Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much wind is too much?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 05:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

It's been rather windy here for the past week or two. Wind speeds in the 8-15mph with gusts up to 20mph. So today the wind was 21mph with gusts to 31mph and I decided to go out anyway. Heading into it was a slog... like dragging a truck tire behind me. With a tailwind I was riding 50% faster. And then the crosswind was an experience. I was on a nice 3% downhill doing 32mph when I passed the golf course and even with the "grip of death" on the bars I got blown 3' to the left and just glad there ware no cars passing me.

So.. when is too much wind?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-08-20, 05:58 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,680 Times in 4,076 Posts
For me it used to be 10mph was plenty. Then after a year in Wyoming I got used to the wind and will happily go out on windier days.
Old 10-08-20, 06:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I rode on a stormy day a few years back. It was lull to gust and back in consistent cycles. Stuff racing sailors know well. The lulls were close to 20. The gusts were up to the high 30s. Two stretches of that ride were crosswinds and open. I got caught on the first in full gust. I needed my entire half of the road to ride it and didn't dare slow and try to stop. Missed my first driveway. The next I pulled into so I could make a downwind stop, then crouched, leaning into the wind the rest of the gust cycle. The second crosswind road I simply stopped as the gust started and waited it out.

I've passed on opportunities to do that again.
Old 10-08-20, 06:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
To answer the question of how much is too much, I look at the roads I'll be riding and the bike as well. My very low BB, long and stable Raleigh Competition with its wide, soft tires is very different from my high BB fix gear that is basically a 1980s race bike (and the bike I was riding in the post above). Roads that are protected by trees and buildings can be far easier to ride than open roads. (But with the awareness of flying branches and gusts around buildings.)

I can ride into Portland and back home in far more wind than I would ever ride out in the county. In my commute days, wild almost never factored into the ride or no decision.
Old 10-08-20, 06:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

^^^^^^^
I ride a 14# bike with 25mm tires on Zipp 303s.

Last edited by GlennR; 10-08-20 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 06:31 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
It helps if you ride shallow aluminium rims.
High winds are good for Strava KOM's
Likes For Dean V:
Old 10-08-20, 06:39 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I’d say 15 is about the max that I’ll go out. It’s the blustery winds and especially the crosswinds that really make it unpleasant. I’m a bigger guy (192 lbs) and I get blown to bits to the point of danger in windy conditions. And yes, shallow rims make a big difference.
Old 10-08-20, 06:52 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
High winds are good for Strava KOM's
The only thing that pops into my mind at the mention of wind.

Figure out which direction it's blowing and snipe accordingly.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-08-20, 06:57 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28606 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
For me it used to be 10mph was plenty. Then after a year in Wyoming I got used to the wind and will happily go out on windier days.
What's there to be happy about?
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 10-08-20, 07:15 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I only worry about wind when it's cold. We rarely get winds more than the 15 - 20 mph range, but I did catch a day with 30+ mph winds and thought it was fun. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it was interesting for the experience. It was coming straight out of the south so I took a route that allowed me to handle one of my tougher hills with ease. Of course it was very warm and I was on empty country roads. Under other conditions it could have been much less pleasant.
Old 10-08-20, 07:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by jon c.
one of my tougher hills
Come on the only places above sea level in Florida are the highway overpasses
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-08-20, 07:51 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Come on the only places above sea level in Florida are the highway overpasses
The Tallahassee area is actually pretty hilly...
Old 10-08-20, 08:13 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
The problem with wind from my point of view is at some point there are too many small particles in the air and you are working hard and drawing them deep into the lungs.
Likes For popeye:
Old 10-08-20, 08:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Gee, never thought of it in terms of mph, because the winds here are often quite gusty. I can usually adjust my ride to avoid the worst of it, because the closer you are to various gaps in the hills, the worse it is, AND it generally gets progressively stronger till dark. So, I might start 4 miles farther south which puts me 4 miles farther from the gap, then start my ride upwind to that other point, so the part riding into the worst of the wind is 1) when the winds aren't so strong, and 2) not the last 4 miles of the ride.

I also tend to ride my steel bikes on windy days, too, because they're less affected by crosswinds than the CF bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-08-20, 10:10 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,680 Times in 4,076 Posts
On this commute I had to duck under the roof over the entrance to a chiropractor's office for 20 minutes 'til this blew past.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl5Jnn9B...on_share_sheet
Old 10-09-20, 12:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Maybe around 20 mph? Sometimes you can find a route that cheats the wind.
Old 10-09-20, 02:39 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Wind sucks but where I live you either put up with it or don't ride outside a lot of the time. The absolute key thing is ensure you go out into headwind so get tailwind home (if at all possible). Getting it wrong and having a 20 mile headwind slog home is gruesome.

To answer the original question, if wind was consistently 30mph + then I'll reconsider going out, anything less I'll ride (and curse).

Last edited by SurferCyclist; 10-09-20 at 02:47 AM.
Likes For SurferCyclist:
Old 10-09-20, 05:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I like really windy days for PR and KOM hunting. Almost every local KOM and top ten is either wind assisted or paceline assisted, so wind doping is like EPO in the 1990s -- everyone does it.

I reclaimed a top ten last month on a 1.4 mile gradual roller climb with help from a 16 mph tailwind. I had 6th for a while, then got nudged out, but got 6th again ... although it's already dropped to 7th. Everyone snipes the same segments in fall and spring when our usual south wind shifts to north and, on some days, east or west. I snipe on weekdays since I'm retired and can pick pretty much any day when the wind is right.

