Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

vintage trek 800 rebuild

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

vintage trek 800 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21, 06:10 PM
Sean21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vintage trek 800 rebuild

I replaced my chain and now it won't go down the gears, is this indicative of worn chainring and rear free wheel?
Old 05-30-21, 06:30 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
What do you mean by "go down the gears?" Did it used to "go down the gears" before you replaced the chain?
Old 06-02-21, 09:43 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Generally the lateral movement (shifting) of the chain is not greatly affected by replacing the chain. SHifting might be a little faster or slower, but if you could get to all gears with the old chain, you should be able to get to all gears with the new chain. If the chain isn't able to move across all gears the problem is likely with derailleur adjustment. You'd have to give more details about what exactly is or isn't happening with your shifting for anyone to give a helpful answer.

The indicator that your cogs or chainrings are worn is that the new chain skips under load - sometimes violently. If you can pedal at full strength in each gear without the new chain skipping then the cogs and chainrings are not overly worn.
Old 06-02-21, 09:47 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Did you route the chain correctly through the RDER?
Look at another bike to compare.
Old 06-02-21, 11:43 AM
Sean21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was having problems shifting from larger cogs to smaller cogs on my 21 speed freewheel and chainring while under load. I've changed the chain, bb and cables and housing. The shifting is nice going from small cogs to larger cogs, the problem is coming back down they seem to be sticking, not smoothly shifting back to smaller cogs. If I take tension off by the barely adjuster, it doesn't improve and just messes up how smoothly the shift is from small to large. This is without pressure and is basically the same problem I was having before. Because shifts good from small to big I assumed might be worn cogs? Having same problem in the front. I mistakenly put 118mm bb, should be 115, could this be an issue? I would think either worn gears, bad DR'S, not attaching correctly at pinch bolt, or STI shifters or not working well with altus DR'S, STI's are not original.
the chain appears to be routed correctly. Pedals ok in gear.
I
Old 06-02-21, 11:54 AM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Sounds like it shifts fine when you're pulling the cable (shifting from smaller to bigger), but not when the derailleur is returning, which means that perhaps the derailleur return spring has lost its tension or there is gum in the works somewhere. Most often this is caused by friction in the cable/housing, especially if they have not been replaced recently. Try removing the chain and unfastening the derailleur cables to see if the derailleurs return to where they should without anything holding them back. If they do, you have friction in cables/housing and they should be replaced. If they don't return all the way to their 0 position, then try cleaning/flushing the derailleur mechanisms out with WD-40 or similar.
Old 06-02-21, 12:32 PM
Sean21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imakecircles
Sounds like it shifts fine when you're pulling the cable (shifting from smaller to bigger), but not when the derailleur is returning, which means that perhaps the derailleur return spring has lost its tension or there is gum in the works somewhere. Most often this is caused by friction in the cable/housing, especially if they have not been replaced recently. Try removing the chain and unfastening the derailleur cables to see if the derailleurs return to where they should without anything holding them back. If they do, you have friction in cables/housing and they should be replaced. If they don't return all the way to their 0 position, then try cleaning/flushing the derailleur mechanisms out with WD-40 or similar.
​​​​​​The cables and housing were replaced and the derailleurs and shifters have been cleaned.
Old 06-02-21, 12:55 PM
Sean21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imakecircles
​​​​​​When I shift to smaller gears there is immediate derailleur movement, It's just not smooth or quick, it's out of one cog, then for a moment it's on top of the cog then down.
Old 06-05-21, 06:31 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
That sounds like poor derailleur adjustment.