Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearing service time/ mileage schedule?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 09:28 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

My primary bike is a Wilier Triestina with Record 11 and Fulcrum Racing Zero wheelset which I bought used from a dedicated cyclist and have been putting many happy miles on for about a year.
Yesterday I was finally able to ride my Colnago C40 which was out of commission for several months and received a full tune up with its reassembly. The Colnago simply pedaled and glided more smoothly than the Wilier which made me wonder if the Wilier needs a servicing as well? Is there a mileage/ time frame guideline?

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 03-22-21 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 11:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Get it serviced and see. Then we'll know... if you share the result.

Service intervals are anywhere from every other ride, to never. It's what ever makes you happy.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-22-21, 01:13 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
On cup and cone bearings on the back of my bikes I overhaul them at 2500 mile intervals. The fronts are old SunTour hubs with 2001 radial bearings. I replace as needed.
The shimano SPD pedals get regreased at 5000 miles. The chain removed and cleaned and relubed at 800 miles.
Old 03-22-21, 07:48 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
It can really vary from component to component and depending on how harsh the environment. If yiou have a good mechanic bring i in and ask them to check it out overall and see of any bearings need to be serviced instead of going in for an overhaul...
Old 03-23-21, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I have a 8 to 10 bike rotation and own 18 C&V bikes and 3 for the kids when they visit. I have tried but can not keep milage logs. I do have a now ingrained routine with the bike in the stand before we go out. Often needs some dust or dirt removed usually with a little Pledge and then everything that rotates on the bike gets rotated to listen and feel for roughness from the wheelset to the pedals, i.e./spin the wheels, try to rock the wheel sideways, anytime it is out of the frame and in my hands it gets spun for sound/roughness feel, etc. If a chain is off for clean/lube I spin the crank and the real wheel in the frame which helps to not have pawl sound. Lots of this with the final check on the headset out of the stand for airing tires with applying front brake and rocking the bike to feel any play.
Old 03-25-21, 07:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Every winter on a particularly cold and rainy weekend is a good time to repack the bearings.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-25-21, 07:51 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
The Colnago simply pedaled and glided more smoothly than the Wilier which made me wonder if the Wilier needs a servicing as well?
That's a pretty subjective assessment. There are other factors that may explain your riding observations such as minor differences in rider position, tire weight and type, the placebo effect of a recently overhauled bike, etc.

Put the Willier on a repair stand and spin the wheels to see how smoothly they rotate. Do the same with the crank and see how easily it turns. Repeat with the Colanago and see if there is any noticeable difference in drag or resistance. That will tell you more objectively if the Willier needs attention.
Old 03-25-21, 12:58 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I'm not at all surprised to hear that your Colnago feels smoother. It's probably a placebo effect of riding such a cool bike.
Old 03-26-21, 05:37 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Concerning subjectivity, I have five Romet Jubilats, each with a different set up and each feels different.

However, the one that feels the smoothest is the one I have invested the most time and effort in optimising. The worst is the one on which I have spent the least effort.

I can feel which ones are ready to have their pedals rebuilt or replaced, or the brakes need adjusting, or the wheels truing.

So my question is whether, by jumping from one to another, you can establish where one feels better than the other?