Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour Honor derailleur spring problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 09:00 AM
JIMMIEM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just replaced the tubes and tires on an old 10 speed bike. During reinstallation of the rear wheel the SUNTOUR HONOR derailleur spring stopped working.
Would appreciate any advice on how to repair or where to find info to do the fix.
Thank You
Old 06-26-21, 09:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do you know that it was working before? If it was, then maybe you just got something amiss when you put the wheel back in.

Otherwise it might just be gummed up grease somewhere or rusty cables.

Can you post a pic somewhere? Just write the share link to it in the plain text of your next post. Remove the https:// and put a space around any . in the URL. There is a gallery here, but even that sometimes takes a while for a photo from a noob to show up. But you are close to 10 posts, I thing that's the magic number to let you embed pics in your messages. Maybe 10 posts and a day.
Old 06-26-21, 09:44 AM
JIMMIEM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, it had been working. I was testing the bike to make sure the shifting was working ok and noticed that the spring tension was gone. I'm going to take the derailleur off to check it out. I may have snapped off the end of the spring that protrudes out of the housing and holds the spring in tension.
Old 06-26-21, 11:39 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
I don't think I've ever had an Honor derailleur, but every other Suntour rear mech I've owned has a stop pin (Campy calls it a grub screw) that you first remove (unscrew) that then allows you to safely unwind the spring tension. After you've completely finished overhauling the derailleur, you then rewind the spring tension, and hold it in tension with one hand when replacing the stop pin with the other as the final step in the process.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-26-21, 02:29 PM
JIMMIEM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I don't think I've ever had an Honor derailleur, but every other Suntour rear mech I've owned has a stop pin (Campy calls it a grub screw) that you first remove (unscrew) that then allows you to safely unwind the spring tension. After you've completely finished overhauling the derailleur, you then rewind the spring tension, and hold it in tension with one hand when replacing the stop pin with the other as the final step in the process.
Thank You!! That was it. I did a mini-overhaul and lube and the spring tension is working again. I would have done more cleanup but didn't have any bike degreaser and lube. I'll pick some up and go at it again. Now that I have some idea of how it works should be easier to do.
Old 06-26-21, 04:21 PM
JIMMIEM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice work. And yeah, I just use paper towels and WD-40 spray silicone to clean everything and lube the rivets and parallelogram spring. Then apply a thin amount of thick grease to coat the inside of the cage spring housing, the two wheel bearings, and the hanger bolt. After you overhaul one of these derailleurs, you can pretty much do 'em all. It can get a little complicated if they don't have a removable stop pin.
What type of lubricant besides the grease?
Old 06-27-21, 01:43 PM
JIMMIEM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For rivets and parts that move that you can't access to apply grease, I use the same WD-40 spray silicone product that I used previously in the overhaul process to clean everything. Parts that you can easily access that need grease, I use a thick lithium lubricant. It's similar to Campy grease and a bit thicker than the stuff that Park Tool sells.
Thank You
Likes For JIMMIEM: