Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc Brake Issue

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc Brake Issue

Old 05-28-21, 10:49 AM
LS05

Bikes: 2004 Cannondale CAAD5 R700 and a 2005 Litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc Brake Issue

I have a a Trek Checkpoint ALR5. It is equipped w/hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano 105 to be exact.
My problem occurs when riding, I spot an unavoidable bump or pothole and I apply the brakes, There is a rather violent vibration in the front brake after hitting the bump/pothole. It's as if the front brake is braking and immediately fading. The vibration continues until i release the front brake. When I engage the front brake again, on smooth road, front braking is normal. I do not have the same problem w/the rear brake.
I am a large rider. I'm 6'4", weighing 200 lbs. I've read that cycling disc brakes are susceptible to fade for large riders, but haven't come across anything like what I'm experiencing. My LBS has checked the front end integrity of the bike with no negative results.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 05-28-21, 11:12 AM
base2 
Random Internet Person.

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 277 Posts
The go-to answer for brake hysteresis issues is a glazed or inconsistant spot on the rotor. You may try to scrub the rotor with aluminum oxide sandpaper. A few hundred grit ought to be enough to knock off the contaminants that have glued themselves on.

Another answer is the rotor itself may have worn inconsistantly due to the various cut-outs providing differing surface contact areas. The least surface area parts (either side of the hole in the braking surface) would have worn more than the areas that contact the whole pad. In this case a new rotor (& maybe even pads) would be well worth looking in to.

A good measurement of rotor thickness would tell you a lot.

As a heavier & "confident" rider (200lb) that tends to push things, I'd like to suggest scintered/metallic brake pads. They may be a bit noisier in certain circumstances, but they do tolerate higher heat loads much better than the organic resin type. They also tend to be more fade resistant & tend to not deposit themselves on to the rotor so much.

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Old 05-28-21, 11:26 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 89 Posts
Also check headset adjustment.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 05-28-21, 12:27 PM
LS05

Bikes: 2004 Cannondale CAAD5 R700 and a 2005 Litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both...Will ask my wrench to address your suggestions.
Old 05-28-21, 06:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
The go-to answer for brake hysteresis issues is a glazed or inconsistant spot
Agree. How is this hysteresis, though?
Old 05-28-21, 07:18 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by LS05 View Post
I have a a Trek Checkpoint ALR5. It is equipped w/hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano 105 to be exact.
My problem occurs when riding, I spot an unavoidable bump or pothole and I apply the brakes, There is a rather violent vibration in the front brake after hitting the bump/pothole. It's as if the front brake is braking and immediately fading. The vibration continues until i release the front brake. When I engage the front brake again, on smooth road, front braking is normal. I do not have the same problem w/the rear brake.
I am a large rider. I'm 6'4", weighing 200 lbs. I've read that cycling disc brakes are susceptible to fade for large riders, but haven't come across anything like what I'm experiencing. My LBS has checked the front end integrity of the bike with no negative results.
Thank you
I hope you're not actually holding the brake yet when the wheel makes hard contact with the bottom of the pot hole or opposite lip of the pot hole. You should be braking hard upon reflex when you first see the obstacle or pot hole and then in the split second before solid contact with the obstacle release the brake so the tire can roll over or through said obstacle. The way everything goes back to normal after your incident makes me think its got to do with the headset, but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-28-21, 08:27 PM
base2 
Random Internet Person.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Agree. How is this hysteresis, though?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis
Specificly, it is elastic hysteresis. It's under the "In mechanics" heading. The gist of it is the current state has a direct relationship to the previous state & a feedback loop of some sort is formed. Most people tend to associate it with magnetism or electronics, but the principal is found in many systems. This one example being the friction/force acting on the rotor at a given moment vs the elasticity of the fork. The area in between the curves being the sum of the change of velocity of bike, the bike rider, & some nominal heat gain in the rotor, pads, & elsewhere in the system.

Last edited by base2; 05-28-21 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-29-21, 05:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,850 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis
Specificly, it is elastic hysteresis. It's under the "In mechanics" heading. The gist of it is the current state has a direct relationship to the previous state & a feedback loop of some sort is formed. Most people tend to associate it with magnetism or electronics, but the principal is found in many systems. This one example being the friction/force acting on the rotor at a given moment vs the elasticity of the fork. The area in between the curves being the sum of the change of velocity of bike, the bike rider, & some nominal heat gain in the rotor, pads, & elsewhere in the system.
Thanks. I deal with hysteresis in neurophysiological systems from time to time, but never thought of it as an amplifier of fork vibration.
Old 05-29-21, 06:52 AM
base2 
Random Internet Person.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Thanks. I deal with hysteresis in neurophysiological systems from time to time, but never thought of it as an amplifier of fork vibration.

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Old 05-29-21, 03:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by LS05 View Post
Thank you
I'm not sure why you think this vibration is related to brake fade? Brake fade is a loss of braking power due to the build up of excessive heat. Braking for a pot-hole is not going to cause brake fade!

It would also help to know what is actually vibrating? Is it the brake rotor itself or the bike forks? Obviously if something is slightly loose (caliper, rotor, headset, wheel hub etc) that could cause vibration under braking. But you can also get vibration from one of the components resonating. For example I had an old mtb that used to suffer from a really bad rear frame vibration under heavy braking. It was simply down to the resonant frequency of the chainstays, along with worn suspension pivot bearings. Fitted new pivot bearings and the vibration magically disappeared.

The fact that you don't have this problem on smooth roads does point toward something being loose or worn with play. Loose/worn headset would be my first guess. Play in your front wheel hub second. Probably also worth tossing in a new set of front brake pads to see if that makes any difference. Make sure the rotor is clean, running true and not glazed too.
Old 05-31-21, 06:42 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 143 Posts
Seems to me it’s likely fork flex. Bigger rider, hard braking, flex in the fork will result in some flex that will be sort of a stuttering that’s consistent with what the OP describes.

Take away, try to brake more smoothly,and if you get some stuttering with hard braking don’t worry about it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-31-21, 07:53 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 241 Posts
I hope you don't mind if I borrow your slogan (My lights are obscenely bright because drivers are dim.) I seem to find myself in need of it. I'll return it when I'm done with it, thanks,
Old 06-02-21, 07:53 AM
base2 
Random Internet Person.

Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
I hope you don't mind if I borrow your slogan (My lights are obscenely bright because drivers are dim.) I seem to find myself in need of it. I'll return it when I'm done with it, thanks,
Anytime. If I need it back I'll know where to go.

Likes For base2: