Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Giordana XL Strada vs Mondonico ride quality

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-21, 11:38 AM
EngrJack
EngrJack

Bikes: 1980 Trek 710, 1999 Trek 720 Multitrack, 2021 Trek Dual Sport 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hi Bicycle friends,

I’m interested in a couple of large frames for building a road bike. 59 & 60 cm seat posts. One is a Giordana XL Strada and the other is a Mondonico. I’ve never ridden either brand and my experience is limited to a 25.5” Trek 710, a Trek 720 Multitrack 24” frame, and a size XL Trek Dual Sport 2. They all ride very differently and the old ‘81 710 is my favorite for a fun ride quality.

Can any of you with experience in Italian made bikes, and specifically Giordana and Mondonico please give me your thoughts? I’m leaning toward buying the Giordana XL Strada and I’m aware that it was the plain Jane frame of the Giordana family. Would it ride differently than a XL Super? It has French EXCELL tubing and is lugged.

The Mondonico is also lugged and has Columbus Nemo tubing. Which bike would ride better with identical components?
Old 06-23-21, 12:33 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@EngrJack - I would be somewhat surprised if anyone could give you a definitive answer. Mine would be to buy both and find out. Then the one you don't prefer gets sold. Or..... you can start with N+2/!
I am not familiar with either but if the geometry is nearly alike then you might be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference without many K miles of riding.

When i think Italian, I think racing geometry, that is just me. That means nearly impossible spacing for fenders and very responsive steering or steep angles and more like your 710. You might be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 710 and the two under consideration. I might be all wet!
Old 06-23-21, 04:39 PM
EngrJack
EngrJack

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SJX426
@EngrJack - I would be somewhat surprised if anyone could give you a definitive answer. Mine would be to buy both and find out. Then the one you don't prefer gets sold. Or..... you can start with N+2/!
I am not familiar with either but if the geometry is nearly alike then you might be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference without many K miles of riding.

When i think Italian, I think racing geometry, that is just me. That means nearly impossible spacing for fenders and very responsive steering or steep angles and more like your 710. You might be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 710 and the two under consideration. I might be all wet!
Thanks SJX! Yes, the tight geometry of the Giordana will not allow normal fenders. RaceBlades will likely work. The Mondonico did have fender mount eyelets brazed on and they are a few inches above the axles. It has limited clearance for 23 mm compatible fenders. I’ve read comments in bike forums by a couple of Giordana owners who swear that the frames provide an exceptional ride. I’m very keyed into that, even though we know that opinions can be quite subjective and perhaps biased. The frame is NOS and I find it very appealing to the eye. In short, it’s like: “do you feel LUCKY??” Hahaha!!
Old 06-24-21, 08:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by EngrJack
Hi Bicycle friends,

I’m interested in a couple of large frames for building a road bike. 59 & 60 cm seat posts. One is a Giordana XL Strada and the other is a Mondonico. I’ve never ridden either brand and my experience is limited to a 25.5” Trek 710, a Trek 720 Multitrack 24” frame, and a size XL Trek Dual Sport 2. They all ride very differently and the old ‘81 710 is my favorite for a fun ride quality.

Can any of you with experience in Italian made bikes, and specifically Giordana and Mondonico please give me your thoughts? I’m leaning toward buying the Giordana XL Strada and I’m aware that it was the plain Jane frame of the Giordana family. Would it ride differently than a XL Super? It has French EXCELL tubing and is lugged.

The Mondonico is also lugged and has Columbus Nemo tubing. Which bike would ride better with identical components?
I have a Mondonico in Columbus ELOS tubing and it has a very smooth, efficient, resilient ride quality. I attribute that to the combination of thin-wall 7/4/7 Nivachrom tubing and the first-step over sized diameters (TT and ST are 28.6 mm and the DT is 31. whatever mm). the Nivachrom steel is a lot like 853, in that it has a lot more strength (resistance to fatique and other breakage) than SL or regular 531, so it is very durable with the thin walls.

I'm not too clear on Giordana frames. I also have a Mondonico in SL but some lighter gauge TT and DT, and its ride is great. Before the frame repair with the newer tubes, it felt stiff. Hot, but stiff.

The Nemo has a lot in common with the ELOS, so I would say it is probably the better/more comfortable ride.
Old 06-24-21, 11:00 AM
EngrJack
EngrJack

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I have a Mondonico in Columbus ELOS tubing and it has a very smooth, efficient, resilient ride quality. I attribute that to the combination of thin-wall 7/4/7 Nivachrom tubing and the first-step over sized diameters (TT and ST are 28.6 mm and the DT is 31. whatever mm). the Nivachrom steel is a lot like 853, in that it has a lot more strength (resistance to fatique and other breakage) than SL or regular 531, so it is very durable with the thin walls.

I'm not too clear on Giordana frames. I also have a Mondonico in SL but some lighter gauge TT and DT, and its ride is great. Before the frame repair with the newer tubes, it felt stiff. Hot, but stiff.

The Nemo has a lot in common with the ELOS, so I would say it is probably the better/more comfortable ride.
Thanks for your thoughts!