Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Jockey wheel cage contacting the freewheel cogs.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-23-21, 09:08 PM
Raleigh71

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Here's an issue I haven't encountered before. 1981 Motobecane "Mirage Sport" 12 speed.

When the chain is on the smaller chainring, the cage that protects the jockey wheels actually contacts the cogs in the freewheel.

I'm pretty sure the chain is the right length. I tried shortening it and it was clearly too short.

Original rear derailleur. Original drivetrain except new chain.

Any ideas? See photo.

Red arrow points to where the aluminum cage that protects the jockey wheels is contacting the outer surface of the 6th cog.
Old 02-23-21, 09:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Curious. If nothing changed, what changed?

This is squarely in the b-screw wheelhouse, but a b-screw is not a thing you have...How's the spring tension? Did it lose a turn? Is that a thing that can be lost?

On cantileversthat have a plastic spring retainer, the plastic spring retainer has a tendency to crack & fatigue with age releasing the spring. Could something similar have happened here?

Last edited by base2; 02-23-21 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 09:43 PM
Raleigh71

Originally Posted by base2
Curious. If nothing changed, what changed?

This is squarely in the b-screw wheelhouse, but a b-screw is not a thing you have...How's the spring tension? Did it lose a turn? Is that a thing that can be lost?

On cantileversthat have a plastic spring retainer, the plastic spring retainer has a tendency to crack & fatigue with age releasing the spring. Could something similar have happened here?

Please educate me as to what a B-screw is. I think the spring tension on the freewheel jockey wheels is right up there.I don't think the spring tension on the derailleur has ever been messed with.

See jpg.

Old 02-23-21, 09:55 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Part 5. Bottom of the article.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-23-21, 09:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I believe the chain is actually too short and is pulling the cage too close to the big cog. Did you duplicate the original chain's length when you installed the new one? Is it a new freewheel with a larger big cog?
Old 02-23-21, 10:06 PM
Raleigh71

Originally Posted by HillRider
I believe the chain is actually too short and is pulling the cage too close to the big cog. Did you duplicate the original chain's length when you installed the new one? Is it a new freewheel with a larger big cog?
I'll try adding a a couple links.

I sized the chain according to the standard method the guys on the Park You-tube videos describe.

I can't remember what happened to the original chain, frankly. This rebuild was long in coming and survived a move. Chain probably got trashed along the way.

Everything on the bike was OEM except for the new chain.

I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 02-23-21, 10:36 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
Please educate me as to what a B-screw is.
The b-pivot is the place where the derailleur attaches to the dropout. One some derailleurs, there is a screw next to this pivot, which you can use to adjust the angle at which the derailleur hangs from the bicycle. In most cases, causing a derailleur to rotate clockwise about the pivot (when viewed from the drive side) will cause the jockey wheel and cage to sit farther from the cogs, thus solving the sort of problem you're having.

However, your Huret derailleur does not appear to have a screw for b-pivot adjustment.

In your first photo, where the derailleur bolts to the dropout, see how there's a sort of tab from the derailleur resting against a stop on the dropout, which controls the angle that the derailleur mounts at? You could remove the derailleur from the bike and see if there's some way to adjust that tab; some Huret derailleurs have multiple "stops" that the tabbed washer can be set into, to control this angle.
Old 02-23-21, 10:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
I think the cage's inner plate being upside down has something to do with the problem... Remove it and reinstall right side up and get back to us with your findings. Andy
Old 02-24-21, 04:04 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I think the cage's inner plate being upside down has something to do with the problem... Remove it and reinstall right side up and get back to us with your findings. Andy
Well spotted!
Old 02-24-21, 06:22 AM
Raleigh71

Thanks for all the great ideas, gents!

I'll take the derailleur off and see what you're describing and let you know. It's possible I reassembled the cage wrong.

There's no adjustment screw to allow changing the angle of the derailleur. This was a lower-end bike.
Old 02-24-21, 06:32 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
Thanks for all the great ideas, gents!

I'll take the derailleur off and see what you're describing and let you know. It's possible I reassembled the cage wrong.

There's no adjustment screw to allow changing the angle of the derailleur. This was a lower-end bike.
Andy has it exactly right. The inner plate needs to be flipped end for end.
Old 02-28-21, 06:24 PM
Raleigh71

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT ON!!!

I assembled the cage wrong!

See photos. Any ideas?

(Incorrect)

(correct)

Not the stupidest move I've ever made by a long shot, but the good news is:

1. Nobody got hurt.
2. No money was lost.
3. No permanent damage.
4. Learning experience. This is a mistake I won't make again.

But the saga continues:

I decided to remove the 40 year old largely solidified grease from the hanger cage and spring. Every 40 years or so I figure that should get done.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to reassemble it so the derailleur hangs as it's designed. See photos. There's only 1 hole for the spring.

What the heck am I doing wrong??

See photos:

It's off by about 180' What gives?

other side

disassembled

disassembled
Likes For Raleigh71:
Old 02-28-21, 07:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Good eye! That was hard to spot in the photos, at least for me.
Old 02-28-21, 07:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Can you pull it down? Maybe it will hang correctly once the chain and wheel are on there.
Old 02-28-21, 08:00 PM
Bimmer69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
First picture in this thread might help as a reference as how to it’s supposed to hang.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...otobecane.html