Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Review the route before you ride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you like to review the route prior to your ride?
Yes, it helps me decide if it's something I'd feel comfortable riding.
78.95%
No, I just show up and hope Mt Everest isn't on the route.
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-21, 02:02 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts

I have a neighbor who started cycling after knee surgery. He got to where he could comfortably ride around 18 miles locally, then asked me if I would join him on a charity ride sponsored by a nearby cycling club. One of the routes they offered was a short 20 miles. Of course, I agreed.
On the day of the ride we checked in at the registration table and got our route cuesheet. Roads had been pre-marked with colored arrows at the turns for the various routes.
Off we went. 20 miles, most of which included climbing sections with one section at an 18+% grade. (I'll admit, some of those were 'get off and walk the bike to the top' sections.) Needless to say, we ended up totally exhausted, and spent the next day or two resting our knees (I have had knee surgery previously.) We both swore we would never sign up for a group / charity ride again, unless the route was published on something like RidewithGPS to see what kind of terrain we would be tackling.
How do you approach group / charity rides?

NOTE: section in italics edited to clarify for those conceptually challenged

Last edited by Bald Paul; 03-16-21 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-15-21, 02:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
All sorts of ways. Just depends on things too varied to even think about.

Many of the organized rides I do now post the route on RWGPS or Strava. I'll take a look at it on that website. That makes it nice so you can see route profile and know where those climbs are that you need to consider. I'll also usually take a look at the map with the satellite imagery layer and see what type of area the route goes through. Sometimes even zooming down to street level and seeing what it looks like.

I have for a few rides, ridden them before the actual ride. Either on my bike or by car. So you got all kinds of choices. If they don't post to a website like RWGPS or Strava, then I'll just look at what ever map they provide and try to make my own course on RWGPS and many times you can find that someone else already has done that. Otherwise, google earth can be your friend too. The limit is your own imagination.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-15-21 at 02:48 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-15-21, 02:50 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I would complain strenuously to the organizer(s) if a 20 mile "easy" route included an 18% grade. My neighbor, who organizes the local club's century, typically notes anything over 8-9% on the route description.

6% is pretty normal for bike routes IME. Nothing to complain about.

And let me come back with another question. How do you know the climb was at 18%? Lots of people complain about climbs, and like fishermen, the measurement starts high and grows with each telling. Did you have an inclinometer on either bike?
Old 03-15-21, 06:16 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
And let me come back with another question. How do you know the climb was at 18%? Lots of people complain about climbs, and like fishermen, the measurement starts high and grows with each telling. Did you have an inclinometer on either bike?
Not answering for the OP but Strava marks the grade % of an incline if there is a segment. I use it to see what kind of pain I've endured. That being said, I don't use Strava to plan out my rides to prevent surprises like 18% grades but if I was smart I would!
Likes For gthomson:
Old 03-15-21, 06:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
It's hard to imagine an 18% grade on any event ride without some advance notice, especially a 20 mile ride. This was a road ride?
Likes For big john:
Old 03-15-21, 08:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
All the groups I've ever ridden with publish their routes ahead of time, usually on RWGPS. It's not just 18% grades which are of interest, but rather how is the route effort-loaded, so one knows how to manage one's energy stores. Also very steep descents ending at traffic or stop lights, stuff like that. I wouldn't ever ride a route I hadn't looked at ahead of time. Even bike touring, I try to know what I'm getting into. I remember one time touring on our tandem and going by an Adventure Cycling map, there were not only loose gravel on super steep hills, almost impossible to climb even on foot, but we also crossed into the grounds of a penitentiary and were summarily turned around. So much for maps.
Old 03-15-21, 08:44 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
How can I review the route ahead of time when I'm not even sure where I'm going when I head out?
Old 03-16-21, 05:58 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I would complain strenuously to the organizer(s) if a 20 mile "easy" route included an 18% grade. My neighbor, who organizes the local club's century, typically notes anything over 8-9% on the route description.

6% is pretty normal for bike routes IME. Nothing to complain about.

Believe me, we did give some feedback to the organizing club. The response was something to the effect of 'well, it was posted as a 20 mile route, not necessarily an easy route'.
Post ride, we downloaded the ride from my Garmin and analyzed the climbs. 18% was peak, most were 8-10%.

Originally Posted by big john
It's hard to imagine an 18% grade on any event ride without some advance notice, especially a 20 mile ride. This was a road ride?
Yes, on road. Sometimes I wonder how they ever managed to lay down the asphalt on some of the sections!

Originally Posted by steve0257
How can I review the route ahead of time when I'm not even sure where I'm going when I head out?
Exactly my point. If no map or route is provided pre-event, you have no idea. And, it's sometimes easy to miss a turn arrow, 12" long, painted on the side shoulder at the bottom of a descent and go off course for miles before you realize it. Uploading the route to your GPS beforehand can give you the additional notification of upcoming turns.
Old 03-16-21, 06:09 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I try and look at routes ahead of time. The hills don’t concern me too much, but I always like to know how the route will be affected by the wind direction.
Old 03-16-21, 06:49 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
Fair question. People keep telling me about Strava shadowing or heat maps or something? Sounds a bit technical to me but you can see where other people have ridden to get route ideas. Maybe someone in this group knows more? Might be a membership only feature now.
Old 03-16-21, 08:20 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
I cannot think of any 18% grades that are maybe 1/4 mile tops that would not be well known in my neck of the woods.
I always route my rides on ridewithgps so I can identify parks for water and restrooms, bike lanes and to stay away from freeways.
Old 03-16-21, 08:41 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I cannot think of any 18% grades that are maybe 1/4 mile tops that would not be well known in my neck of the woods.
I always route my rides on ridewithgps so I can identify parks for water and restrooms, bike lanes and to stay away from freeways.
Agreed, but there are also several 20 mile routes that don't use them. Unless you know the planned route, you have absolutely no way of knowing,
Here are stats of two 'short' rides listed on RideWithGPS. As you can see, there's a big difference.
Old 03-16-21, 09:16 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Fair question. People keep telling me about Strava shadowing or heat maps or something? Sounds a bit technical to me but you can see where other people have ridden to get route ideas. Maybe someone in this group knows more? Might be a membership only feature now.
Here ya go: https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/....36000/hot/all

I always like to know where I'm going when I head out. I never just "go for a ride." Every ride of mine has a purpose and thus a duration and a difficulty, chosen ahead of time. I map out my rides on RidewithGPS. I download the ride from there to my Garmin and just follow the prompts. Without a Garmin or similar, one can print cue sheets from RWGPS, though I think one now has to have a premium account there to do that. Which I've had for many years, totally worth it, plus it's good to support people who do such valuable work for our sport.
Old 03-16-21, 10:34 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Sorry the ride didn't work out, but this is surely overstated.

"20 miles, most of which included climbing sections with 18+% grades"

If you did a 20 mile ride with 10 climbs with 18+% grades, I'll eat my cycling gloves.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-16-21, 11:20 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Sorry the ride didn't work out, but this is surely overstated.

"20 miles, most of which included climbing sections with 18+% grades"

If you did a 20 mile ride with 10 climbs with 18+% grades, I'll eat my cycling gloves.
First, I never said there were 10 climbs. Second, the 18% was the steepest section, not all climbs.
I'll try to word things more concisely in the future.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 03-16-21 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-16-21, 11:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts

I find it much easier to preview a route before I ride.
Old 03-16-21, 12:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
First, I never said there were 10 climbs. Second, the 18% was the steepest section, not all climbs.
I'll try to word things more concisely in the future.
Oh, it won't matter much, we all get kicked for things others find odd and if you don't get dinged for how detailed and exact you are then you'll get what you just got flak for. I just got a similar ding for using the word "collapse" in another thread that technically wasn't proper. <grin>

Originally Posted by tomato coupe

I find it much easier to preview a route before I ride.
Old 03-16-21, 01:06 PM
Bald Paul

Old 03-16-21, 01:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
I use Strava a lot to plan route ideas for solo rides (mostly to see what will fit within my available window of time), or check out what to expect on group ride routes I'm not familiar with. That said, I have yet to ride using turn-by-turn guidance on my Wahoo Bolt.
Old 03-16-21, 07:39 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
I usually preview the route because I won’t get stranded without water and I will know if it is within my ability.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-17-21, 06:35 AM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I do this all the time, pick a route and then drive it, watch for road conditions and pinch points, traffic, dangerous spots with limited visability
hard to find a route that I think is safe for me to ride that doesn't put me in harms way on the road
Likes For Tom L:
Old 03-17-21, 07:46 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
People that organize rides are either non-riders or they are masochistic TdF wannabe’s. Yes, I check the ride route even when local and all the moreso for out of area rides. I’m a decent climber and want to be in good enough shape to climb the included hills but sometimes it gets ridiculous when organizers think they absolutely MUST stuff in as many hills per mile as possible.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-18-21, 04:03 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
My wife and I decided to take a drive to check out a posted ride not too far away from our home. Thankfully we did this before riding as it was one of the most flipping dangerous routes I’ve ever seen. We did encounter a few cyclists who clearly didn’t see it that way but to each their own.
It’s not always possible to drive them out but we try to if we can.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-18-21, 06:47 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I like to use Google Maps Street View to see what kind of shoulders I'll have, how well-maintained the roads are, and what kinds of food and drink options I'll find along the way.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-18-21, 07:55 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've enjoyed some exotic locations and it's possible to scout out any destination with tools like Map-my-ride and Google Earth. So yes, I plan my rides.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-18-21 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For Barrettscv:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.