Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Crystal Lake, Illinois

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-21, 08:13 PM
balt
‘96 Little 5

Bikes: Ribble Eliminator, Specialized FatBoy, Cannondale Quick Cx, Schwinn Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Howdy! Cycling is currently my #1 hobby (in the recent past it's been geocaching, trail running, and pinball). I had a nasty spill in early March that resulted in a split helmet and a trip to the ER for a brain bleed. I've been off all bikes for two months now and finally have my doctor's permission to ride again beginning this week. I've been enjoying a new job in Chicago that allows me to leave my car at home and commute by train. Over the last couple weeks I've been reconditioning a simple Schwinn Racer to use as my ride to the train station. It reminds me of my old Little 500 Roadmaster bike with a single speed and coaster brake. I've been poking around on the single speed subforum for ideas and to admire the high end stuff that I would never leave unattended at a bike rack. The other bikes in my garage are a Cannondale Quick Cx that I use on pavement, and a Specialized FatBoy that I use off road. They both serve me well, and I have a blast on them when they aren't putting me in the hospital. Looking to the future, I have my eye on a Canyon Roadlite 7 for Christmas and I'd love to take a spin on a bike with a belt drive. Chicago has an charity called Working Bikes that sends refurbished bikes overseas. I'm planning to volunteer there this summer to improve my mechanic skills and be surrounded by bikes. Cheers!
Old 05-02-21, 08:28 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Welcome! Although it has been a few years, I've ridden a couple of times in the Crystal Lake area. And the fish tacos at Taqueria Las Cumbres are awesome!

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-02-21, 09:11 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Welcome! I grew up in CL. Still head out there on occasion. Wish they would have had the bike trail when I was growing up.

Rode from Oak Park to my dad's place in CL on the trail.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 05-03-21, 01:00 PM
balt
‘96 Little 5

Bikes: Ribble Eliminator, Specialized FatBoy, Cannondale Quick Cx, Schwinn Racer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Welcome! Although it has been a few years, I've ridden a couple of times in the Crystal Lake area. And the fish tacos at Taqueria Las Cumbres are awesome!
I kid you not, we ate dinner from Las Cumbres last night. I will add the fish tacos to my to-do list. Funny, "cumbres" means mountaintops of which there are none anywhere near Crystal Lake.
Likes For balt:
Old 05-03-21, 01:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
I looked at their FB page. It was 7 years ago.

Old 05-03-21, 02:18 PM
balt
‘96 Little 5

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Welcome! I grew up in CL. Still head out there on occasion. Wish they would have had the bike trail when I was growing up.

Rode from Oak Park to my dad's place in CL on the trail.
Google tells me that is around a 4.5 hour trip, nice one! I've ridden the Prairie Trail to Wisconsin many times but I rarely go south. I once did an early morning out-and-back to St. Charles in July. The heat was memorable, so were the portions of the trail that were washed out.
Likes For balt: