Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking noise at each stroke of the pedal.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 10:40 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

My sons Specialized Sirrus hybrid makes a clicking sound which appears to come from the
crank area it makes the sound at the same spot in the rotation of pedaling and it only does
it when there is pressure on the pedals. I can't duplicate it on the bike stand. Does it sound like
something that is in the bottom bracket?
Old 05-24-20, 11:49 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Same happened to me and after hours of trying to figure out what it was, it turned out to be my shoelace tip that was hitting the pedal/crank arm on each turn.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-24-20, 11:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Yes, but also make sure you don't have a loose arm or pedal.
Or FDER cable end ticking the arm as it goes by.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-24-20, 11:55 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
This happened to me once. I was so annoyed by it that I disassembled the bottom bracket to inspect. There was nothing wrong with it. So then my imagination told me it was coming from one of a handful of other places on the bike, none of which turned out to be the culprit.

In the end it wasn't until I upgraded pedals that I realized it was the pedal's bearings / spindle causing the clicking.

Check your pedals. If you are able to swap them with pedals from another bike, you can quickly verify that it's the pedals.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 05-25-20, 01:53 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
This happened to me once. I was so annoyed by it that I disassembled the bottom bracket to inspect. There was nothing wrong with it. So then my imagination told me it was coming from one of a handful of other places on the bike, none of which turned out to be the culprit.

In the end it wasn't until I upgraded pedals that I realized it was the pedal's bearings / spindle causing the clicking.

Check your pedals. If you are able to swap them with pedals from another bike, you can quickly verify that it's the pedals.
My suggestion as well, easiest to eliminate as well.

Old 05-25-20, 03:43 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
As a precaution, also check your chain (wear and tear, or damage).
Old 05-25-20, 05:55 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I was vexed by such a click for over 6 months, checking everything over (and over in some cases). The cause made itself apparent when the drive side crank arm broke while riding. It had developed a small (almost invisible) stress crack that finally let go. The clicking that I heard was this crack opening and closing slightly as I pedaled. This is unlikely to be the cause of your clicking; however I think it's a good idea to rule it out. Cracks like this will be visible using a strong light and good magnifier.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-25-20, 06:30 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If/when you check your pedals be certain that both the pedal and crank threads and mating surfaces are clean.
Old 05-25-20, 06:45 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
It might also be a bump on a chainring tooth. I once found a tooth that was damaged at the tip and bent it back with pliers. But it didn't make audible sound.

My chainring is not exactly parallel to the crank so if I'm on the centerline of the chain, it will rock left to right on the chain as I go each full resolution of the crank. It doesn't make a click sound, but more of a swish. When the chain is on an angle the sound goes away since it's rubbing only one side of the chainring.
Old 05-25-20, 07:02 AM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Similar noise here some years ago. My problem was the crankset spindle was separating from the spider with movement between the two parts. Poor manufacturing on the pressed in connection of the hollow spindle. It eventually would have completely come apart.
Old 05-25-20, 10:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I would guess it is where your seat post connects with the seat rails. Take it apart, wipe a very light layer of a light lube on the contact points and reassemble.

Secondary to that the stem/bars contact.

If you have a quick connect chainlink, inspect that.

The top two have accounted for the majority of my click/creak issues.
Old 05-25-20, 10:48 AM
dwsmartins

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I’ve got exactly the same situation here, but found the reason: the non drive side pedal.

But it wasn’t so easy: the drive side arm on my venerable Shimano FC-M131 crank cracked around the pedal thread after 10000km or more of reliable service, but it was my fault (hit a concrete slab laying near the curb, the pedal also broke). Took the opportunity to make a complete replacement of the drivetrain: new crankset, chain, cassete (these from SunRace) and derailleurs (from Shimano). And so a dilemma begins...

Unrelated to the original problem, I’ve managed to crack my old frame and took the opportunity to change the bottom bracket (Shimano UN-BB26, same as previous). But I’ve found SunRace hasn’t an effective quality control: the crankset’s square hole was off center by a tiny amount, enough to cause some rubbing on the front derailleur (thought it was due to the old bottom bracket, but the new one was installed and the problem persisted).

Coincidently to the bottom bracket replacement, I’d noticed an annoying clicking sound every turn on the pedals. Thought it was a faulty bottom bracket (the seller borrowed me another one to check, nope); thought about more troubles on the crankset, but never could positively identify it; thought it was due to an 8s chain and cassete being mated to a 9s crankset, but can’t prove it...

