Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me choose brake pads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 06:27 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

I need to put new brake pads on my 1984 Trek 770 with Campy Super Record brakes. What would you recommend ? I live in northern Ca in Napa Valley and we don't get that much rain so that isn't a big consideration. I know this probably has been discussed many times before.
Old 10-19-20, 06:40 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I need to put new brake pads on my 1984 Trek 770 with Campy Super Record brakes. What would you recommend ? I live in northern Ca in Napa Valley and we don't get that much rain so that isn't a big consideration. I know this probably has been discussed many times before.
I replaced the Campagnolo pads on my 1984 Bianchi with the exact same type black pads it had. It took a few rides to break them in, but they work just fine.... for me.
Old 10-19-20, 06:59 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Salmon Kool stop pads are highly regarded around here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOOL-STOP-B...MAAOSwZKJea9UI
Likes For brian3069:
Old 10-19-20, 07:18 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I replaced the Campagnolo pads on my 1984 Bianchi with the exact same type black pads it had. It took a few rides to break them in, but they work just fine.... for me.

Great ! Can you recommend a supplier ? Seems like any bike stuff I try to order lately is out of stock
Old 10-19-20, 07:42 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by brian3069
Salmon Kool stop pads are highly regarded around here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOOL-STOP-B...MAAOSwZKJea9UI

Thanks for the info ! And they are in stock ! Yay !
Likes For frogman:
Old 10-19-20, 08:38 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I just replaced the hard worthless ones on my Colnago Super with some Kool Stop Salmons. I got mine from Porkchop BMX. New pads work great. The old pads were a cinch to get out too. First one pushed out easily by hand. The other 3 were a little tighter but some PB blaster at the two holes in the back of the holder sorted them right out. New pads were tight but I used a little dawn to lubricate and then no problem.
Old 10-20-20, 05:42 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Great ! Can you recommend a supplier ? Seems like any bike stuff I try to order lately is out of stock
I got mine about a year ago through the ubiquitous "A" Prime and they were in stock ... just needed to search. Please note... I wanted to retain some of the originality of my brakes and never had a problem with the black Campy pads. I needed to clean/sand them once in a while but that didn't bother me. I DO have Kool Stops on my Cannondale MTB due to different braking needs and love them. Again, I personally never saw a need for different brand pads on my road bike; you might benefit from the Kool Stops as many are suggesting.
Old 10-20-20, 07:03 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have early-generation Campag. brake calipers and Shimano aero brake levers on my Bianchi. (Since I can't rapidly "get a grip" on long-reach levers in a panic stop, I equip all of my bikes with shorter-reach levers, including Shimanos and vintage Weinmann/DiaCompes.) I tried a set of Shimano pads because they looked nice, but they terrified me with extremely poor performance. KoolStop salmons solved the problem handily.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-20-20, 09:53 AM
frogman

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I got mine about a year ago through the ubiquitous "A" Prime and they were in stock ... just needed to search. Please note... I wanted to retain some of the originality of my brakes and never had a problem with the black Campy pads. I needed to clean/sand them once in a while but that didn't bother me. I DO have Kool Stops on my Cannondale MTB due to different braking needs and love them. Again, I personally never saw a need for different brand pads on my road bike; you might benefit from the Kool Stops as many are suggesting.

I also want to maintain the originality of this 84 Trek 770. It is all original so far. Even has the original Trek water bottle in the holder I spent quite a while finding original replacements for the rear derailleur jockey pulleys but finally found a pair. I will keep looking for the Campy pads. The old pads on the bike actually look fine, no wear showing but I'm thinking it would be good to replace them after 36 years.
Likes For frogman:
Old 10-22-20, 12:48 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
I also want to maintain the originality of this 84 Trek 770. It is all original so far. Even has the original Trek water bottle in the holder I spent quite a while finding original replacements for the rear derailleur jockey pulleys but finally found a pair. I will keep looking for the Campy pads. The old pads on the bike actually look fine, no wear showing but I'm thinking it would be good to replace them after 36 years.
When it comes to brake pads, period correct is okay, but safer is better. Get the Kool Stops. Even if you never go into the hills to your east or west, there is traffic in the Napa Valley, so better performing pads are a good idea.

By 1984, it was hardly unusual for folks to swap out their original brake pads for better stopping salmon-colored replacements (Matthausers or Kool Stops), so they won't look out of place now.

Keep in mind that my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.
Old 10-22-20, 09:53 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
When it comes to brake pads, period correct is okay, but safer is better. Get the Kool Stops. Even if you never go into the hills to your east or west, there is traffic in the Napa Valley, so better performing pads are a good idea.

By 1984, it was hardly unusual for folks to swap out their original brake pads for better stopping salmon-colored replacements (Matthausers or Kool Stops), so they won't look out of place now.

Keep in mind that my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

I just ordered some salmon Kool Stops from Ebay. Thanks for the info !
Old 10-23-20, 01:11 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
I just ordered some salmon Kool Stops from Ebay. Thanks for the info !
I'm bikingshearer, and I approved this message.