Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New (to me) Schwinn Prelude

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 02:02 AM
ChrisN83

Bikes: 1989 schwinn prelude, trek gritty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I was once a very avid cyclist road/mountain, however life got in the way and it stopped. I ended up selling my bikes because I wasnt using them, I kept one....a single speed to boot around on. Haven't really rode at all in the last 5-6 years. However lately I've been wanting to ride again for exercise and to get into better shape. I've recently really taken a liking to the "older" road bikes, love the frames. So I found what I believe is a 1989 schwinn prelude (in quite good shape) on kijiji for 250 cad, the 4 small numbers on the badge are 0389 which I believe is when it was produced....which puts it in as Feb of 89? I plan to give it a good tune up, probably some red bar tape and get out on it. Apparently I cant add pics yet because this is my first post, its blue, red
white, suntour components I believe it was mid range.
Old 05-24-21, 03:33 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Picture Assistance

Originally Posted by ChrisN83
.... Apparently I cant add pics yet because this is my first post,....
....but I can.

Welcome to the machine...

OP's Album.

(Interesting photograph.)

Last edited by machinist42; 05-24-21 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Critical commentary.
Likes For machinist42:
Old 05-24-21, 06:47 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Welcome!

That's a nice looking Schwinn! New bar taped needed, for sure

Last year, I found an 87 Prelude in the trash. I was impressed with how nice the frame was. Looks like they put better components on for 1989. Post more pics when you get it all squared away.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 05-24-21, 07:47 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Nice bike, @ChrisN83. Check out this Schwinn thread. Lots of great bikes from Schwinn in that era. Enjoy that beauty.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 05-24-21, 08:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
ooh, you got the Murica Edition!
Old 05-24-21, 10:30 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Dancing With My Self

I'm going to make the assumption the OP wants to know about their Schwinn Prelude's tubeset, as they posted this picture to their Gallery.

As my 1987 Schwinn Super Sport also sported Tenax tubing I've done a bit of research.
Although the catalog clearly states:
"A special blend of Columbus SL/SP tubing, and aero fork and stays make the circuit ideal for high level competition. The Super Sport's indexed shifting and aerodynamic components give the tri-athlete that added advantage. Performance designed Schwinn clothing makes riding more comfortable and efficient. Add a cycling computer to monitor your training and you'll become more than a force to reckon with, you'll be the force to follow.

Columbus Tenax double butted frame tubing..." I believe the catalog may be in error, as Scooper in this post from the past in this thread notes:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by zazenzach View Post
well looks like i commented too soon. i ended up tracking down your comment here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-of-1987/page2

it seems like we may never really know what exactly tenax was.
We do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-mail exchange between Scooper and Columbus Tubi
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Stan Cooper
Inviato: marted́ 4 marzo 2014 07:32
A: info@columbustubi.com
Oggetto: Information Regarding Columbus "Tenax" Tubing Used By Schwinn Bicycle Co., USA, circa 1985-1992

Dear folks at Columbus Tubi,

If possible, I would like to obtain information about Columbus tubing labeled "Tenax", and used by Schwinn Bicycle Company from the mid 1980s through the early 1990s.

While tubing descriptions and specifications are widely available for most Columbus tube sets, information about the Tenax tubing used by Schwinn is mysteriously absent.

Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.

Sincerely yours,

Stan Cooper
San Francisco, California

-----Message Reply-----
Date: March 5, 2014 12:07am
To: Stan Cooper
Subject: Information Regarding Columbus "Tenax" Tubing Used By Schwinn Bicycle Co., USA, circa 1985-1992

Dear Stan,
The Tenax was the tube-set made during the middle '80, those were actually the 3 main tubes, made like the cromor tubes in seamed 25CrMo4, and double butted.

Good result in term of stiffness but was not one of the light tubeset line.

Thanks and best regards,
Andrea
COLUMBUS
Between the description of Tenax as Cromor on the Nova website and this definitive reply from Columbus, it's pretty clear "Tenax" is 25 CrMo 4 seamed, double-butted chromoly similar to Cromor for the three main frame tubes. Because of the 26.6mm seatposts used on Tenax frames, it's also a pretty good guess that the seat tube is straight gauge with 0.9mm walls.

(“Everybody knows, when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption.” (The Long Kiss Goodnight, 1996))
Old 05-24-21, 10:50 AM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Welcome ChrisN83,
I have a 1987 Prelude with non-original components that I love to ride. At my age the relaxed geometry works well for me. Once you get to the ten posts milestone, post your bike in the https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bike-here.html thread.

Last edited by tyler_fred; 05-26-21 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For tyler_fred: