Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Maybe another run at the rando world

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-19, 02:16 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe another run at the rando world

For some reason, PBP never really interested me....until this year. Maybe it's time for another run at the rando world with an eye towards a PBP trip in four years. At that point, I'll be in my mid-60s and getting back into long-distances will be good for me.

The first problem I see is that I'm not really a fan of our Arizona routes. Unlike other areas, the roads between major town are far and few between. Take Texas for example - when I road the Stampede six years ago, we were frequently on smallish farm to market roads and traffic wasn't bad. Therefore, I'm willing to travel to get to a series.

I know that a lot of clubs held "brevet week" events this year. Since I haven't paid attention to anyone brevet calendar, does anyone have a feel if any of the clubs will hold a brevet week in 2020? Thanks!
Old 09-04-19, 03:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
RBAs are submitting their calendars about now. Some of them are announcing them so you can find out that way. But they don't get on the RUSA calendar until later
Old 09-04-19, 03:40 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
It's a long way from Phoenix but Devil's week happens every year somwhere in Ontario. I imagine the website will be updated once we get our schedule approved by the ACP. Here's the ride report from the 2016 edition that sums up the fun. The routes should all still be in the route archive if you want to look at the previous ones we ran. I don't know if the routes for 2020 will be the same or not. The cost to do all the rides is just our standard membership fee/insurance, which are around 75$can plus whatever you decide to spend on accommodations, travel, and food.
Likes For clasher:
Old 09-04-19, 04:14 PM
k7baixo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you my friend. I checked the routes from www.randonneursontario.ca/routes/simroutes.html and those look pretty entertaining. I like that one report mentioned running them “semi-audax” style. What a great way to build camaraderie! I’ll keep this on my radar for sure. Thanks again!
Old 09-04-19, 06:09 PM
clasher

Originally Posted by k7baixo
Thank you my friend. I checked the routes from www.randonneursontario.ca/routes/simroutes.html and those look pretty entertaining. I like that one report mentioned running them “semi-audax” style. What a great way to build camaraderie! I’ll keep this on my radar for sure. Thanks again!
I'll try and remember to post here if I see the update.

I was hoping to get down and do the Tucson brevet series this year but work got in the way.
Likes For clasher:
Old 09-04-19, 10:59 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I had raised the possibility of setting up a Brevet Week, and it was pointed out to me that none of the local riders would ride it- they don't want to spend vacation days doing rides that they can do on the weekends anyway.
On Labor Day weekend, we usually have a 600k on Saturday and Sunday, then a 200k on Monday. If 800k in 3 days isn't enough, you could tag on some perms before or after that.
Old 09-05-19, 07:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

In theory, I like the idea. But actually riding a full series in a week sounds like it would be tough.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-05-19, 12:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm sure it would be tough. But if you do the full series, it's "only" 300k more than a 1200k, and spread out over a week, so you'd get several full nights of sleep to recover during it.

There is a "brevet week" in Iowa that I'd like to try, but I don't know if they run them outside of PBP years. There's been some turnover in that club's management, so it's hard to find info on past events.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-05-19, 02:29 PM
k7baixo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StephenH
I had raised the possibility of setting up a Brevet Week, and it was pointed out to me that none of the local riders would ride it- they don't want to spend vacation days doing rides that they can do on the weekends anyway.
On Labor Day weekend, we usually have a 600k on Saturday and Sunday, then a 200k on Monday. If 800k in 3 days isn't enough, you could tag on some perms before or after that.
Hiya bud. I hope all is well! These seem to be more prevalent during a PBP year when, if memory serves me correctly, everyone has to ride a series. I'm hopeful a group reasonably close might have a series next year otherwise, I'll adapt to what's available.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
In theory, I like the idea. But actually riding a full series in a week sounds like it would be tough.
I'll have to chose carefully and avoid one with too much climbing. lol Tap, tap, tap...uh.... Central Florida?!

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm sure it would be tough. But if you do the full series, it's "only" 300k more than a 1200k, and spread out over a week, so you'd get several full nights of sleep to recover during it.

There is a "brevet week" in Iowa that I'd like to try, but I don't know if they run them outside of PBP years. There's been some turnover in that club's management, so it's hard to find info on past events.
Well, there is that. Sleep is good. Something I seemed to miss when riding previously.
Old 09-05-19, 02:38 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Is there normally a rest day in between the 400 & 600?
Old 09-05-19, 04:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

you would think there would have to be more than one day reserved for the 400k, since the time limit is more than 24 hours. Eastern PA had one a while back, there were severe thunderstorms the entire week.
Old 09-05-19, 08:29 PM
clasher

The Tucson brevet week had 2 days between the 400 and 600 but that means a lot of sitting around. We do one rest day between the 400 and 600 in Ontario. Doing a full-value on the 400 makes it a bit less than a day's rest but still possible to get two 8 hour sleeps between the rides. If they run the same route as 2016 it's a pretty flat 400. I found the recovery between the 400 and 600 adequate. The area where the Simcoe rides start isn't very hilly... there aren't really any massive climbs in Ontario, and none of the big ones are on those Simcoe rides. The 600K is a fair amount of climbing but it's a lot of smaller hills so plenty of little recoveries between the hills... the 600 goes up into the Canadian shield so it's lots of rollers up there but usually it's quite picturesque and low traffic. Might even get to see a black bear or a moose!
Likes For clasher: