Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Top 25 Bike Touring Blogs

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-20-21, 07:13 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts

for those interested, the Adventure Junkies website has posted a list of 25 Top Bike Touring Blogs. They explain: The total score that every blog receive is based on 3 key indicators: Alexa Score, Page Authority and Domain Authority.

My site (biketouringtips.com) clocked in at number 18.
Likes For raybo:
Old 01-20-21, 09:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
A bit misleading (not a big big deal) because "bike touring blog" to me is someone's personal trip blog, where these are general bike touring and bike packing sites, which again is fine.

there certainly are some great resources out there for newcomers or experienced folks to get info on so many aspects of traveling by bike, not to mention just encouraging and getting people to dream.

was surprised that crazy guy isn't there, just shows that it's considered old fashioned and boring, just like us on here ;-)
Old 01-20-21, 12:43 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
I wondered about Crazy Guy as well. I wonder if it is his refusal to let Google and other sites to index his, which would affect his scores.
Old 01-20-21, 12:56 PM
djb

Originally Posted by raybo
I wondered about Crazy Guy as well. I wonder if it is his refusal to let Google and other sites to index his, which would affect his scores.
I know nothing of Google indexing to begin with, and nothing of how he manages or allows searches.
the other day I in fact did a Google search for crazy guy and was a bit perplexed to not get a first thing find for it, but just did a round about search for the blog I was looking for and until now, didn't think more than "oh, that was weird?...."

I know that the fellow has strong views on things, but like said, I know nothing of these rating and index stuff.

shame though, cgoab is a great resource.
Old 01-20-21, 01:10 PM
djb

Google searches don't show it directly, only references
Bing search shows it first one

So there you go. I'm still ignorant of the why, but that's it.
Old 01-20-21, 11:01 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Websites can exclude indexing by adding some kind of code (robot tags) in their web pages. I am not familiar with the details of Google/Bing policies wrt indexing exclusions. My query (bike touring journals) on Bing returned "we'd like to show you more but are not allowed" blurb. Same thing on duckduckgo. Google returned nothing, even when searching for "crazy guy on a bike".

No idea why the site's owner blocks robots. One possible reason is that it reduces worthless traffic (only motivated people will eventually reach the site). Would make sense if he's not sponsored or generating advertising income.
Old 01-21-21, 09:02 AM
djb

Originally Posted by gauvins
Websites can exclude indexing by adding some kind of code (robot tags) in their web pages. I am not familiar with the details of Google/Bing policies wrt indexing exclusions. My query (bike touring journals) on Bing returned "we'd like to show you more but are not allowed" blurb. Same thing on duckduckgo. Google returned nothing, even when searching for "crazy guy on a bike".

No idea why the site's owner blocks robots. One possible reason is that it reduces worthless traffic (only motivated people will eventually reach the site). Would make sense if he's not sponsored or generating advertising income.
thanks for the explanation, and yes, I'm fairly certain he has had problems in the past with spamming type stuff, and as the site doesn't do ads, he may have taken this route to avoid problem traffic.