Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Heavy Rider Needs Advice

Old 05-05-21, 10:13 AM
ImDuane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Heavy Rider Needs Advice

Hi all,

TLDR: Will the Mongoose Envoy support 400 pounds?

First time poster.

I'm hoping that you'll be able to help me. I'm between 375 and 400 pounds, depending on if I just ate at Golden Corral or not. Hahaha. Here's a tip when you go to Golden Corral skip the plates go for one of those big trays they hold four times more food. All right enough nonsense.

When I look around on the Internet and search articles like these: best bikes for 400 pound people. Mongoose bicycles always come up in the list, the fat tire ones. I contacted Mongoose and they said that they test their bicycles with 250 lb. In accordance with this website www.cpsc.gov. So, is Mongoose a good bike for heavy people? I'm looking at this particular bicycle the Mongoose envoy.
I'm also looking at this bike, the Yuba Kombi. The problem is this bike is a little more than I wanted to spend. But is rated at 440 pounds

I do realize that safety comes first. I don't want a bicycle where the wheel is gonna fold over on me when I hit a bump or something. So, if I have to spend that extra money I guess I will.

Thank you all.

Last edited by ImDuane; 05-05-21 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 11:20 AM
4130NewJersey
Party Pace!!!

Bikes: All City Space Horse GRX, Specialized Fuse Expert, Raleigh Clubman, Fairdale Parser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Ever think about a Worksman bike? Their industrial models are designed to stand up to some real abuse.
Old 05-05-21, 11:58 AM
ImDuane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4130NewJersey
Ever think about a Worksman bike? Their industrial models are designed to stand up to some real abuse.
It's funny you would say that. I just found this a few minutes ago.
Worksman Personal Activity STRETCH Low Rider - PALR-3CB-STR
I'm 6'4"
Likes For ImDuane:
Old 05-05-21, 12:03 PM
4130NewJersey
Party Pace!!!

Bikes: All City Space Horse GRX, Specialized Fuse Expert, Raleigh Clubman, Fairdale Parser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I've ridden a few of their bikes and they're bombproof!
Old 05-05-21, 12:33 PM
ImDuane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't want to spend that much money. Thats why I was asking about the Envoy
Old 06-30-21, 08:31 PM
tdipail

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
Did you buy the Envoy?
Old 07-01-21, 07:31 AM
ImDuane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdipail
Did you buy the Envoy?
Noo one ever answered my question. So, no I didn't.
Old 07-16-21, 10:16 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
If you find anything rated to hold up to your weight thats your only option really.
Old 07-16-21, 11:09 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ImDuane
Can you afford a Surly Bridge Club or Surly Troll(if you can find one)?
Old 07-17-21, 02:08 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Can you afford a Surly Bridge Club or Surly Troll(if you can find one)?
I would get a steel bike with a good, greatest of wheels. I like Surly, I have had a Karate Monkey for 9 years and I was an aggressive rider. I weighed 270 at that time, 290 now shamefully but it has held up well. I just built some wheels for my road bike and they are Velocity Atlas36 spoke. The other wheels I just built are for my mountain bike, Velocity Blunt 35 32 spoke. I recommend DT Swiss rear hub but not sure if it can come in 48 spoke.

Contact Velocity and see if you can get a set of 48 spoke wheels.https://www.velocityusa.com/product/...ons/clydesdale

No I don't work for them but they are an American company.

A 26" wheel set would be strong. There are people that ride tandems and are near your weight.

It can be pricey but it would be worth it.

Good luck
Likes For wvridgerider:
Old 07-20-21, 09:56 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Seriously? No one can answer your question. But if you search for "Mongoose Envoy" you will find that I have one. But I don't weigh 400lbs. The BIKE and the wheels can more than deal with that kind of weight. So can any other load bike. It's the components like saddles, seatposts, handlebars and stems that might not be rated for a Clyde rider. I drop in here from time to time and it always seems to me that the focus here is on racing bikes and maybe hybrids i.e. the last bikes on earth huge guys weighing over 350lbs should want to ride, but there you are. Humans roll like that. You have, at least, given yourself a fighting chance by choosing a bike designed to move heavy loads. Why the hesitation? Buy the damn bike. If you can find one! I had to wait for someone to return theirs before I snapped mine up.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-20-21, 10:47 AM
ImDuane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Seriously? I'm dead serious. Read the post, I asked if the Envoy would support 400 pounds. Nobody answered that question. You say no one can answer the question but go on to say it can support that much weight. So, which is it?

"it always seems to me that the focus here is on racing bikes and maybe hybrids i.e. the last bikes on earth huge guys weighing over 350lbs should want to ride, but there you are."

I realized my mistake posting here months ago. Thank you for pointing that out
Old 07-20-21, 12:10 PM
ImDuane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Leisesturm tells me this place is mainly for “racing bikes and maybe hybrids.” It’s my mistake for not going to a forum for heavy riders. Oh, wait a minute. There is a Clydesdale forum here and I posted in it. It’s not the biggest forum here but has 389,000+ posts.

