Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

MTB or Road Shoes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

MTB or Road Shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 10:38 AM
1godchaser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB or Road Shoes?

I have always used MTB (really old ones) to ride so I can walk around comfortably. I bought an entry level pair of road shoes and my feet were cramped and I had hot spots like crazy! I am doing a touring ride of 600+ miles next month and need to solve the shoe issue. Every long ride my feet are killing me. I was going to buy some new MTB shoes until I heard a review talk about the MTB SPD’s tend to give you hot spots. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-20, 12:58 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by 1godchaser
I have always used MTB (really old ones) to ride so I can walk around comfortably. I bought an entry level pair of road shoes and my feet were cramped and I had hot spots like crazy! I am doing a touring ride of 600+ miles next month and need to solve the shoe issue. Every long ride my feet are killing me. I was going to buy some new MTB shoes until I heard a review talk about the MTB SPD’s tend to give you hot spots. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1. wear your old mtb shoes.
2. buy some new non-spd mtb shoes.
3. buy some old nos non-spd mtb shoes on ebay.
4. wear skateboard shoes with big platform pedals.
5. stop reading reviews.
6. don't go on tour with new shoes (or any new gear).

Last edited by saddlesores; 10-07-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 01:06 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I have only used SPD shoes and never had hot spots.

I have heard that if you have hot feet problems, moving your cleats further aft so that your foot is a bit further forward is one option to try.

The shoes I mostly use are from a manufacturer that no longer makes cycling shoes, so can't suggest a shoe to try. But, if you continue to have shoe problems, perhaps a SPD pedal that has a platform on the other side would be an option, then you could use regular shoes on the platform side if you have a stiff enough shoe. On most of my tours I carry a pair of Merrill hiking shoes along to wear in the campsite, their sole is stiff enough for me to comfortably use on the platform side of a pedal for a full day, which I sometimes have done for one reason or another.

Shimano makes several models of pedals that are SPD on one side, platform on the other.

I do have one set of SPD shoes that felt good for about 15 miles, by mile 30 they were a torture device. Eventually I figured out that they had put some very soft foam in the foot bed over the cleat hardware. Thus, there was a firm sole, but a rectangle was cut into that for the cleat hardware and then soft foam. That meant that as I was pedaling, I was trying to shove my foot inside of a small rectangle hole. Pull out your insole and inspect the foot bed to make sure that it is uniform and consistently solid throughout.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-07-20, 03:14 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I had hot spots with MTB/SPD shoes on rides over 30 miles or so. Two fixes were suggested back then, both of which worked. First, get off the bike every couple hours and walk around a bit. Works pretty well when I'm touring, because I need to get more water. Second, get some shoes with stiffer soles (and of course make sure they have enough room in the toe box for your feet). Long rides aren't a problem any more. (Well, except for the whole getting tired and stiff part!)
Old 10-07-20, 10:01 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I personally would never tour with road pedals and cleats as I'm all too often stopping and walking around and doing "stuff". Find some spd pedals that are comfortable or use your old ones if you aren't going to have a chance to really break in the new ones.
Likes For robow:
Old 10-07-20, 10:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
SPD sandals. I've rarely had an issue with hot spots and have done a respectable amount of touring using mtb shoes. Biggest issue was with some lower mid-range shoes that had cheaper nylon bottoms and I just didn't keep them long and never used them for touring thankfully. Cheapest I ever bought had metal bottoms which never had an issue besides weight, I did tour with these, and the higher end use carbon and those don't have a problem.
Old 10-07-20, 10:28 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
If you have enough room in the current shoes, purchase a new flat insole that is about 1/16- 1/8" thick and put them in your cycling shoes ON TOP OF THE CURRENT INSOLES. Then ride around in them and walk around the house in them a few times. Remove both pair of insoles and see if you can identify the hot spot. If you can, cut that section out (like a circle) of either the new or old insert, but keep the other one intact. Then you can put both back in. By cutting out the hot spot, you may remove the additional pressure in that area by having extra bulk completely around the hot spot. It's pressure redistribution. I've done this and it works if you have enough room in the shoe.
Old 10-08-20, 08:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I have been touring and commuting in the Pearl Izumi X-Road Fuel v5 shoe for years. Comfortable on the bike and when walking. Tough as well. SPD compatible.
Old 10-08-20, 10:13 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I still wear these - Specialized touring shoes from the late '80s.

I still use either toe clips/straps or platform pedals. No cleats or SPDs for me!
Old 10-08-20, 10:43 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
check out DZR cycling shoes.
spd compatible. spd thingie is recessed and covered. makes no noise, not clunky when walking.
super confortable.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...shoes&_sacat=0
Old 10-08-20, 10:52 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Find shoes that work for your feet. The stiffer the shoe, the less I find problems with hotspots form small cleats.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 10-08-20, 03:00 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
I have wider feet and found Shimano shoes fit me well. Also I found a SPD pedal with a large platform that spreads the weight out over a larger area. It helped me.
Old 10-08-20, 06:03 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
my suggestion, don't go on the interwebs to get footwear advice from people who dont own your feet.
mtb shoes are like anything else, every brand and model can fit your feet differently from every other joe blow out there.

and yes, #5 is the golden rule.
Likes For djb:
Old 10-08-20, 06:08 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I still wear these - Specialized touring shoes from the late '80s.

