Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What a tire!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What a tire!

Old 05-08-20, 09:14 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 91 Posts
What a tire!

Although not a tire often mentioned, these Specialized Pro Turbo tires have lasted and lasted! I've owned the bike for 6 years, patiently waiting for them to wear out or blow out. No flats...ever. I finally decided it was time, based on some pretty serious cracking, as pictured.

Not many tires offer a thin red stripe, but I eventually snagged some Continental Ultra Sport tires that look pretty good, so I thought I'd give them a try. I haven't ridden them yet, it'll be interesting to see how they fare. I'm hoping to get the same durability as my old Specialized workhorses!

Last edited by 67tony; 05-08-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 09:19 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Here's the Continentals, mounted, and the bike they'll be going on.
I really liked the red stripe location on the old Specialized tires, but I'm sure I'll get used to the new ones.

Likes For 67tony:
Old 05-09-20, 01:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I have a set of Conti Ultra Sport II with blue stripes in 700x23, and plain black in 700x25. Great riding tires for the money, reasonably low rolling resistance even at lower pressures, good ride feel on every surface I've tried. Very durable -- I even use 'em on my Cycelop trainer, no excessive or premature wear. So I don't need to switch tires or wheels between indoor trainer sessions and outdoor rides.

At the moment I have a set of Conti Grand Prix Classic skinwalls on the Ironman. Good tires, great looking, but they don't ride any better than the Ultra Sport II.
Old 05-09-20, 10:22 AM
67tony 

Yes...took a short ride on the Ultra Sport 25's this morning, and they feel great.
For a guy that's not too finicky, and rides less than most of you, these seem like a really good value.
Old 05-09-20, 10:37 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 723 Posts
Ah, the infamous Specialized delamination. Happens to the best of 'em!

I had six or seven old Specialized Nimbus tires from various time periods delaminate on me. Seems that's always how they fail, but after a generous service life. Sometimes I'd even find broken glass inside between the detached tread and the protective belt. Amazingly, no flats!
Old 05-09-20, 03:52 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Ah, the infamous Specialized delamination. Happens to the best of 'em!

I hope not not I just bought 4 turbo cotton “hell of the north” tires. Tan wall and they wear ok. A friend put 3000-4000 km on them last year and he is a heavy guy. He did have a few flats but nothing major.
Old 05-10-20, 06:27 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Another fan of Ultrasport II. They don't rude as nice as the gp4k, but they ride nice enough, at a mere fraction of the cost