Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

BITD Bike Shop Fitting

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

BITD Bike Shop Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 10:31 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
BITD Bike Shop Fitting

In the '70s, I purchased a $70 Simplex Prestige 10 speed of Euro Brand X. And then upgraded to a UO-8. Two different shops and neither shop offered to swap stems or bars or seat posts to fine tune the fit. I suppose if I had the dough to buy a frameset and also have the shop build me a bike, then the stem, bars, cranks, toe clips, etc would be chosen based on my physique and riding style. But what if I only had the money for a Raleigh Competition, PX-10, Gitane TDF, or the like? Would the shop offer component swaps to fine tune the fit? I'm thinking that if I went to buy a Raleigh Competition, I'd stand over each of the 3 sizes, and select the one that provided some clearance but not too much clearance and be done. I'm also thinking that the shop wouldn't suggest that I get a different brand or model with a longer or shorter top tube in relation to the seat tube that would "fit" me better. Wouldn't my Competition come home with me equipped with Raleigh's chosen stem length, bar width, crank length, etc. for that size bike?
Old 12-08-19, 10:47 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
BITD, shops sold lots of 25" frames, which we now see with the seatposts slammed...

The right bike is the one for sale.
Old 12-08-19, 11:02 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Usually you'd have tried a couple sizes in a couple lines, and picked what fit you best off the rack. Need a longer top tube? Get the Peugeot instead of the other one. The goal was usually to sell a bike that fit reasonably well. All the usual rules of thumb would have been used. Straddle test first, elbow from the seat to the handlebars, sighting the hub while seated, KOPS. Most people were kind of new to cycling, and didn't really have set preferences. If the rider started riding every day, joined the bike club, started racing, etc, then they could decide for themselves if they wanted a 10cm stem or an 11cm stem.

In a way more consideration was given to fitting. Seatposts and stems were short with limited adjustability. You had to get the frame size/geometry pretty close.
Old 12-09-19, 02:26 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I think that the reason a lot of shops didn't want to change a stem or especially change a handlebar back then was because of the intensive labour involved in doing it, Changing a handlebar involved removing the bar tape and the brake levers and then putting them onto the new handlebar.

Cheers
Old 12-09-19, 02:50 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Well, when we were younger, we eagerly rode bikes that did not fit. So there's that...

Now, having finely tuned our fit and knowing all to well the limitations and capacities of our bodies, we can sense a few millimeters of "not quite right". Some of that is expertise, some is acquired wisdom, and the rest is voodoo.
Old 12-09-19, 04:06 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I think that the reason a lot of shops didn't want to change a stem or especially change a handlebar back then was because of the intensive labour involved in doing it, Changing a handlebar involved removing the bar tape and the brake levers and then putting them onto the new handlebar.
That sort of thing was done -- on high end bikes. On the middle range bikes very very rarely, and they would have been charged. It was simpler and more efficient to steer a customer towards a bike that had a longer or short top tube, or came with a shorter stem already. That's the main reason shops usually carried about 3 lines. Something was likely to be a good fit off the shelf. Practically speaking for an occasional recreational rider, that's good enough.

On the high end -- club riders and racers -- people were just as particular as they are now, possibly more so. The idea that precise fitting is some new concept is false.
Old 12-09-19, 04:12 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
The old one-inch-of-clearance fitting technique worked quite well with horizontal top tubes. Most people ended up with the saddle level with or slightly above the handlebar. It wasn't until the 2000s that people began going to extremes with (edgy but aesthetically repellent) ultra-high saddles and ultra-low bars. (Tip for those people: cylindrical Yakima bike rack crossbars measure 27.2 mm in diameter. Have fun.)

One shop I worked in sold Torpados for a year or two. The distributor was new to bikes and, unlike the more experienced distributors, brought in the full size range of 49 cm to 63 cm, with 1-cm increments through most of the range.

Customers who test rode the three sizes that I recommended trying (i.e., the frame size that I believed was correct as well as the bikes 1 cm bigger and 1 cm smaller) almost always ended up buying a Torpado.

Unfortunately, the distributor stopped bringing the bikes in pretty quickly, I assume because most dealers didn't understand how to use the near-custom size range to facilitate sales.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-09-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 09:28 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
So, is it safe to say that almost every 70's showroom bicycle was sold without exchanging bars or stem? I'm thinking of going back to what I assume are the factory spec bars and stem on my '78 Competition G.S. because I never tire of hearing, "Wow...I used to have one just like that." A bike's stem length, bar width, as well as their make and model are not a big deal, but they are significant and for the pageantry of EroicaCA I can ride with a shorter reach for the maximum enjoyment of all.
Old 12-09-19, 09:57 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Bike Boom = you were going to buy anyway, and quickly. Why jam up the sales cycle? The next buyer was standing behind you.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 12-10-19, 07:13 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
So, is it safe to say that almost every 70's showroom bicycle was sold without exchanging bars or stem?
Based on all of the stock, vintage bikes we find, you're pretty much correct. But I do know of this 15 year old that had Straightblock do some customizing at Big Wheel Bike Shop in Fresno, California.

Old 12-10-19, 08:54 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I worked in a bicycle shop in the mid-1980's, and we still, pretty much, always sold bicycles with the stems, seatposts, handlebars, saddles, etc. as they came from the factory. The shop sold mostly entry level bicycles, occasionally a mid-level bicycle, and never-if-ever higher level bicycles shown in our catalogs. We relied on the "you shouldn't be able to see the front hub" method of sizing bicycles. So, wrong era, good info (as related to the thread starter's original questions), and context. (Really, I'm checking into the thread because I'm interested in the questions Classtime posed....)

Last edited by uncle uncle; 12-10-19 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-10-19, 04:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
The last shop I worked for...circa 1985... did a good business in fitting folk for profit.
Cleat adjustment, position, bike got mounted on a trainer. Took a while.
One item that made the process go faster was a 3ttt adjustable stem. One was modified to accept Cinelli bars.
Today that is much easier, save for bar width and bend, change that and it takes much longer even with a mod open access stem.

What I observed was how many clients arrived and sat on the bike with elbows locked. Boy, that must hurt after a while.
Many also had the saddle way too far forward.
After that was saddle too high. Their pelvis rocked side to side. Saddle sores? "now that you mention it..."
Some riders were so out of whack that they needed two sessions to move them to a better fit on the bike.

Lots of knee pain cured.
It is very hard for someone to assess how comfortable they look on the bike themselves.
Old 12-10-19, 05:02 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Based on all of the stock, vintage bikes we find, you're pretty much correct. But I do know of this 15 year old that had Straightblock do some customizing at Big Wheel Bike Shop in Fresno, California.

Those were "Bro" upgrade prices back then even.
Typical of the shop I worked for was free labor to install upgraded parts, but the "take off" parts went into the parts bin and the new parts were sold at retail.
Of course, they may have been happy to sell a BIG frame.
Old 12-10-19, 05:18 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Those were "Bro" upgrade prices back then even.
Typical of the shop I worked for was free labor to install upgraded parts, but the "take off" parts went into the parts bin and the new parts were sold at retail.
Of course, they may have been happy to sell a BIG frame.
I still remember the shop selling me "one size up" to "grow into". My mother thought that was a good idea, having had to buy clothes and shoes for a growing teenager, even though I saved every penny for it. Super Courses came in 2" increments, the right size for me was (and still is) in between - 24"/60cm CTC.