Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

TRP Cable Pull Disc Brakes Surprisingly Good!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

TRP Cable Pull Disc Brakes Surprisingly Good!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21, 10:40 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
I may be wrong.

Anyway, I can confirm that Juin Tech R1 is much stronger than TRP Spyres. After the upgrade I have the stopping power from the hoods I had been missing before. I am not saying that Spyres or BB7s are bad, for me some advantages of Juin Tech R1 are:​​​​​​
  • Better stopping power, need it as a heavy rider.
  • Hydraulic system will re-center automatically, very convenient for the QR wheels I have on the Double Cross.
  • Adjustment for pad wear is done with one knob. With Spyres I had to drill a hole in the dork disk for the 3mm wrench to adjust the pads. Also, these adjustment screws would loosen, making me re-adjust them periodically. Purple Loctite (kind of) fixed this.
  • Slightly shorter lever throw, easier to setup.
  • No sophisticated mechanical parts which can be contaminated with dirt.
Not sure about oil boiling on long descents, have not tried that. Spyres and BB7s win here.
I don't believe recentering is correct, none of the hydraulic calipers can recenter since the caliper is not floating(like a car caliper). They have automatic pad advancement but if you swap between wheels you have to reset and recenter each time with any hydro system if the rotor location differs significantly
Old 07-21-21, 06:14 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I don't believe recentering is correct, none of the hydraulic calipers can recenter since the caliper is not floating(like a car caliper). They have automatic pad advancement but if you swap between wheels you have to reset and recenter each time with any hydro system if the rotor location differs significantly
Got me!

Yes, saying "it will recenter" is not right, what I meant is that one of the pistons will extend further making the pads recenter on the rotor. On TRP Spyres this was done by adjusting the pads using a 3mm wrench.

Another thing I like about Juin Tech is that it uses Shimano A-type pads, which are narrow profile as opposed to the wide profile B-type used by Spyres. This makes it compatible with both wide and narrow profile rotors.
Likes For csport:
Old 07-24-21, 05:18 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
So random update: I swapped my older TRP Spyres for some TRP HY/RDs. Only changed calipers - the rotors and cable housings stayed.

What I expected was that there would be less friction/resistance in pulling the hydro lever on the HY/RDs than the mechanical lever on the Spyres. I was right. They feel really nice and they give me quite a bit more control when trying to modulate the brakes over technical riding.

These are being paired w. the Sensah SRX Pro levers and they work very well.
Likes For DarKris: