Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite 4-bike hitch rack?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-03-20, 12:14 PM
elae

Bikes: Litespeed - Arenberg | Specialized Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

We are looking to buy a bike rack. Would love to know what brands and styles you suggest. Thanks!
Old 05-03-20, 12:26 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I am currently looking for a 2 bike hitch rack as I bought a car last fall that has a trailer hitch.
Old 05-03-20, 01:20 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Thule, Yakima, Saris - all make decent racks at reasonable prices. Stay away from the cheapo stuff.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 05-03-20, 02:02 PM
elae

Originally Posted by MNebiker
Thule, Yakima, Saris - all make decent racks at reasonable prices. Stay away from the cheapo stuff.
Thanks 😊
Old 05-03-20, 05:09 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I love the 1Up USA, or it's "spin-off", Quik-Rack, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg.
Likes For Dirt Farmer:
Old 05-03-20, 05:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
I've got a Yakima FullSwing 4-bike hitch rack. It's well made, however, there is no way I can get more than 3 road bikes on it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-03-20, 09:45 PM
elae

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
I love the 1Up USA, or it's "spin-off", Quik-Rack, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg.
Thanks! I’ll check it out 😊
Old 05-03-20, 09:46 PM
elae

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've got a Yakima FullSwing 4-bike hitch rack. It's well made, however, there is no way I can get more than 3 road bikes on it.
Thanks! I’ll check it out 😊
Old 05-04-20, 05:41 AM
delacrue96

Bikes: 2003 Women's Trek 7200 Multirack 15 inch Dusk Blue

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
+1 for Thule. We have the Thule Apex Swing 4 bike rack for 2 inch hitch, https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../TH9027XT.html. Looks great on back of my CRV. Hauled our bikes from panhandle FL to gulf coast MS then back.
Likes For delacrue96:
Old 05-04-20, 05:49 AM
jharmon203

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You really just need to assess what all is important to you. Do you like racks that grip the wheels or frame? There are pros and cons to both.

I personally went with a thule apex swing rack (that swings out of the way when you need to access the rear hatch). There are so many great features on it that I really appreciate. The hitch has a tightening feature that puts it snug in the receiver so it doesn't bounce around and it also prevents theft of the rack because there is a key that prevents it from being loosened. The straps have large holes making it easy to keep things snug. The integrated bike lock provides a small deterrent for someone to not to steal them. It also keeps a peace of mind going down the highway that if the straps break, the bikes won't fall off.
Likes For jharmon203:
Old 05-04-20, 06:27 AM
tburke

Bikes: cervelo p5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ive got a Yakima FullSwing 4-bike hitch rack it serves me well, i will advice you go for it
Likes For tburke:
Old 05-04-20, 07:55 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I have a Kuat 2bike rack I am very pleased with. They also make 4bike racks.
etrailer.com is a good place to shop and compare racks with lots of user reviews.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 05-04-20, 07:45 PM
elae

Originally Posted by delacrue96
+1 for Thule. We have the Thule Apex Swing 4 bike rack for 2 inch hitch, https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../TH9027XT.html. Looks great on back of my CRV. Hauled our bikes from panhandle FL to gulf coast MS then back.
thank you, this is the one I keep coming back to you as well.
Old 05-04-20, 07:47 PM
elae

Originally Posted by jharmon203
You really just need to assess what all is important to you. Do you like racks that grip the wheels or frame? There are pros and cons to both.

I personally went with a thule apex swing rack (that swings out of the way when you need to access the rear hatch). There are so many great features on it that I really appreciate. The hitch has a tightening feature that puts it snug in the receiver so it doesn't bounce around and it also prevents theft of the rack because there is a key that prevents it from being loosened. The straps have large holes making it easy to keep things snug. The integrated bike lock provides a small deterrent for someone to not to steal them. It also keeps a peace of mind going down the highway that if the straps break, the bikes won't fall off.
Thank you! This is the unit that I keep coming back to you. It seems to check all the boxes.
Old 05-04-20, 09:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Küat NV 2.0 with add on. That is what I would go for if I was carrying 4 bikes. It has a work stand on it so you can work on a bike trailside if need be and can fold up or down as needed (though with 4 bikes it may not clear so the Pivot swing attachment would be handy) and really holds bike quite securely. It also looks really nice and is quite well made. It may not be a cheap rack but it isn't a cheap rack it is well thought out and nicely designed. Their website is also quite neat not that, that should influence decision but

Thule also makes great racks and if I was only doing a 2 bike rack the EasyFold XT would probably be the one I would pick. They make a 3 bike version in EuroDisney but they refuse to ship it to the U.S. and our distributor won't get it either. It is a perfect rack for our customers and is pretty compact. The EasyFold has a ramp so you can wheel bikes up instead of lifting and folds and wheels around the garage when you don't need it and putting on a second bike is a breeze because you can take off the second arm and reattach after the first bike is on.

Saris Cycling Group makes some good products but their hitch racks aren't on my list but they do have a great warranty and really do support their products so it is not a terrible buy just not a great rack.

I know Yakima made some really neat roof racks as I sold those for a couple years but not as many hitch racks. Their Hang-Over rack is pretty neat for MTB riders because you can carry 6 bikes.

I would basically avoid any of the cheap stuff, having dealt with enough of it I can say it is more faff than fun and really doesn't save you anything. All-en I wish I had bought a better rack because this one doesn't Schwinn and you won't want it to ring your Bell.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-05-20, 04:19 AM
elae

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Küat NV 2.0 with add on. That is what I would go for if I was carrying 4 bikes. It has a work stand on it so you can work on a bike trailside if need be and can fold up or down as needed (though with 4 bikes it may not clear so the Pivot swing attachment would be handy) and really holds bike quite securely. It also looks really nice and is quite well made. It may not be a cheap rack but it isn't a cheap rack it is well thought out and nicely designed. Their website is also quite neat not that, that should influence decision but

Thule also makes great racks and if I was only doing a 2 bike rack the EasyFold XT would probably be the one I would pick. They make a 3 bike version in EuroDisney but they refuse to ship it to the U.S. and our distributor won't get it either. It is a perfect rack for our customers and is pretty compact. The EasyFold has a ramp so you can wheel bikes up instead of lifting and folds and wheels around the garage when you don't need it and putting on a second bike is a breeze because you can take off the second arm and reattach after the first bike is on.

Saris Cycling Group makes some good products but their hitch racks aren't on my list but they do have a great warranty and really do support their products so it is not a terrible buy just not a great rack.

I know Yakima made some really neat roof racks as I sold those for a couple years but not as many hitch racks. Their Hang-Over rack is pretty neat for MTB riders because you can carry 6 bikes.

I would basically avoid any of the cheap stuff, having dealt with enough of it I can say it is more faff than fun and really doesn't save you anything. All-en I wish I had bought a better rack because this one doesn't Schwinn and you won't want it to ring your Bell.
WOW! Wonderful direction. Thanks so much 😊
Old 05-05-20, 05:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
be sure your car's hitch is at leat a class II before loading 4 bikes

I have a Swagman Titan 4 Folding Hitch Bike Rack

I removed all the rubber blocks for bike spacing. I nestle all the bikes into each other & use foam insulation peices for padding & protection. I use 3 stability straps to elimate movement

do I recommend it? I don't know. I bought it & continue I use it. it's not perfect but I can't fathom a tray style that sticks out 4 feet behind my car. w/ 4 bike nestled into ea other I can try my car & park it almost everywhere
Old 05-06-20, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by elae
WOW! Wonderful direction. Thanks so much 😊
No worries, it is part of what I do for a living and also something I heavily enjoy.