But it's kind of a joke. I sandbag to conserve energy, loafing into headwinds, so my average overall speed isn't impressive on really windy days. There are a couple dozen local riders who could easily beat my best times if they happened to ride the same segment on the same days in the same wind conditions. It's more impressive when a genuinely strong rider snags a KOM on a loop segment, which means he/she had to battle the headwind to do it.

One of my favorite loops is pretty well sheltered against crosswinds, partly by trees but mostly by the peculiar rolling prairie that diverts the worse of the crosswinds. It's surprisingly neutral when heading east and west, even when there's a fierce southerly or northerly wind. And it's a two lane access road with relatively little traffic, so there's little risk of danger even if we do get blown around a little. There are some segments I won't ride in crosswinds because drivers pass too closely and we need more than 3 feet for a buffer against crosswinds. So on really windy days I'll stick to a couple of familiar loops on access roads and do a few repeats trying to snag a PR.

I can avoid most traffic so I'm not too worried about vehicles on windy days. Main thing I worry about above 20 mph is debris blowing around. I caught a plastic bag in my rear derailleur a few years ago. That was exciting for a moment. If the wind is steady I'm not too worried but when it's gusting above 20 mph I start keeping an eye on those temporary road signs and barriers set up with sandbags, and overhanging tree limbs. Disease killing local live oaks makes them treacherous, especially after a rain.

I don't have any high profile rims but with the one set of 30mm or so rims I do have I can feel the difference in crosswinds. I usually prefer the low profile rims anyway.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-09-20, 05:55 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
The absolute key thing is ensure you go out into headwind so get tailwind home (if at all possible). Getting it wrong and having a 20 mile headwind slog home is gruesome.
I'll go for a ride after work and more times than not, the wind dies down to nearly nothing as we get close to sunset. So I head out into the wind, looking forward to a fast ride home with a stiff tailwind.... Only to find the tailwind has vanished! Oh well, at least I'm not headed home into the wind.
Old 10-09-20, 06:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
The problem with wind from my point of view is at some point there are too many small particles in the air and you are working hard and drawing them deep into the lungs.
Those are the windy-day's version of the small bugs and gnats we get on the days with no wind.

A couple days ago, I rode after work and it was like being pelted with bugs! There was no wind - not even the tiniest breeze - so the bugs had apparently all decided it was time to party.
Old 10-09-20, 07:14 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
I’d say 15 is about the max that I’ll go out.
That is my limit as well.
Old 10-09-20, 07:34 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I used to live in the midwest, where it was flat, wide open, and very windy. Our normal rides took us past several wind farms and a 15 mph wind was pretty much normal. The few trees that there were all grew slanted to the east as they couldn't grow straight with the constant wind from the west.

But we would also get windstorms, that would run winds up to 30-40 mph with 70mph gusts. The wind was strong enough that I could feel my 3-story apartment building moving with the wind.

Anyway, on a couple occasions, I found myself in the middle of a wind/dust storm while out riding. One time, the storm came in as I turned east (all roads ran nearly perfectly N/S-E/W), and I was cruising along at about 45mph with the wind at my back. I didn't even get my HR up. But then I turned back north and had to deal with a horrible side wind. Older Mavic Ksyriums were like sails in a side wind. I was always leaning into the wind. There would sometimes be breaks in the wind, and due to my lean, I would swerve left, nearly falling over. I would speed up or slow down to try to avoid the tumbleweeds. If they hit, they would often get stuck in the rear wheel/triangle.

I then turned back west. I was grinding in my 39-27 and traveling maybe 6-8 mph. After about an hour of that, I'd had enough. I stopped to pull out my phone and call my wife to come get me. It was then that I saw that I had 4 voicemails from her cause she didn't want me riding out in that storm.
Old 10-09-20, 07:38 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
As for getting PBs' or KOMs well it's blindingly obvious it's what 99.9% of people do, wait for a howling tailwind and then go for it. We all know that the top guys can beat our times whatever so it's all a joke. Those who like to boast about their KOMs, well kinda tragic but each to their own I guess. I know the few KOMs I've had are only borrowed and there are probably millions of quicker riders in the world so pretty meaningless in grand scheme of things. Nice to get one for sure but don't kid yourself you're the quickest.
Old 10-09-20, 08:44 AM
Synmag

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Those are the windy-day's version of the small bugs and gnats we get on the days with no wind.

A couple days ago, I rode after work and it was like being pelted with bugs! There was no wind - not even the tiniest breeze - so the bugs had apparently all decided it was time to party.
My usual route is on a paved rolling path through the woods next to a small river. I like to ride late afternoon/early evening after the strong sun but before the temps drop. I noticed that all these little buggers like to hang out over the path just before sunset as if they were sunbathing. I have learned to avoid them by tilting my head down and sucking air through my teeth but occasionally I suck down a large bug just as I inhale. I'm no doctor but there's gotta be some safety mechanism built in because each time it seems like they end up in my stomach.

I agree with the above comment that sailors are familiar with gusts and the same applies to biking. When I used to commute, on windy days it always seemed to me that no matter which way I was riding, it was always into a headwind. This was in a downtown setting with tall buildings with a wind tunnel effect.

When I'm fitness riding my general rule is that I don't want to ride into a headwind where I can't make progress once I get into an aero position. Typically with gusts it becomes my HIIT training.

TBH I don't know how you road riders do it any day never mind in crosswind. I'd fear for my life. It is nice on a country road with no traffic though. These new bike radars definitely help.
Old 10-09-20, 11:32 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Anytime I see 7-8mph in the forecast I start checking my indoor setup to make sure everything is in place. I always hated the wind on or off the bike.
Likes For rower2cyclist:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.