I still use either toe clips/straps or platform pedals. No cleats or SPDs for me!
funny, I had a pair of those, but was a goof and bought them just a bit too small. I remember the soles being very smooth and were a bugger for slipping when pushing a loaded bike up really steep hills on one of my first trips.
Gave them away to someone at some point. Got some spd pedals right after that anyway, not long after shimano came out with spd stuff.
Hadn't thought of those shoes in ages.
Old 10-08-20, 09:24 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts

Didn't they used to rent those at a bowling alley ? : )
Likes For robow:
Old 10-09-20, 05:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Didn't they used to rent those at a bowling alley ? : )
And I think he has two right feet.
Old 10-09-20, 03:33 PM
Cougrrcj

Bufore those Specialized shoes, I had a pair of Bata Bikers, that I bought from a vendor at Hilly Hundred in '77 or '78.

Now THOSE were slippery soles - but better than basic tennis shoes. I wasn't about to go all-in with leather-sole cycling shoes and cleats!
Old 10-10-20, 06:16 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
5. stop reading reviews.
I read them but look for the reviews discussing high arches. I have trouble with shoe fit and find this type of review helpful. I still want to try on the shoe before buying or have the ability to return them.

SPD sandals are my go to touring shoe, comfortable and stiff yet walk-able. My current ones are near the end. Difficult to find a decent replacement.

How do you folks have cycling shoes form the 80's!! I am throwing out my sandals and mnt biking shoes this year as they are worn out. Both lasted 7-10 years.
Old 10-10-20, 08:06 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I wear comfy shoes or sandals with a reasonably rugged and softish sole so it won't be torn up by the pedals yet provide grip.

For a variety of reasons I prefer platform pedals over SPDs - not least because I can move the foot around when needed - the aggressive "spikes" makes it so it only happens when I want it to.
Old 10-10-20, 10:46 AM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by balto charlie

How do you folks have cycling shoes form the 80's!! I am throwing out my sandals and mnt biking shoes this year as they are worn out. Both lasted 7-10 years.
I still have mine because I choose the days I ride. I choose NOT to ride in the rain. Getting shoes wet is the worst thing you can do to them - I was a walking mail carrier for over 25 years - I went through one- or two pairs of shoes per year.

I haven't multi-day 'toured' in over 35 years, and the majority of my rides are less than 35 miles. I still ride those distances in 'street clothes' and regular non-cycling shoes. I save my cycling shorts and touring shoes for rides of 40+ miles/two hours or more.
Old 10-10-20, 01:23 PM
balto charlie

I still have mine because I choose the days I ride. I choose NOT to ride in the rain. Getting shoes wet is the worst thing you can do to them - I was a walking mail carrier for over 25 years - I went through one- or two pairs of shoes per year.

I haven't multi-day 'toured' in over 35 years, and the majority of my rides are less than 35 miles. I still ride those distances in 'street clothes' and regular non-cycling shoes. I save my cycling shorts and touring shoes for rides of 40+ miles/two hours or more.
Makes sense. I bike commuted for 15 years in all weather so my gear took a major hit regularly. This is the year of shoes for me. As previously stated I threw out 2 pairs of cycling shoes and 2 prs. hiking shoes, 1 pair of regular sandals and 1 pair of casual shoes. I was cleaning out closets
Old 10-10-20, 05:37 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Lake shoes
Old 10-10-20, 07:02 PM
djb

Originally Posted by pcunite
Lake shoes
I raise your lake shoes with specialized shoes!
Lake shoes always were too wide or thereabouts and never fit me well.
one just has to try many brands and models and figure out what's best for them
Old 10-11-20, 05:58 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by pcunite
Lake shoes
My sandals were Lake, fit like a glove, great price........RIP, lasted years though. Wish they still made them.
Old 10-14-20, 08:51 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
The reason your road shoes hurt is because they don't fit right, not because they're road shoes. This should not come as a surprise - you said your feet were cramped. Get a pair of shoes that fit, set them up with insoles that match your arches and foot anatomy, and you'll be fine.

If you're touring, you're going to be way better off with MTB shoes.

I have a lot of bike shoes because I have a hard time getting a fit. I also have a background in fitting ski boots with are much more difficult and typically at least as a precise of a fit than bike shoes. Presuming you have a rigid enough sole in your MTB shoe, you should not any hot spots. Hot spots come from having the shoe improperly level to the pedal or with respect to your leg anatomy. If the sole is not rigid enough, then you can have hot spots.

A lot of hot spots come from wear on the base of the shoe where it interfaces with the pedal. With most, virtually all, of spd style pedals depend on the tread on the shoe directly adjacent to the cleat to keep the shoe stable and level on the pedal. If there is any wear there the shoe can rock back and forth because the stability from the treat is lost. To this end, Sidi is one of the few companies with shoes where these treads are replaceable.

The big advantage between road and mtb pedals is that road pedals don't have this problem and the interface is completely between the pedal and the cleat. The second big advantage between road and mtb style pedals is that typically road pedals have more adjustment capability, canting capability and often much more float capability and adjustment - which are not small advantages. I have the same shoe for both mtb and road with just a difference in the sole. I've spent most of this year riding on MTB shoes riding gravel, but I find the road pedals are always more comfortable except when walking. The closest I've been able to replicate a road pedal feel in an mtb setup is with the Speedplay Syzr pedals. This has a cleat that does not depend on the shoe tread for stability and it has some cleat float that is more similar to a road pedal than to an mtb one.

But, bottom line, make sure that you get a shoe that fits your foot properly which is almost certainly your problem here. This is often easier with some of the newer "walkable" mtb style shoes. Then go out and get some decent quality insoles and replace the factory insoles. With a few exceptions the stock insoles you get are one click better than junk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.