As you, I couldn’t reproduce the issue out of the pedals. To my despair, my wife took the bike for a ride and found no clicking at all! Thought about a problem with the new frame (I’m quite heavy at 120kg, so I thought that was the problem), but couldn’t find any crack on it.

Out of the blue, the clicks started to get more frequent. I went commando and started to test random things, exchanging parts with my wife’s bike. When I exchanged the pedals, the problem was gone, but that wasn’t the end.

Took the pedals where I bought then, the seller is one of my trusted mechanics, (the same who sold me the bottom bracket) and he replaced them at no cost. After only about 2km down, there was the annoying clicking again! Came back there and begun to test one pedal after another, just to find the complete batch clicked out of the package or after a couple of kilometers!

Curiously, they only clicked with me, my mechanic is almost featherweight at just 60kg (little more than half my weight). He agreed to disassemble then and make a complete overhaul and repacking of grease on both pedals. Hadn’t ride as much as before, due to coronavirus and rain season, but whenever I’d ride, there’s no more clicks.

Just for laughs, I was about to christen the bike TicTac, but not anymore...🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 05-25-20, 10:49 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I would guess it is where your seat post connects with the seat rails. Take it apart, wipe a very light layer of a light lube on the contact points and reassemble.

Secondary to that the stem/bars contact.

If you have a quick connect chainlink, inspect that.

The top two have accounted for the majority of my click/creak issues.
I wouldn't think it would be the seat rails. It only clicks when the crank is in one position
Old 05-25-20, 12:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I wouldn't think it would be the seat rails. It only clicks when the crank is in one position
I have also had the shoelace making noise.

I had a noise last year. I thought it was a pedal. Swapped them for others I had. Nope. I checked the cassette, thought it was loose, and retorqued it. Nope. It was minor. I recently tightened the chainwheel bolts, so far no noise... We'll see.

Another guy on the forum had a noise, and after checking everything, he figured it out, after riding a different bike I believe. It was his knee.
Old 05-25-20, 03:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

It has happened to me several times. It clicks in that position, because that is the very point where the pressure on the saddle is consistent with each stroke. The fact that it doesn't happen on the stand with no weight on the saddle makes it more likely to be a saddle issue. It's a 5 minute rule-out if nothing else. What do you stand to lose?
Old 05-25-20, 08:21 PM
robertj298 

It has happened to me several times. It clicks in that position, because that is the very point where the pressure on the saddle is consistent with each stroke. The fact that it doesn't happen on the stand with no weight on the saddle makes it more likely to be a saddle issue. It's a 5 minute rule-out if nothing else. What do you stand to lose?
I think you are correct. There is a slight up and down front to back play on the seat. I took it all apart
cleaned and lightly lubed it but no matter how tight I tighten it to the rails I still have the same play in it.
I'll have to work on it more tomorrow.
Likes For robertj298:
Old 05-25-20, 08:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
If you have another bike, switch the pedals to eliminate that.
Old 05-26-20, 05:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Which corresponds to your leg being in one particular position, and the load on the saddle corresponds to your leg position.

It's quick and easy to eliminate this, in any case. Others have suggested light lube on the saddle rails. I've found a spray penetrating oil works well and doesn't require disassembly to apply. Squirt a little on the tension bolt (if present) while you're at it.
Old 05-26-20, 05:41 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
We just did a short 4 day ride on the GAP. Towards the end I started noticing,felt more than heard, a click while pedaling.
Turns out my pedal needed some attention. I just did a rebuild on them yesterday!
Old 05-26-20, 06:18 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
When this happens to me, my first test is to pedal while standing. It's amazing how a saddle noise telegraphs into the BB.

...What do you stand to lose?
Was that pun intended?
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-26-20, 08:00 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
When this happens to me, my first test is to pedal while standing. It's amazing how a saddle noise telegraphs into the BB.

Was that pun intended?

No, but good point. unweighting the bars can also provide info.
Old 05-26-20, 11:32 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
check the chain rings for tightness I had this happen once and it was a loose chain ring

Old 05-26-20, 11:47 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Check your rear skewer, I chased an annoyance similar to this for MONTHS. Put in new skewer, noise gone. Just another place to look. Adding a little grease on each skewer end where it clamps frame can also make a difference.
Old 05-26-20, 02:56 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Also make sure your crank fixing bolt is torqued properly.
Old 05-26-20, 03:06 PM
Swamprunner
Swamprunner

Bikes: Fuji Sport 10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My noise was, one of my crank bolts was broken. Problem is, now it's stuck and I cant get the bolt out that holds the crank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.