Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Odd noise only while pedaling: brakes??

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-10-20, 11:14 AM
idoseadoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just bought a 2017 GT Verb Expert. It has Shimano M435 calipers, which so far I like very much. They can lock up the tire instantly, unlike the other bikes I sampled. Only issue I found with it, and I'm not even sure it's an issue, is when I'm pedaling, the rotor seems to make a little noise, like something touching the spokes. It only happens on the downstroke of the left foot, or if I swerve real hard to the left. Seems like the rim flexes and makes the caliper touch the rotor. Should I try to adjust the brake? This is my first tangle with 27.5 wheels.

Otherwise, it drives fine and smooth and the wheels are not warped.
Old 08-10-20, 01:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A hissing ringing noise? sing, sing, sing? Back out the pad adjuster a few clicks. Or turn up your headphones
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-11-20, 06:22 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Wheel size isn’t the culprit, it’s the fork legs flexing. If your brakes are hydraulic, you can’t back out the pads. You can ensure your rotors are true but not much else you can do short of upgrading the fork which I wouldn’t recommend.
Old 08-11-20, 06:37 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by grubetown
Wheel size isn’t the culprit, it’s the fork legs flexing. If your brakes are hydraulic, you can’t back out the pads. You can ensure your rotors are true but not much else you can do short of upgrading the fork which I wouldn’t recommend.
If it's hydraulic and it makes noise you can center the caliper on the disk. It's a frequent issue with an easy solution.

I prefer to center the caliper visually, but there are other methods like lossening it, pressing the brake lever, and tightening the bolts while holding it.
Old 08-11-20, 07:05 AM
grubetown

Originally Posted by Amt0571
If it's hydraulic and it makes noise you can center the caliper on the disk. It's a frequent issue with an easy solution.

I prefer to center the caliper visually, but there are other methods like lossening it, pressing the brake lever, and tightening the bolts while holding it.
Totally agree with you. However, the OP seems to describe a flex issue rather than a caliper centering issue.
Old 08-11-20, 07:13 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Totally agree with you. However, the OP seems to describe a flex issue rather than a caliper centering issue.
A correctly centered caliper on a straight rotor should be mostly silent event accounting for fork flex. All brakes will make the "ding ding" sometimes, but if it's frequent, something needs adjusting.
Old 08-11-20, 07:18 AM
grubetown

Originally Posted by Amt0571
A correctly centered caliper on a straight rotor should be mostly silent event accounting for fork flex. All brakes will make the "ding ding" sometimes, but if it's frequent, something needs adjusting.
I'm not comfortable making this generalization, so we will have to wait and see what the OP comes back with.
Old 08-11-20, 08:03 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
New? I've had spokes ting and pop on occasion.
Old 08-11-20, 08:15 AM
idoseadoo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Confirmed it yesterday after a few hours on the trails. When I'm on level ground and really press down, the left compression stroke results in a slight T-r-r-r-ring sound. Almost soulds like something touching the spokes, but close to the base where they are spaced together. It is not present under braking or regular pedaling, only upon moderate acceleration. The bike is a 2017, and appears to be in perfect shape. It shifts great, and the brakes are superb. The chain is a bit noisy, but I have plans to clean/lube it soon. The noise is only from the front wheel.
Likes For idoseadoo:
Old 08-11-20, 08:41 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Try centering using the method described above, it takes only moments and anyone with the right size allen wrench can do it. Just don't touch the rotor with your hands, wear gloves just in case.

If that doesn't change anything take it in to have the rotor trued, it's a simple process which they should only charge you about $10 to do.

You can true your rotor at home with an adjustable wrench; however, I tried this once with terrible results. My wrench had some oil residue on it (like many of my tools) and it contaminated my brake pads. That was a worse outcome than just taking it in and paying the mechanic the $10 do use the proper tool. If you do attempt to true the rotor at home, make sure to clean your tools first with high concentration isopropyl alcohol. Good luck and welcome to the wonders of the disc brake!
Old 08-11-20, 09:44 AM
idoseadoo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just looked at it, and it appears that it IS the spokes hitting the brake line. I found a trace of foreign material on the spokes at the same radius all around. I will probably have to zip-tie the line away from the wheel. But would this be from the wheel flexing or the forks? While I like them, these aren't the thickest forks (RockShox Recon Silver RL Solo Air). If it's the wheel, I guess I can get the spokes tightened?
Old 08-11-20, 10:13 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by idoseadoo
I just looked at it, and it appears that it IS the spokes hitting the brake line. I found a trace of foreign material on the spokes at the same radius all around. I will probably have to zip-tie the line away from the wheel. But would this be from the wheel flexing or the forks? While I like them, these aren't the thickest forks (RockShox Recon Silver RL Solo Air). If it's the wheel, I guess I can get the spokes tightened?
Could be just a simple brake line routing issue. Get that brake line clear of the moving wheel using, like you said, cable ties, and go ride. The wheel flexes but not that much and **GENERALLY** speaking, if the wheel is true, the spokes don't need tightened.

Also clean and lube your entire drivetrain. I just about pulled out my hair because my BB was making a noise I thought I had corrected, turns out my chain and cassette needed cleaned. I cleaned and waxed and it's back to being silent. Moral of the story - eliminate guesswork when tracking down odd noises - it's not always obvious the direction they're coming from.
Old 08-11-20, 11:44 AM
grubetown

When you fork compresses the brake line is "moving" into the spoke path. It seems like a simple routing/securing issue.
Likes For grubetown:
Old 08-11-20, 11:51 AM
idoseadoo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you fork compresses the brake line is "moving" into the spoke path. It seems like a simple routing/securing issue.
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Likes For idoseadoo: