Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Bike Size

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Bike Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 03:27 PM
Canaantri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Size

Hi everyone,

Relatively new to triathlon. I have a guru tri bike which has served me pretty well in two sprint triathlons. I知 able to get through that 12 miles with some mild pain in my neck/shoulder trap area when I知 the aero position. Beginning to think my position or something is incorrect. I see the right angle of pros elbows when in the aero position mine is not. To do that I have to almost come off my seat which leads me to think my bike is too small. I am 5,9 and my bike is a 56 cm as far as I can tell. Should I be looking into a new smaller bike or should it be my seat higher? Thanks In advance.
Old 02-04-21, 12:53 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
comfort

Think about this....when your seat is pushed forward your pedals are sorta in back of you ....that way you can ride in an aggressive posture........but if your seat is pushed to the rear your pedals are more in front of you and that will force you into a more upright position and makes it awkward to be in the drops....an inch or two will make a difference.......the horizontal length of your stem is really important to being comfortable.......if youre stretched out to far [or cramped up] your neck and shoulders are going to feel it.........you might need a stem a few inches shorter.....[or longer]........you can raise or lower you bars all day long but if your reach isnt right youll never be comfortable.......1/3 of your weight on the seat....1/3 on the pedals ....1/3 on the bars.........lots of people buy new bikes when all they needed was a different stem......keep adjusting all these little things until youre dialed in.....
Old 02-04-21, 01:10 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

AND you would be more comfy on a 54cm frame....but even if youre perfectly fitted to the frame you will still have to tweek it to get it perfect
Old 02-04-21, 01:10 AM
homelessjoe

comfort

Think about this....when your seat is pushed forward your pedals are sorta in back of you ....that way you can ride in an aggressive posture........but if your seat is pushed to the rear your pedals are more in front of you and that will force you into a more upright position and makes it awkward to be in the drops....an inch or two will make a difference.......the horizontal length of your stem is really important to being comfortable.......if youre stretched out to far [or cramped up] your neck and shoulders are going to feel it.........you might need a stem a few inches shorter.....[or longer]........you can raise or lower you bars all day long but if your reach isnt right youll never be comfortable.......1/3 of your weight on the seat....1/3 on the pedals ....1/3 on the bars.........lots of people buy new bikes when all they needed was a different stem......keep adjusting all these little things until youre dialed in.....