Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Newest of newbies looking for route

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 05:00 PM
Pegasus70

Bikes: Trek FX S4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It has been decades since I did bike tour. As I approach retirement, I finally have the time to invest in getting back into the world on my bike. I have been riding to work for years so it isn't like I haven't been riding. What I haven't been doing is miles. My daily commute varies from five miles each way to 13 miles each way depending on which work location I am heading to that day. I am not ready to start doing centuries, and may ever be.
So with that premise, I need a route suggestion for a very new newbie that meets as many of the following points as possible.
1. I am looking for a four to five day ride
2. I would like to keep the daily mileage under fifty miles, and maybe well less than that for a first time out in over 45 years.
3. Preferably a loop or out and back route. Figuring out how to get from the end back to my car is a problem I would like to avoid if at all possible. Not something to deal with the first time out anyway.
4. Within a day's drive of coastal South Carolina but not along that coast. Coastal South Carolina roads are the absolute worst for cycling. No shoulders. High speed cars. Safety nightmares. Let me get my confidence up before taking on that issue.
5. Relatively flat. Hills are not something one finds in my neck of the woods. Not ready to start climbing the Blue Ridge Parkway... yet.. although it is a long term goal to ride it end to end.
6. OK, here is the "are you kidding me?" part. I like motels, hotels etc. I don't want any more misery my first time out than is absolutely necessary. Why not be comfortable, get a good night's sleep, and enjoy the free breakfast buffet if they have one? I am fortunate enough that I can afford to stay comfortably.
Old 03-24-21, 05:30 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
It might be stretching your parameters but potentially some of the Natchez Trace comes to mind, e.g. say from Nashville TN to Jackson, MS or perhaps Tupelo.
Here is how this things stack up:
> Four or five day ride
Going all the way to Jackson (368 miles) would be longer than 4-5 days to keep mileage down. Tupelo is closer (~200 miles).

> Daily mileage under 50 miles
Enough places to stay but otherwise ok.

> Loop or out and back
Instead of doing an out-and-back, for the Natchez Trace one could rent a car on the other end and drive back to your car. I did the Natchez this way: flew to Nashville, cycled to Jackson, rented a car at Jackson airport to drive back to Nashville and flew out. I think Tupelo is large enough to have Enterprise or others who can rent a car one way, but I'm less sure.

> Within a day's drive of coastal South Carolina
It would be a long drive

> Relatively flat
Yes

> Motels and hotels
Should be enough along the way. There is a book "Bicycling the Natchez Trace" that gives further ideas.
Old 03-24-21, 06:30 PM
camcrobe

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Double, 1997 Jamis Quest rebuilt CoMo

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is New York too far to begin the loop driving up from SC?

If reasonable, you might consider the classic 4 or 5 day credit card (motel) tour around Lake Champlain. Relatively flat, beautiful scenery and many bike friendly options (between bridge and ferry crossings) to meet your daily milage goals

https://www.champlainbikeways.org/
Old 03-24-21, 06:32 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Do you have any Amtrak rail lines nearby that you could use? If so, see if the line allows bicycles, then if they do you could take that out for 100-200 miles and ride back. You could even use the first day to leave from your home and get to the station (or a hotel near it), then hop on the next day. I done that a number of times here in Southern California, taking the Pacific Surfliner to San Luis Obispo then bicycling back down the coast to the Los Angeles area for a nice 4-5 day trip. I've also taken the Coast Starlight up to San Francisco area and bicycled around there, then finished by taking the train back to Southern California.
Old 03-24-21, 08:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Look into doing all/part of the Great Allegheny Passage north from Cumberland, MD and back.assuming you can handle an unpaved rail-trail. The official website is great for planning stays.
Old 03-25-21, 07:47 AM
Pegasus70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Do you have any Amtrak rail lines nearby that you could use? If so, see if the line allows bicycles, then if they do you could take that out for 100-200 miles and ride back. You could even use the first day to leave from your home and get to the station (or a hotel near it), then hop on the next day. I done that a number of times here in Southern California, taking the Pacific Surfliner to San Luis Obispo then bicycling back down the coast to the Los Angeles area for a nice 4-5 day trip. I've also taken the Coast Starlight up to San Francisco area and bicycled around there, then finished by taking the train back to Southern California.
It's a great idea. Unfortunately, I have looked into that. I am in Charleston. As best as I have been able to figure out, this is not a location where you can load a bike. Apparently that isn't available everywhere.
Old 03-25-21, 07:51 AM
Pegasus70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate that suggestion and thanks for responding. I found some Youtube videos of people cycling that route. Looks like a great route. Frankly, I had never heard of the Natchez Trace Parkway, so if not this trip, certainly a future one. I like your rent a car idea. I have thougth about that but haven't been able to ask anyone if it is practical. I could also rent a car here, drop it off in Nashville, ride to Tupelo, rent another car there and drive it back here. No need to worry about parking that way. In fact, that is another question, where do riders park for days at a time?
Old 03-25-21, 07:55 AM
Pegasus70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Look into doing all/part of the Great Allegheny Passage north from Cumberland, MD and back.assuming you can handle an unpaved rail-trail. The official website is great for planning stays.
That one is on my bucket list for sure. I have also been considering the C and O canal which could make a route from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. Lodging is a bit sketchy along that route and I don;t have a gravel bike, just a Trek "fitness" bike. I am not ready to go out and buy a new bike until I am sure I will use it regularly. Anyone know if either of those routes will work on my current ride?
Old 03-25-21, 07:58 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pegasus70
I don;t have a gravel bike, just a Trek "fitness" bike.
What is that?

Model would be useful.
Old 03-25-21, 07:58 AM
Pegasus70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camcrobe
Is New York too far to begin the loop driving up from SC?

If reasonable, you might consider the classic 4 or 5 day credit card (motel) tour around Lake Champlain. Relatively flat, beautiful scenery and many bike friendly options (between bridge and ferry crossings) to meet your daily mileage goals
A little too far. I have considered that route and plan it in the future if this first trip goes well. I have spent a lot of time in the Adirondacks so I am familiar with the area. it is truly gorgeous. Definitely on my list. I truly appreciate all of the suggestions. If not this ride, certainly rides to do in the future.
Old 03-25-21, 08:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Adventure Cycling Association (or ACA) sell maps.
https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...tlantic-coast/

I have never ridden east cost, so I do not know if this is a good idea or not, but maybe you might want to research it.
https://www.greenway.org/route-map

ACA has trips, some of which have indoor lodging. That said, we are still in a pandemic, so maybe wait for a year before you research it. They could take care of the planning, you just show up and the did the lodging reservations, etc.
https://www.adventurecycling.org/gui...-to-inn-tours/
Old 03-25-21, 04:37 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
GAP C&O from DC to Pittsburg checks all of your boxes Rail trail

Blue Ridge Parkway checks all boxes except it is not flat and has auto traffic.

Ohio to Erie trail Cincinnati to Cleveland rail trail

Natchez Trace Autos

Last edited by KPREN; 03-25-21 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 08:35 PM
Pegasus70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is that?

Model would be useful.
Indeed. I should have included that. Trek FX S4
Old 03-26-21, 01:42 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
One possibility is the Virginia Capital Trail, a paved rail-trail from Richmond to Williamsburg. It's only 52 miles long, so it wouldn't be long enough for 5 days out and back, but the trail's other attributes would work. It's a reasonable driving distance for you, it's a paved trail, the terrain is gentle, and there should be no problem finding accommodations. I haven't biked it yet myself.

https://www.virginiacapitaltrail.org/
Old 03-26-21, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Indeed. I should have included that. Trek FX S4
Looks totally fine for a credit card tour on the GAP with 32c tires.
Old 03-26-21, 03:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Looks totally fine for a credit card tour on the GAP with 32c tires.
Agreed. However, if OP wants to venture further east onto the C&O, it might be wise to restrict that extension to a dry season.
Old 03-26-21, 04:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Agreed. However, if OP wants to venture further east onto the C&O, it might be wise to restrict that extension to a dry season.
Agreed, from what I’ve read. I’ve only done the GAP.

OP: One nice logistical aspect about the start of the GAP is that there is free, long-term parking right near the start in Cumberland. There is also a bike-friendly hotel along a paved portion of the C&O, right near wear it meets the GAP. Stayed there on a Monday last September. It was less than $85 including tax, although I would expect it to be more this summer.
Old 03-26-21, 06:22 PM
Pegasus70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a new member of this forum, I have to thank all of the posters. Thus is clearly a dynamic and useful place to invest time. Seriously, you folks have been great responding to a newbie here. And such good ideas. I am leaning towards the suggested route in Virginia as an out and back route, maybe do some research and make a loop out of it on smaller roads. The GAP and C and O canal are on the list for the future as is the area around Lake Champlain. So is the Natchez Trace. Heck, I had never even heard of it until you folks mentioned it. Thanks again. Time to start planning! Always happy to hear other suggestions of course.
Old 03-26-21, 07:39 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Absolutely no suggestions of routes, but just wanted to add that yes, doing at least one shorter first day, like 50kms is always a good idea.
I would also strongly suggest doing some previous unloaded longer rides , gradually increasing distances and then adding panniers too, important so you will know how things feel, and to iron out any fit issues, comfort issues (sort out bike shorts, shoes etc) and also simply too know how it feels to bike up to 80kms, 50 miles.

And as for motels/ hotels"--- heck, who cares, enjoy and it certainly makes things easier (less weight to carry) as well as fast and easy arrival and departure.
Old 03-31-21, 12:54 PM
Kelly I

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
You are not alone in enjoying credit card touring. The older I get, the more I appreciate walking across carpet on my midnight bathroom run!

We have exclusively motel toured over the last decade. We pick our first night's lodging based on them allowing us to leave our vehicle for the duration. We also stay there the last night of our trip. I make note of the date/time/person's name and any other details about the parking. If we are in a tourist area or near an airport, there is sometimes a parking fee. Generally, starting in a smaller town that isn't a tourist location gets a better response. I've only been turned down a couple of times. I move on to the next motel and ask again. I've had good luck.

