Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Recommendation for a Basic Bike Computer

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-14-20, 11:01 AM
kenshireen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not looking for anything fancy.. I just want to be able to record my speed; distance covered and AVG MPH.
Don't need cadence, bluetooth, phone, time of day etc, power rating etc. I would like it to be light if possible.
I have two road bikes and would like something easy to switch

This is nog a $ issue but rather one of practicality
Old 05-14-20, 11:03 AM
kenshireen

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not looking for anything fancy.. I just want to be able to record my speed; distance covered and AVG MPH.
Don't need cadence, bluetooth, phone, time of day etc, power rating etc. I would like it to be light if possible.

This is not a $ issue but rather one of practicality

Wireless and light

Last edited by kenshireen; 05-14-20 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added words
Old 05-14-20, 11:08 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I've had good luck with SunDings, bought on eBay for $3-$5, a few dollars more for wireless (meaning no cable running from the sensor to the 'computer'). They do nothing but keep time and count revolutions, and what they can compute from that data (speed, distance, distance since last reset...) They've only failed because I broke them (say by turning the bicycle upside down without removing them). At that price, I was careless. Bizarrely, though most vendors sell them cheaply, 1 listed them at $108 once.
Old 05-14-20, 12:02 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I like the Cateye Velos. Couple different models so you can choose the level of features you need. Basic model is under $30, IIRC. Didn't mention which you wanted, but they have both wireless and wired. Very simple easy to read interface, only one button.
Old 05-14-20, 01:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,380 Times in 2,731 Posts
I like the Cateye Strada wireless. The lightest, cheapest and most portable would be Strava on your phone.
Old 05-14-20, 01:36 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
If you use lights get a wired computer like the Cateye Velo 9. If you don't use lights, get a Cateye Strada Wireless as recommended above.
Likes For DomaneS5:
Old 05-14-20, 01:37 PM
adalah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agree with shelby the Cateye Strada wireless
Old 05-14-20, 01:43 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Using the same Computer on two bikes may require a re-calibration for the two wheel diameters.
Using a GPS, either on a phone app, or dedicated bike computer, does not rely on wheel diameter calibrations for distance and speed.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-14-20, 02:30 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Do you actually need a bike computer? When I really just want to enjoy the ride and not have a cycle computer telling me I'm not going fast enough (which it always does!), I just start the Strava app on my phone before I start my ride then check my stats when my ride is done. It covers all the data you're looking for w/o cluttering-up your bike and doesn't matter which bike you're on!
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 05-14-20, 02:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
There are any number of phone apps. Frankly, I didn't find the Strava phone app at all compelling. From what you say you want, two of the cheap wired units from China seem to me to be your best bet. I tried only one cheap wireless unit. It frequently locked up, and even when it didn't, it dropped some mileage.
Old 05-14-20, 05:29 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,547 Times in 3,757 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.
Old 05-14-20, 06:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Cateye Velo 9 Wireless. Low $20, easy to set up and use, durable, battery lasts a long time.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-14-20, 07:06 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 257 Posts
INBIKE IC-321 WIRELESS

I was one of the first in North America to purchase and install this INBIKE IC-321 when it was first released.

I have installed over 45 of these units. I fabricated my own design attachment that allows the SENSOR to attach to ancient SCHWINNS with blade forks.
These INBIKE IC-321 WIRELESS Speedometers need no modifications for installation on modern bikes with broomstick like forks.
On ancient SCHWINNS and almost every American manufacturered bicycle made before about 1977 will have thin blade forks or will have thin tubular forks which you will find are extremely difficult if not impossible to secure the SENSOR to the fork without it moving or jiggling around. For this reason, I designed my own attachment for the SENSOR that instead of using the fork, in my design for use on ancient SCHWINNS, I have the SENSOR hanging via a custom designed mount which hangs off of the left axle, just beneath the left axle nut. You can make something crudely with a Large BINDER CLIP placed over the SENSOR and JB WELDED or E-POXIED to the SENSOR, then use one of the chrome wire ears of the binder clip to mount under the left axle nut.............wrap black sewing thread around this chrome wire ear at where it squeezes the SENSOR............saturate this black thread with EPOXY, and this chrome wire binder clip handle becomes a RIGID chrome wire hanging mount arm....
...YOU OBVIOUSLY REMOVED THE OTHER Chrome Wire Binder Clip Handle..... Choose the Large BINDER CLIP size that most closely matches the size of the Sensor when you are sourcing your BINDER CLIP to build such a contraption that will allow you to mount these on ANCIENT SCHWINNS and other ancient antique bicycles. My installations were engineered and look factory engineered, but it was my neighbor who came up with the use of the BINDER CLIP method.......no 3D printer required, or custom stamped bracket...................just down and dirty MacGyvered (Richard Dean Anderson version of MacGyver...) part to make it work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...rkparms=aid%3D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-LC...parms=aid%3D1:

Full Disclosure: I have never dealt with either of the two ebay sources linked above. They have good ratings and are USA based. Those are just two random examples of suppliers of the INBIKE IC-321 WIRELESS speedometer-odometer thing-a-majib. You may find other non-USA suppliers that have these for less but you'd be looking for a three week time lag for delivery from Shen Zhen or Hong Kong during the best of times. As I mentioned earlier, I have installed these on at least 45 bicycles. Initially I sourced them from the sole China maker and distributor as there wasn't a designated model number at that time. They have a NICE LARGE DISPLAY and they do come with the two necessary CR____ button batteries. These INBIKE IC-321 WIRELESS thingies are essentially LOW TECH like 1982 era bicycle computers, but it is a really good "Dumb" old-timey bike computer. The reason that I like it so much is the DISPLAY face is LARGE and it displays Time of Day at Top Left and it displays ODOMETER at Top Right---------------------CURRENT SPEED (your choice of MPH or Kilometers Per Hour).........you also have other stopwatch and trip odometer functions but I really like the SPEEDO(current speed) display that is Large and centered, and I like the Clock at Top Left and total ODOMETER mileage at Top Right more than anything.
You do not get any advance notice that the Battery is dying or dead, other than the Display Unit will be extremely dim before it does not display at all. INSTALL a New Battery and the Display again becomes alive, vibrant and bright. You will have to REPROGRAM and RE-SET ALL OF THE SETTINGS and Re-Enter the TOTAL ODOMETER Reading Each and Every Time that You REMOVE and REPLACE The BATTERY.
The Battery in the SENSOR seems to last longer than the battery in the Head Unit(DISPLAY). My experience has been that the original battery in the Head Unit will last approximately between 13 months and 20 months. All of the INBIKE IC-321 wireless speedos that I have installed are still working.
Now, you do get a brief crazy unrealistic speedo display for maybe one second or a second and a half when starting from a complete stop..........what happens is that the display doesn't stabilize on the accurate speed UNTIL the bike is going 5 MPH.......... That is something that all of these INBIKE IC-321 WIRELESS speedos do.
My suggestion to anyone who is doing the initital programming of the Time of Day, Miles or Kilometers, and the Tire Circumference Measurement in Milimeters of their Front Tire........................I suggest that if you need to re-enter and change or zero out the entire data and start over............JUST REMOVE THE Button Battery and Re-Insert it..........then begin again from scratch as you'd begin with the new speedo just out of the package...........The directions are almost decent considering that someone whose native language is Chinese, did the English translation. It is extremely simple to figure it out.
The Great Large centered SPEEDO display with the total ODOMETER mileage (or kilometers if you select it to read KM instead of miles per hour) is what really makes the INBIKE IC-321 such a great speedometer/odometer. It is extremely accurate (other than the display when going 0 to 4 mph..). You can set it for whatever four digit MILLIMETER total measurement or calculation of your Front Tire's Circumference. There are a few suggested mm figures for certain wheel and tire sizes BUT YOU CAN INSERT WHATEVER CALCULATION or MEASUREMENT THAT YOU COME UP WITH FOR GREATER ACCURACY........ Roll the wheel one precisely measured revolution on your hardwood floor of your dining room...........or just use that old 8th grade, " TWO PIE R "

Old 05-14-20, 07:21 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by kenshireen

This is nog a $ issue but rather one of practicality
Take a look at the Cateye Strada Slim or the Cateye Padrone.both are basic and have setting for 2 bikes (or 2 sets of wheels). The Padrone is the larger and has larger fonts, but I have the Strada Slim and bought it for the larger fonts, since my prescription sunglasses are not progressives, so no reading mode. The Strada slim is smaller than the Padrone and has a sensor that fits inside the front fork blade and is not noticeable or protruding to get knocked. There is also the Padrone+ with a backlight if you ride at night. They are very, very light and both are wireless, reliable, and well under $100. I dropped mine in a puddle when packing the bike and it survived.

