 5 is $2100 and can probably be had for under $2k. Fully 105-equipped.
Old 08-21-19, 11:30 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Hi,

Looking to upgrade to a road bike in the $1000-$2000 range. I'm wondering what everyone would recommend/would like to share. Doesnt have to be fit to my likings just thought this would be a good thread for people who are looking to maximize their value with this price point. What used bikes tend to go for good value from 2017, 2018, 2019 series? Any specific brands that riders prefer?

What I'm specifically looking for is a lightweight road bike (Not a Aero or Tri bike) that I can use for races/ mid distance. Would prefer mid-compact crankset, but I'm really open to any suggestions. I've done my GCN research/test rode a fair amount and spoken to local bike shops, but I thought this would be useful. Let me know!
One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten - shop for a bike shop, not a bike.

There are an enormous amount of options in the 1k-2k range for what you're looking for (other than the exclusive high-end brands, virtually every bike company has something in the mid-range Shimano 105-equipped $1500/$2k range) - but despite all the techy talk on the marketing material, most aluminum/lower-range CF 105-equipped bikes are roughly going to perform the same for you as long as they actually fit you properly.

It'd be a better investment to go to shops near your area, ask what they'd recommend in that range, determine which ones you'd like to have a longish-term working relationship with, and buy LBS Brand X's AL/CF 105-Tiagra equipped mid-range racer.

Oh, and remember: Pedals (despite having the groupset names on them, Shimano 105/Ultegra/etc pedals virtually never come with sold bikes), shoes, and other gear add up. Budget for that stuff too.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-22-19, 09:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Lots of good suggestions here. And, lots of good options. I bought a new CAAD 12 a couple months ago. Cost me $1300 and I love it. There are lots of other brands/bikes that could be similar deals for you. Time to go researching/shopping.
Old 08-22-19, 02:23 PM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Lots of good suggestions here. And, lots of good options. I bought a new CAAD 12 a couple months ago. Cost me $1300 and I love it. There are lots of other brands/bikes that could be similar deals for you. Time to go researching/shopping.

I really like the Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 . Mostly because I can also finance it and build myself but, I'm looking for used bikes and deals so well see. I think Id be fine paying a small fee every month for the bike I want then to settle.
Old 08-28-19, 03:24 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Most of my research was toward the endurance style but I'd be sure the more road/race styles are priced similarly.

You can get an Aluminum frame/105 groupset/disc bike for well under $2K from pretty much all the major manufacturers.

for example:
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...9-dc76fca46582

To stay under $2K and get a carbon frame, you will need to drop to a lesser groupset or look for closeouts. Giant and Trek always seem to have some good sales.

Edit: Or go with Canyon, LOL.
Old 08-28-19, 08:25 PM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, where Im at I'm a little scared of canyon as I hear they run a little big. And I can't try it before I buy it + large shipping fees etc. I just love the bikes and I feel like they provide great value.

The Caad13 looks nice and is definitely hot in aluminum bikes, but not sure its my style.

I think the price range Im really in is $1500-$2500. If its over 2K Id like Ultegra components on an Aluminum bike.

Really up for some suggestions so please keep them coming. My local dealers like the Cannondales and Specialized. I guess I like the Tarmac sport, but I'm climbing in price and I don't wanna spend $2500 without financing it... which I can't do straight from them. Although, then I'm missing out on free basic maintenance. Thinking about buying online and building/maintaining myself.

The specs I'd like are at least 105 groupset, some cool colors, would love an AERO frame or a really lightweight bike, will probably replace the wheels so don't care, I don't think I even need disc brakes, and Im not crazy about Carbon at this price point, but Carbon/Aluminum doesn't matter for me as I won't be riding this bike in the city and only in the valley in New York. From what I understand 105 to Ultegra isn't the craziest jump, but please advise.

Ribble bikes look cool because you can customize, but I don't know anything about them.
Not crazy about Trek except the Madone.
Really like Bianchi.
I have a Specialized Sirrus SL.
Cannondale is alright.
BMC is alright.
Canyon is cool.
Giant could be cool too.

I don't know what I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but Please if you're out there just recommend deals/purchasing methods/any thoughts because I won't be buying for a month or two. Going to test ride some bikes this weekend.

Trying to find last years bikes for a cheaper price for sure.

Last edited by letmeknow; 08-28-19 at 08:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-28-19, 08:49 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Some good options have been mentioned here. One thing to keep in mind about Cannondale is that they use a unique bottom bracket specification that can somewhat limit your choices in terms of what BB you can use. Unfortunately, they are almost unequivocally the kings of aluminum. The allez sprint and even the Emonda ALR to a lesser extent are known to be somewhat rough riding. This is more of a concern if you are quite light.

Have you given a solid thought to whether you want disc or rim brakes? The upgrade from rim to disc will cost around $300 usually, which is not insignificant. I would say that if you plan on keeping this bike for a while, then I say go for disc. If this is a stepping stone to a high performance carbon bike later on, the weight/complexity/cost savings with rim brakes might be worth it.