Leisesturm also said, “The BIKE and the wheels can more than deal with that kind of weight. So can any other load bike. It's the components like saddles, seatposts, handlebars and stems that might not be rated for a Clyde rider.” Leisesturm can’t be the only person in this forum to know this. Why didn’t someone else take two minutes and say something similar to that back in May when I made this post? Nobody wanted to take the time to write a few sentences and help me?

I’ve asked all kinds of questions on ****** for a long time. People their bend over backwards to help me. I’ll ask my bike questions there from now on. I also know that nobody cares one way or another if I no longer post here. Which isn’t surprising at all.
Old 07-20-21, 03:44 PM
Leisesturm

What I actually said was: when I am here (which is not often) the discussions are always about racing bicycles and hybrids. "but, there you are", is a figure of speech. It essentially is a verbal shrug. It doesn't mean anything else. The reason I said "no one can answer your question" is because, as you found out when you called Pacific Cycles, they are not going to make themselves liable for a lawsuit by telling you it is ok to go on one of their bikes weighing 400lbs. If Pacific Bicycles with all their insurance and wealth aren't willing, what do you expect me to do? I didn't think an adult had to be led by the nose to their solution. Neither does anyone else. You're obviously having a bad day today. You'll want to delete that last post tomorrow when you realize how ****** it made you look. Unfortunately the delete window will have timed out. You are forever stuck with the fallout from your rash actions.

Mongoose Envoy's are kind of a well kept secret. Not many know about them. They know much more about Worksman and Surly. But you don't want to spend that much. I get that. Neither did I. So I did my own research. You can too. You can research saddles that can hold 400lbs. I would at least try the stock saddle until it fails, if it fails. You've got to be prepared to take some risks. I mean ... you know and I know that the bottom line truth is that you should probably lose 100 before you start riding around, not because the bike might break but because you might fall and break. It is more likely that you might go down for any number of reasons like anyone else riding a bike might go down but the resulting impact will be more severe in your case.

No one is going to say that because no one knows how much riding you do now and you just might be so skilled a cyclist that a fall will be rare.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-20-21, 04:27 PM
ImDuane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I quoted what you said. If you actually meant something else, how am I to know. Select your words more carefully.

Leisesturm said, "I didn't think an adult had to be led by the nose to their solution. Neither does anyone else."

I don't know how to respond to such a ridiculous statement. This is a place for people to ask questions (or so I thought when I came here in May).

The more you talk the more you prove my point.

I stand by my last post.

These are the last words I will ever post here.

Old 07-20-21, 05:28 PM
Leisesturm

... but, there you are ... <shrug>
Old 07-20-21, 05:42 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Leisesturm tells me this place is mainly for “racing bikes and maybe hybrids.” It’s my mistake for not going to a forum for heavy riders. Oh, wait a minute. There is a Clydesdale forum here and I posted in it. It’s not the biggest forum here but has 389,000+ posts.

Leisesturm also said, “The BIKE and the wheels can more than deal with that kind of weight. So can any other load bike. It's the components like saddles, seatposts, handlebars and stems that might not be rated for a Clyde rider.” Leisesturm can’t be the only person in this forum to know this. Why didn’t someone else take two minutes and say something similar to that back in May when I made this post? Nobody wanted to take the time to write a few sentences and help me?

I’ve asked all kinds of questions on ****** for a long time. People their bend over backwards to help me. I’ll ask my bike questions there from now on. I also know that nobody cares one way or another if I no longer post here. Which isn’t surprising at all.
Sorry, I missed the original post (and I get tired of posting the same thing over and over anyway) Anyway, trying to be helpful now its all in the wheels. I am in the 350# range and have been heavier and ride a Scott CR1-10 for a road bike and Jamis Renegade Expert for gravel. Neither of these bikes is rated for anywhere near my weight, but with proper, quality wheels, they are both fine. Even the Scott which will barely fit a 25mm tire. I have at least 10k miles on that one and 2k on the gravel bike.

Getting good wheels is a bit of a challenge, and not super cheap unfortunately. Oddly enough, I had a set of 36 spoke Vuelta HD on the road bike for 4 years and they were cheap. I got them as a stop gap while I waited for Velocity to build a new wheel for me and they went 4 years before going slightly out of true (which probably could be fixed)

Anyway, Velocity has 40 spoke stuff for most fitments now and I have been happy with them on both bikes.

I don't want to do a blanket statement, but if my Scott, which is really a former race frame carbon design, can handle my weight, I can't imagine any issue with any other frame.

All that said, you will never find any components rated for our weight. Well, maybe the Velocity wheels say 300+. But in general, we are so far outside the cycling norm that most people not our size can't comprehend.

Hope this helps,

DaveW
Old 07-21-21, 08:35 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Ugh... Golden Corral... I've read way too many horror stories to ever want to eat at one again.