Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Diversity Day for my road bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 09:28 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts

Plan to share the love between my four CA road bikes for a CNote(M) or metric century.

The diversity is Columbus SL, SLX, TI, and carbon frames. Also old school vs newer tech brifters and carbon wheels.

Also wanted to get in some training using full Eroica bike which was my Colnago Super with strapped pedals (Shimano PD-7100) which I find more comfortable than the Campy SR that should be on that setup. They have nice flat platforms. The hills in my Temecula area are good for this plan and I can make my garage the departure / return point for each segment (4).

Rode Colnago Super 1985 (SL), Guerciotti Super Corsa circa 1979 (SLX), custom Litespeed by Douglass TI, and Cervelo carbon bikes yesterday to ride my new age (BD) day miles CNote(M) or metric century. Was fun to share the love and compare the riding efforts. The tech improvement that I really prefer is the clip less pedals as I never really enjoy the extra effort to kick into the straps and stay in the straps. I really dont mind the down tube shifting including friction or indexed. The Campy SR shifting works very well. The Guerciotti has nice tubulars and with the SLX frame, this ride really has a nice feel for the road. The TI and Carbon are lighter setups and as such really make the climbing efforts and acceleration easier and quicker.

Plan worked out very well, a success. Really enjoyed each switchover and the chance to refuel and relax. Was a cool day in the 60s and the winds provided some extra training especially when heads into my climbs.

Last edited by joesch; 03-23-21 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add pix
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-23-21, 11:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch

Plan to share the love between my four CA road bikes for a CNote(M) or metric century.

The diversity is Columbus SL, SLX, TI, and carbon frames. Also old school vs newer tech brifters and carbon wheels.

Also wanted to get in some training using full Eroica bike which was my Colnago Super with strapped pedals (Shimano PD-7100) which I find more comfortable than the Campy SR that should be on that setup. They have nice flat platforms. The hills in my Temecula area are good for this plan and I can make my garage the departure / return point for each segment (4).

Rode Colnago Super 1985 (SL), Guerciotti Super Corsa circa 1979 (SLX), custom Litespeed by Douglass TI, and Cervelo carbon bikes yesterday to ride my new age (BD) day miles CNote(M) or metric century. Was fun to share the love and compare the riding efforts. The tech improvement that I really prefer is the clip less pedals as I never really enjoy the extra effort to kick into the straps and stay in the straps. I really dont mind the down tube shifting including friction or indexed. The Campy SR shifting works very well. The Guerciotti has nice tubulars and with the SLX frame, this ride really has a nice feel for the road. The TI and Carbon are lighter setups and as such really make the climbing efforts and acceleration easier and quicker.

Plan worked out very well, a success. Really enjoyed each switchover and the chance to refuel and relax. Was a cool day in the 60s and the winds provided some extra training especially when heads into my climbs.
nice collection. not to body shame any of the others but that litespeed is fire.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-23-21, 12:21 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Okay, I admit I have looked for about 20 minutes for blue camo bar tape that matches that Colnago w/o success.
What gives? Lizard Skin has a blue camo for bats that comes close.
Old 03-23-21, 01:11 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I like the Record / Dura-Ace combo on the Litespeed. That's one of the few Shimano cranksets that I like the look of.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 03-23-21, 01:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
That's not diversity -- I see the same water bottle on all four bikes.
Old 03-23-21, 01:30 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Okay, I admit I have looked for about 20 minutes for blue camo bar tape that matches that Colnago w/o success.
What gives? Lizard Skin has a blue camo for bats that comes close.
Lizard Skin is nice but 4x the cost of this stuff which holds up very well, see Amazon:

Bike Handlebar Tapes,Bike Tape,Road Bike Grip Tape,Road Bicycle Bike Bar Wraps,Bicycle Bar Tape EVA Camouflage Series,Leather Bike Bar Tape Series with Bar End Plugs 2 Rolls (Camouflage Blue & White)

Likes For joesch:
Old 03-23-21, 01:32 PM
joesch

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's not diversity -- I see the same water bottle on all four bikes.
Actually the SS cages are all diff, blackburn on the Gucci, Arundel on the TI, and Kings on the Colnago. There is also that carbon cage on the Cervelo that is mostly decoration as I dont trust it like the steel cages.
Old 03-23-21, 01:34 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I'd ride all of that.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-23-21, 01:34 PM
joesch

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
I like the Record / Dura-Ace combo on the Litespeed. That's one of the few Shimano cranksets that I like the look of.
Agree, I actually swapped a carbon crank to that DA.
Old 03-23-21, 10:14 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I'm jealous