Other potential parking spots are police stations. I've successfully parked at two small town police stations while touring. I call in advance, in case my request has to be sent up the ladder.

Locally, we had more friends coming in to tour than we had parking spots to offer. I called the city manager and explained I had friends coming in who would be spending plenty of money in our little town at the beginning and end of our trip - where could they park for a week. They ended up with parking permits for the local city office complex.

Where there's a will, there's a way - unless you are in Aspen, CO - I did not have any luck there!
Old 04-02-21, 04:46 AM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
For the C&O and GAP options AMTRAK trains should be doable to and from Charleston, eliminating the car hassle. The Silver/Palmetto lines offer baggage car carrying of bikes (according to their website) to WASH DC. This curbside check-in is very convenient for fully assembled bikes. Then at DC the Capital Limited line runs along the C&O and onto Pittsburgh with carry-on bike service imto certain cars. The charge is $20 added to your seat price. Type in "bikes" on the search box to reach a separate page about bike accommodations, You have to start through the online booking process to get station and capacity availability for specific dates, I don't recall any soft surfaces on the GAP and have found the C&O easy with 32mm tires when dry. Enjoy your tour.
Old 04-02-21, 07:20 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
As a new member of this forum, I have to thank all of the posters. Thus is clearly a dynamic and useful place to invest time. Seriously, you folks have been great responding to a newbie here. And such good ideas. I am leaning towards the suggested route in Virginia as an out and back route, maybe do some research and make a loop out of it on smaller roads.
The Cap Trail parallels Virginia's Route 5 along the north side of the James River. Once you reach either end you could complete the loop by returning on Route 10, which is on the south side of the James. There'd be a little patchwork hooking up at each end but most motor traffic eschews Route 10 in favor of the nearby and faster U.S. 460.

Cap Trail in green at center.

You could also Google the Great Peanut Ride, an annual multiday ride in Virgiinia's South Side, and maybe incorporate some of that route into your own to stretch the distance, if needed.

Last edited by thumpism; 04-02-21 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 06:26 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
1. I am looking for a four to five day ride
2. I would like to keep the daily mileage under fifty miles, and maybe well less than that for a first time out in over 45 years.
3. Preferably a loop or out and back route. Figuring out how to get from the end back to my car is a problem I would like to avoid if at all possible. Not something to deal with the first time out anyway.
4. Within a day's drive of coastal South Carolina but not along that coast. Coastal South Carolina roads are the absolute worst for cycling. No shoulders. High speed cars. Safety nightmares. Let me get my confidence up before taking on that issue.
5. Relatively flat. Hills are not something one finds in my neck of the woods. Not ready to start climbing the Blue Ridge Parkway... yet.. although it is a long term goal to ride it end to end.
6. OK, here is the "are you kidding me?" part. I like motels, hotels etc. I don't want any more misery my first time out than is absolutely necessary. Why not be comfortable, get a good night's sleep, and enjoy the free breakfast buffet if they have one? I am fortunate enough that I can afford to stay comfortably.
I think the Delmarva region could fit your needs. Also know as the Eastern Shore of MD, VA and DE. I like biking there, flat, scenic and historic. Enough towns to grab a pint, little vehicle traffic, state camping here and there, ocean,rivers and bay views, pines, rural farmlands. You can easily make a loop around the region to suit your days/distance needs, w/in a day drive 8-10 hr drive, flat, hotels and small town are all over. Here are few of the sites one can see:

Harriet Tubman museum and Freedom trail (mural!!)
Blackwater Wildlife Refuge (birders haven)
Assateague Island
Pocomoke River
Chincoteague
Prime Hook Wildlife refuge
Cape Henlopen
Trap Pond
Tuckahoe State PArk
BombayWildlife Refuge
Old 04-02-21, 08:53 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
I think the Delmarva region could fit your needs. Also know as the Eastern Shore of MD, VA and DE. I like biking there, flat, scenic and historic. Enough towns to grab a pint, little vehicle traffic, state camping here and there, ocean,rivers and bay views, pines, rural farmlands. You can easily make a loop around the region to suit your days/distance needs, w/in a day drive 8-10 hr drive, flat, hotels and small town are all over. Here are few of the sites one can see:

Harriet Tubman museum and Freedom trail (mural!!)
Blackwater Wildlife Refuge (birders haven)
Assateague Island
Pocomoke River
Chincoteague
Prime Hook Wildlife refuge
Cape Henlopen
Trap Pond
Tuckahoe State PArk
BombayWildlife Refuge
Ooooo, don't forget the Delmarva Chicken Festival in Onacock.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-03-21, 07:54 AM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Ooooo, don't forget the Delmarva Chicken Festival in Onacock.
Let's get the full Biblical resonance in there: that would be Onancock, Va.

Onancock is quite near Crisfield, where one can take a ferry to Tangier Island and then another ferry onwards to the the Virginia mainland, ending up fairly near the Williamsburg-Richmond trail mentioned above.

Heading north in DelMarVa, you can take a ferry across to Cape May, New Jersey, ride up the Jersey shore to Sandy Hook, and take another ferry to NYC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.