Also, regardless of which bike you buy, I recommend leaving room for two vanity upgrades (ie, besides saddle, lights, computer etc). 1) a one piece bottom bracket if your bike has pressfit and 2) high end tires. Those two upgrades will make a big difference to the feel of your bike, and you can replace the OEM ones after they wear out so it’s not a completely unnecessary expense.
This is good info. I did both of these upgrades and it really does transform the way the bike rides.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 08-28-19, 10:22 PM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 7.0 - $1800
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 8.0 - $2300

These are the bikes I like for sure, if anyone has experience with buying Canyon from the US please letmeknow.
Old 08-29-19, 05:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Hi,

100s of bikes available... You must be more precise.

On my side, I ride Giant bikes and love them. It's probably the brand with the best price/quality ratio. Their composite (carbon fibre) material is stiff & durable. Look out for the Giant TCR Advanced 1 Disc. You can get one new around 2000$ USD. Lifetime warranty on frames & forks. Some local shops will even offer free lifetime tuneups when you buy from them.

If you find the geometry too agressive, try a Defy instead.

Right now, the only brand that could ''get me out'' of Giant is Scott, but I don't have 10 000$ right now to spend on a Foil!

Last edited by eduskator; 08-29-19 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 06:24 AM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
100s of bikes available... You must be more precise.

On my side, I ride Giant bikes and love them. It's probably the brand with the best price/quality ratio. Their composite (carbon fibre) material is stiff & durable. Look out for the Giant TCR Advanced 1 Disc. You can get one new around 2000$ USD. Lifetime warranty on frames & forks. Some local shops will even offer free lifetime tuneups when you buy from them.

If you find the geometry too agressive, try a Defy instead.

Right now, the only brand that could ''get me out'' of Giant is Scott, but I don't have 10 000$ right now to spend on a Foil!
Yeah, where Im at I'm a little scared of canyon as I hear they run a little big. And I can't try it before I buy it + large shipping fees etc. I just love the bikes and I feel like they provide great value.

The Caad13 looks nice and is definitely hot in aluminum bikes, but not sure its my style.

I think the price range Im really in is $1500-$2500. If its over 2K Id like Ultegra components on an Aluminum bike.

Really up for some suggestions so please keep them coming. My local dealers like the Cannondales and Specialized. I guess I like the Tarmac sport, but I'm climbing in price and I don't wanna spend $2500 without financing it... which I can't do straight from them. Although, then I'm missing out on free basic maintenance. Thinking about buying online and building/maintaining myself.

The specs I'd like are at least 105 groupset, some cool colors, would love an AERO frame or a really lightweight bike, will probably replace the wheels so don't care, I don't think I even need disc brakes, and Im not crazy about Carbon at this price point, but Carbon/Aluminum doesn't matter for me as I won't be riding this bike in the city and only in the valley in New York. From what I understand 105 to Ultegra isn't the craziest jump, but please advise.

Ribble bikes look cool because you can customize, but I don't know anything about them.
Not crazy about Trek except the Madone.
Really like Bianchi.
I have a Specialized Sirrus SL.
Cannondale is alright.
BMC is alright.
Canyon is cool.
Giant could be cool too.

I don't know what I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but Please if you're out there just recommend deals/purchasing methods/any thoughts because I won't be buying for a month or two. Going to test ride some bikes this weekend.

Trying to find last years bikes for a cheaper price for sure.

Does it help to read my latest post? Looking for a lightweight bike mostly with a more aggressive racing style. Im thinking rim brakes. I like the canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 . I was checking out the Giant TCR and was looking to test ride some Giants this weekend.
Old 08-29-19, 06:29 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Does it help to read my latest post? Looking for a lightweight bike mostly with a more aggressive racing style. Im thinking rim brakes. I like the canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 . I was checking out the Giant TCR and was looking to test ride some Giants this weekend.
As I said, you could easily get a TCR Advanced 1 2019 (disc or not) for your budget. Not only it would be new, but you'd also have a composite frame & Ultegra groupset . The best advice you can get it to try a few of them & pick the one you prefer most.

If that can help, there's one on sale for (the equivalent of) 1700$ USD at my local bicycle shop. It is the Disc version though.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-29-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 07:19 AM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
As I said, you could easily get a TCR Advanced 1 2019 (disc or not) for your budget. Not only it would be new, but you'd also have a composite frame & Ultegra groupset . The best advice you can get it to try a few of them & pick the one you prefer most.

If that can help, there's one on sale for (the equivalent of) 1700$ USD at my local bicycle shop. It is the Disc version though.

Hmm thanks actually, TCR Advanced 1 seems like a good option. Ill check it out. Colors on the website are not my forte, but who knows in person could be cool. Ill try it out and let ya know. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.