Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Slow paced riding

Old 01-16-20, 09:38 AM
  #1  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Slow paced riding

Interesting day on the bike. I pull out of my driveway and run into a pleasant neighbor who was walking the neighborhood. We started chatting and we were doing around 3.5 miles per hour. (Me on bicycle and him walking). We did this for around an hour and a half. I found the cycling to be interesting. More bike handling skills. The neighborhood is tight and we turned many many times. At times I was track standing in the turns to allow him to make his turns and continue as we had our conversation. My overall slow speed handling skills and balance have improved today. Not so something I would do everyday (no cardio workout of course).

Any my thoughts on this?
Rajflyboy is offline  
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-16-20, 09:58 AM
  #2  
billyymc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,350
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Interesting day on the bike. I pull out of my driveway and run into a pleasant neighbor who was walking the neighborhood. We started chatting and we were doing around 3.5 miles per hour. (Me on bicycle and him walking). We did this for around an hour and a half. I found the cycling to be interesting. More bike handling skills. The neighborhood is tight and we turned many many times. At times I was track standing in the turns to allow him to make his turns and continue as we had our conversation. My overall slow speed handling skills and balance have improved today. Not so something I would do everyday (no cardio workout of course).

Any my thoughts on this?
You were outdoors, enjoying interacting with another human being, while messing around with your bike handling skills. There are far worse ways to spend time!
billyymc is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 10:08 AM
  #3  
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 6,826

Bikes: '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 711 Posts
I'm a big supporter of spending time with neighbors. It's good that you were on a bike, doing what you enjoy. But connecting to your neighbor, even if for 90 minutes, priceless...
Phil_gretz is offline  
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-16-20, 10:58 AM
  #4  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc View Post
You were outdoors, enjoying interacting with another human being, while messing around with your bike handling skills. There are far worse ways to spend time!
Yes. Not a bad day here
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 11:00 AM
  #5  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
I'm a big supporter of spending time with neighbors. It's good that you were on a bike, doing what you enjoy. But connecting to your neighbor, even if for 90 minutes, priceless...
I started to figure out how to bike, talk and chew gum all at the same time while getting caught up with my neighbor
Rajflyboy is offline  
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-16-20, 11:08 AM
  #6  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Did you stay hydrated? What's the proper kit?

Seriously, it sounds like a good time, and I think sending the "I'm skipping the bike ride to hang with you" message to your neighbor is pretty nice in and of itself.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 11:09 AM
  #7  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 227 Posts
Generally, I ride for the cardio and brain benefits and because it makes me happy, usually. But sometimes, I get out there, and I just sort of piddle around for awhile. Look at the houses. Look at the people. Can't be going more than a few miles an hour. Sometimes, I just sort of want to look around. I'm always so focused on the road and any vehicles on my usual rides, that I never see what I am riding through. Sometimes, I find it nice to just sort of change it up a bit.
bpcyclist is offline  
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-16-20, 11:30 AM
  #8  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,422
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 316 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Did you stay hydrated? What's the proper kit?

Seriously, it sounds like a good time, and I think sending the "I'm skipping the bike ride to hang with you" message to your neighbor is pretty nice in and of itself.
This 👍
Also, I hope you recorded it on Strava, or it didnít happen.
downhillmaster is offline  
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 01-16-20, 11:40 AM
  #9  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,327

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,130 Posts
Any saddle time is time well spent.
caloso is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 11:52 AM
  #10  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Any saddle time is time well spent.

Careful, you'll trigger the guy that ryds a bent.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-16-20, 12:00 PM
  #11  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Did you stay hydrated? What's the proper kit?

Seriously, it sounds like a good time, and I think sending the "I'm skipping the bike ride to hang with you" message to your neighbor is pretty nice in and of itself.
oh

he has a bicycle too (thatís the best part)
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 12:02 PM
  #12  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
This 👍
Also, I hope you recorded it on Strava, or it didnít happen.
No Strava

Actually staying low tech is part of why I ride
Rajflyboy is offline  
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-16-20, 12:16 PM
  #13  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
No Strava

Actually staying low tech is part of why I ride
So, when you ride, are you followed by a scribe recording everything? Scrolls, or it didn't happen.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-16-20, 12:25 PM
  #14  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
So, when you ride, are you followed by a scribe recording everything? Scrolls, or it didn't happen.
how about just an old school bicycle computer (with time, distance,speed)?

did you forget about those basic things?

Bicycled for 2 hours and 20 minutes at 17mph.. how many miles did I ride? Is the math on that difficult for you?
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 12:28 PM
  #15  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
how about just an old school bicycle computer (with time, distance,speed)?

did you forget about those basic things?

Bicycled for 2 hours and 20 minutes at 17mph.. how many miles did I ride? Is the math on that difficult for you?

It's a low-tech joke, Francis.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-16-20, 12:29 PM
  #16  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
It's a low-tech joke, Francis.
i donít know

I think you math skills might need to be upgraded
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 12:42 PM
  #17  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
i donít know

I think you math skills might need to be upgraded

Think what you want, but I cracked myself up with an image of a human computer following you on his own bike. I considered throwing in an abacus, too.

I think you grammar might need an upgrade.

You realize that this whole thing started because we found the idea of recording the walking pace ride funny, right?

And 39.67 miles, btw.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 12:48 PM
  #18  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Think what you want, but I cracked myself up with an image of a human computer following you on his own bike. I considered throwing in an abacus, too.

I think you grammar might need an upgrade.

You realize that this whole thing started because we found the idea of recording the walking pace ride funny, right?

And 39.67 miles, btw.
Dude

just go do what Freddy Mercury told you to do (get on your bikes and ride) 😜
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 01:28 PM
  #19  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Dude

just go do what Freddy Mercury told you to do (get on your bikes and ride) 😜

Says the guy who assigns math problems!

I'm glad you enjoyed your slow ride. I won't make scribe jokes in your presence from now on.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 01:44 PM
  #20  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Track stands and slow speed balance are fun skills to work on from time to time. Trying something new is always a good time.
Rajflyboy is offline  
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-16-20, 01:55 PM
  #21  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Track stands and slow speed balance are fun skills to work on from time to time. Trying something new is always a good time.

When I was a kid, I used to get up to speed, then see how far I could go without pedaling on streets with no discernable downgrade in the direction I was traveling. I became quite adept at really low speed swerves to catch little slopes from the crown of the road and so forth.I remember this as being pretty damn fun and I think I made it an entire mile once, I may have to give it a shot as an old fart.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 02:08 PM
  #22  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,485

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 605 Posts
I'm an expert at slow-paced riding. Can't do track stands, but from 4-6 mph I'm the KOM.
tyrion is offline  
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-16-20, 02:15 PM
  #23  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,327

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,130 Posts
You all might enjoy this:

https://www.newburyport.com/newburyp...alition-event/
caloso is offline  
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-16-20, 02:19 PM
  #24  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,596

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Can I bring my trike? LOL
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-16-20, 02:27 PM
  #25  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,527
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
Can I bring my trike? LOL
Some might ask "Why not ..."
badger1 is offline  
Likes For badger1:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.