Strada Slim: https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...ers/CC-RD310W/

Padrone: https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...ers/CC-PA100W/

Last edited by Bill in VA; 05-14-20 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 07:49 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
If you use lights get a wired computer like the Cateye Velo 9. If you don't use lights, get a Cateye Strada Wireless as recommended above.
I have found that if you mount the light on the opposite side of the stem from your fork blade's wireless wheel magnet sensor/transmitter that it does not interfere with the data transfer to the computer display/receiver unit.
Things do go whacky if the light is mounted on the same side, and in between the transmitter and receiver, especially if using a blinking light setting.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 05-14-20, 08:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I have found that if you mount the light on the opposite side of the stem from your fork blade's wireless wheel magnet sensor/transmitter that it does not interfere with the data transfer to the computer display/receiver unit.
Things do go whacky if the light is mounted on the same side, and in between the transmitter and receiver, especially if using a blinking light setting.
+1. I keep my light and computer on opposite ends of the bar.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-14-20, 08:29 PM
Cyclist30923
Banned.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Go to Ebay. I bought two no-name wireless computers with those features for about five bucks each. They have been very reliable and do not care about getting wet.
Old 05-14-20, 08:33 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
+1. I keep my light and computer on opposite ends of the bar.
Thanks for that piece of info. I was not aware of that issue. At least now if I ever have that issue I will check location of the light first, before assuming the computer died. I wonder what else the lights may effect.
Old 05-15-20, 06:17 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
As an extra option how about a second hand Garmin? I bought a Garmin Edge 200 off eBay at the end of last year for Audax rides, and (until Covid stopped play) it has been ideal.

Good battery life (more than sufficient for 100k rides), basic and very easy controls, no sensors to set up on the bike, clear and easy to read screen, easy to transfer between bikes, and the option of basic routing if needed.

Total cost including postage was less than £30 - I'm very pleased with it.
Old 05-15-20, 06:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Using the same Computer on two bikes may require a re-calibration for the two wheel diameters.
Using a GPS, either on a phone app, or dedicated bike computer, does not rely on wheel diameter calibrations for distance and speed.

Barry
^Not necessarily. The CatEye products allow you to select bike #1 and bike #2 , and when setting up allow you to calibrate the wheel diameter for each bike. This feature is common on many of the bike computers that I've set up for others.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-15-20, 06:40 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I tried that and it didn't work. Was using a Cateye Micro Wireless. Had to go with the Velo 9 so I could use bike computer with lights. I use Niterider lights, so maybe they interfere more with wireless signal than other lights.

Last edited by DomaneS5; 05-15-20 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 07:40 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^Not necessarily. The CatEye products allow you to select bike #1 and bike #2 , and when setting up allow you to calibrate the wheel diameter for each bike. This feature is common on many of the bike computers that I've set up for others.
phil,
The “nothing fancy” cheap Cateyes don’t have that feature.
I own a couple myself. They use the same LCD display as those that do, but its not enabled in the firmware.

Barry
Old 05-15-20, 09:34 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
I love my SIGMA wired ones that work 100% of the time, unlike finicky wireless. My $35 or so 16.12 has about 12 functions. Great display, 2 bikes, trip, total, temp, time, countdown, memory keep, total miles, miles/ km, total hours and 2 averages. Very simple to program and set up. It uses O rings that can be taken off and adjusted, as opposed to some with fricking zip ties. My biggest peeve is all of them don't have an angled shape for the fork magnet part. The battery lasts a year usually. You could order a second wire set at the same time. Just make sure the wire has zero flexing at the top end. I tape the wire to the stem neck. It has 4 buttons. WTH is good about having only ONE??
I prefer having a comp on each bike to separate performance and wear parameters.

10 years ago I goofed and bought a Bontrager comp at the local LBS, that only showed 1/ 10ths of a mile like cars. How stupid was that?? Used once and junked.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-15-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-18-20, 02:22 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Do you actually need a bike computer? When I really just want to enjoy the ride and not have a cycle computer telling me I'm not going fast enough (which it always does!),
I don't generally care how fast I'm going. I do, however, like to know exactly how far I've gone, especially if I am doing an out and back.

Only bike I ride that doesn't have one is my fat bike, because varying the pressures in that make the wheel change way too much to make it useful.
Old 05-18-20, 03:40 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
lezyne enhanced micro color c love it for cyclocross , but a better option would be to just use a smart phone and get a nice mount, even on a rainy day i throw my phone in a snak sized ziplock bag and its been the best computer i have had , it can run my music , navigation and fitness tracker , even the wahoos cant do that !!!!!!!

Last edited by Toespeas; 05-18-20 at 03:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.