Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bertoni Pro Victory - My first Italian build <3

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 06:28 PM
loudbay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts

It rides all right...

Likes For loudbay:
Old 04-30-21, 10:45 AM
loudbay

On the way home from taking these pics... A no brake, flat pedal, no clips, fixed gear rider swerved around a pedestrian and crashed into me head on. The Bertoni had been done for 16 hours and it was my first ride. WOW. Tape is gone, new chip on the fork, gouge on the brake lever and scrape on the brake hood, rode home after a road side front wheel truing. No other perceptible damage. I have a fat cut above my eye, broken sunglasses, and took the handlebars fully to my left ribs. No real dep bruising yet, but they don't feel right on deep breaths. Worst part is he was wearing a cycling cap without a helmet. Gross.
Likes For loudbay:
Old 04-30-21, 10:57 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by loudbay
On the way home from taking these pics... A no brake, flat pedal, no clips, fixed gear rider swerved around a pedestrian and crashed into me head on. The Bertoni had been done for 16 hours and it was my first ride. WOW. Tape is gone, new chip on the fork, gouge on the brake lever and scrape on the brake hood, rode home after a road side front wheel truing. No other perceptible damage. I have a fat cut above my eye, broken sunglasses, and took the handlebars fully to my left ribs. No real dep bruising yet, but they don't feel right on deep breaths. Worst part is he was wearing a cycling cap without a helmet. Gross.

Well, that blows. Get those ribs checked out, and stay safe out there.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 04-30-21, 10:57 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Ugh, terrible news. Glad you got away with minor injuries, but keep tabs on anything weird going on with your noggin, since it sounds like a solid whack. I hope that other guy learned a lesson and will ride more safely from now on.

I ogled this frame when it was on the sales forum, and I like your build. Be well.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 04-30-21, 10:59 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
That sucks, hope you're ok. I would encourage you to get checked out.

Report, witness, etc?

Here in Oregon, homeowners or auto uninsured motorist would pay for this.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-30-21, 11:06 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
As a fixie rider, I can't believe he didn't have foot retention or brakes... Glad you seem to be okay.
Likes For romperrr:
Old 04-30-21, 11:44 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Ugh, terrible news. Glad you got away with minor injuries, but keep tabs on anything weird going on with your noggin, since it sounds like a solid whack. I hope that other guy learned a lesson and will ride more safely from now on.
Don't bet on it.

Originally Posted by noobinsf 22038421
I ogled this frame when it was on the sales forum, and I like your build. Be well.
I agree, it's a fine build.

Make sure you're okay, @loudbay, make sure the Bertoni is okay, and when you both pass inspection, go ride the heck out of it.
Old 04-30-21, 12:19 PM
loudbay

I appreciate you guys! I have a call out to auto insurance to see if uninsured will cover a check up. Keeping a close eye on everything and not self medicating beyond ibu to mask any symptoms. Bike seems ok, and I think my head is fine, which of course, I have only one of. Ribs? PLENTY.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-30-21, 01:36 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
I appreciate you guys! I have a call out to auto insurance to see if uninsured will cover a check up. Keeping a close eye on everything and not self medicating beyond ibu to mask any symptoms. Bike seems ok, and I think my head is fine, which of course, I have only one of. Ribs? PLENTY.

Cheers,
Matt
Oh man, that's terrible anytime and on the first ride too... Sorry to read this, hope you heal up quick and hope the bikes OK too!
Old 04-30-21, 02:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
[QUOTE=bikingshearer;22038507]Don't bet on it.

No doubt, already a pompous azz, no brakes or clips, riding too fast on a MUP.
Old 04-30-21, 03:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Worst part is he was wearing a cycling cap without a helmet. Gross.
Sounds like me, except I ride a Bertoni.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...a-bertoni.html
Old 04-30-21, 09:10 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Sounds like me, except I ride a Bertoni.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...a-bertoni.html

I think you get a pass.
Old 05-01-21, 04:31 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Take care of yourself and then your bike. An incident like that happens so fast and sometimes we don’t really know how bad we are hurt. Ibuprofen is amazing stuff for pain. I don’t take it very often but when I need it , it works.
oh! Nice build by the way.