Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-13-20, 06:03 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts

Whats your safe draft distance? I like the weekend group ride. Typically I jump in to whoever passes me by on Saturday and Sunday mornings. On Chicagos north shore its pretty much a constant parade of cycling groups heading northbound on Sheridan road. I'm questioning the safety, especially now at 62 yrs young. A spill now would probably put me in the hospital. But my instincts are still honed by my racing days when racing around the track in a line of riders with a centimeter or two of gap between our wheels was normal. I still catch myself following really close to a wheel and think...hmmm, maybe too close. But there is quite a difference in draft effect between a half wheel distance and a couple inches. What say ye?
Old 07-13-20, 06:14 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It depends on how well you know the wheel. If you are riding a friend's or teammate's wheel you can likely get fairly close, say 1-2 feet.

If you are hopping some random stranger's wheel (first ask) you probably want to allow more space. Plus COVID19 risks which are tough to quantify.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-13-20, 06:19 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Let's assume that you've already asked permission to draft, etc etc because otherwise @rubiksoval will be unhappy. According to https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...rafting-349941, the benefit to you has a pretty good range, up to 20m (assuming no wind). So basically choose whatever distance you want.

The flip side to this--the same source https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...w-study-458203 says that drafting is probably not a great idea right now.

Take your pick?
Old 07-13-20, 06:19 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Don't draft people uninvited and this won't be an issue.
Old 07-13-20, 06:24 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Whats your safe draft distance? I like the weekend group ride. Typically I jump in to whoever passes me by on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Don't do that.
Old 07-13-20, 06:29 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
If you're risk averse, don't draft!

I generally try to stay between 1 ~ 2 meters away from almost everyone.

If someone jumps on my wheel, I'll usually pick up the pace, or let them pass.
Old 07-13-20, 06:55 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Let's assume that you've already asked permission to draft, etc etc because otherwise @rubiksoval will be unhappy. According to https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...rafting-349941, the benefit to you has a pretty good range, up to 20m (assuming no wind). So basically choose whatever distance you want.

The flip side to this--the same source https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...w-study-458203 says that drafting is probably not a great idea right now.

Take your pick?
20 meters? Really? Even with no wind, that's way too far back. At one bike length off a field, you're feeling the wind. At two bike lengths, you'll be struggling. At three, you're dropped.

And as other said, do just jump on a random person's wheel. It's not a cool move. If it's a big group, that's a bit different, though it is generally best to ask, "Hey can I join you?" or "How far are you going?" If they don't seem friendly, that means they don't want you to join them but are too nice to say that out loud. Don't be offended if they don't want you to ride with them.

As for how close to ride, that depends on how well you know the wheel in front of you and how close everyone else is. If you and a friend are good, you can ride really close. I had a riding partner who was so steady, I was comfortable to put my bar over his rear wheel - we were overlapped due to a cross wind. If the group is all riding with about a foot between wheels and just a few inches between bars, that is where you should be too.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-13-20, 07:18 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Probably not this close!

Likes For waters60:
Old 07-13-20, 07:39 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
If you're at all concerned about health risks, in the current viral climate, I wouldn't be drafting strangers (or anyone I didn't live with) except on Zwift.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-13-20, 07:42 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I absolutely will not draft or allow a draft from someone I don't know. I will pull over if I have to.
On a group ride where you have been part of the group for a bit and are familiar with each others style and signals, everything up to touching/overlapping. Inches, if that.
Likes For Juan Foote:
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 136 Posts
Weren't draft cards once mandatory kit?
Likes For sced:
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Thanks to COVID I'm not doing group rides. But, on pre-COVID group rides with my club it was just assumed that riders would draft each other. FWIW, I'm not talking about competitive rides...usually 30-50 mile rides averaging 14-15 mph.
Old 07-13-20, 08:00 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I ride on Sheridan Rd. all the time, and on a nice Saturday morning it's sometimes hard not to get caught up with a few other riders or a group. I frequently chit-chat with the other riders I end up with, and the vast majority of people don't mind if you sit on their wheel for a few minutes. Use your best judgement on how close to ride. You can usually tell pretty much immediately how squirrelly someone is. I've also noticed that people tend to pick up the pace when you catch them from behind, so I may sit on their wheel for a minute or two to catch my breath and let them settle down a little bit before I pass and say something friendly as I go by. If I get caught by a group, I'll ease up for a few minutes, let them go, and continue on solo. I have no interest in group rides, but if you do, there are plenty of groups on the Northshore of all levels of fitness for you to join.
Old 07-13-20, 08:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Let's assume that you've already asked permission to draft, etc etc because otherwise @rubiksoval will be unhappy.
Not just him. I have no idea how anyone considers this acceptable behavior.
Old 07-13-20, 08:51 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
According to https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...rafting-349941, the benefit to you has a pretty good range, up to 20m (assuming no wind).
20 meters? Really? Even with no wind, that's way too far back. At one bike length off a field, you're feeling the wind. At two bike lengths, you'll be struggling. At three, you're dropped.
Yes, you can feel the difference even at one bike length. However, Cycling Weekly understates "the benefit." We've measured drag reduction much farther than 20 meters. It's just that the benefit, although there, is too small to feel. How far? During hour record attempts on 250 meter velodromes, we've measured the rider drafting themselves. That's cuz even a straw can stir a bathtub.
Old 07-13-20, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
During hour record attempts on 250 meter velodromes, we've measured the rider drafting themselves. That's cuz even a straw can stir a bathtub.
Along these lines, and in the spirit of gaming the system a la Nike/Kipchoge, has there been any discussion of playing with the venue to further this effect and break records? Or are venue parameters fairly well locked down?
Old 07-13-20, 09:05 AM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Not just him. I have no idea how anyone considers this acceptable behavior.
The etiquette behind drafting was beaten to death in another thread. So to keep things focused I preemptively mentioned him.
Old 07-13-20, 09:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

The etiquette behind drafting was beaten to death in another thread. So to keep things focused I preemptively mentioned him.
You can’t “focus” on this thread and ignore the idiocy and antisocial aspects of hopping on a stranger’s wheel uninvited.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-13-20, 09:16 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Along these lines, and in the spirit of gaming the system a la Nike/Kipchoge, has there been any discussion of playing with the venue to further this effect and break records? Or are venue parameters fairly well locked down?
Um, I guess you could say that there has been some discussion.
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-13-20, 09:16 AM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
You can’t “focus” on this thread and ignore the idiocy and antisocial aspects of hopping on a stranger’s wheel uninvited.
Please not this again. The OP asked about drafting distance and efficacy. If we're going to talk about etiquette then it should go back here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...elt-shame.html.
Old 07-13-20, 09:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Please not this again. The OP asked about drafting distance and efficacy. If we're going to talk about etiquette then it should go back here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...elt-shame.html.
No, he was asking specifically about safety -

Whats your safe draft distance?
The etiquette you mention is tied to safety, so it seems fair game, dunnit?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-20, 09:27 AM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, he was asking specifically about safety -

The etiquette you mention is tied to safety, so it seems fair game, dunnit?
The full context is--OP wants to draft and reap the aero benefits, but is unsure of how close is too close. Aero benefits do not matter if OP is violating this:
Don't draft people uninvited and this won't be an issue.
as Rubik said above. With that out of the way, we can discuss safety as it relates to rider skill, and the relationship between draft distance and benefit.
Old 07-13-20, 09:30 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Whats your safe draft distance? I like the weekend group ride. Typically I jump in to whoever passes me by on Saturday and Sunday mornings. On Chicagos north shore its pretty much a constant parade of cycling groups heading northbound on Sheridan road. I'm questioning the safety, especially now at 62 yrs young. A spill now would probably put me in the hospital. But my instincts are still honed by my racing days when racing around the track in a line of riders with a centimeter or two of gap between our wheels was normal. I still catch myself following really close to a wheel and think...hmmm, maybe too close. But there is quite a difference in draft effect between a half wheel distance and a couple inches. What say ye?
This is too close.

Drafting someone you don't know at the age of 62 is a good way to get hurt; especially if you're 62 and don't have years of racing under your belt. Even then, it's not generally a good idea.

Old 07-13-20, 09:32 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

The full context is--OP wants to draft and reap the aero benefits, but is unsure of how close is too close. Aero benefits do not matter if OP is violating this: as Rubik said above. With that out of the way, we can discuss safety as it relates to rider skill, and the relationship between draft distance and benefit.
OP is asking about half a wheel vs a few inches, on people he doesn’t know. Both are irresponsible and antisocial behavior.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-13-20, 09:40 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
There is no safe distance for an uninvited draft in a Covid world.

Passed a guy last week with probably a 5mph differential. I suffer from pretty bad post nasal drip and needed to spit about 2 minutes after going by. He was right on my wheel and caught a bunch of it because I had no clue he was there until after it happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.