Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Who Owns What - Behind the Brands we buy

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 07-06-21, 10:17 AM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Raleigh Elkhorn, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 62 Posts

I've always found it interesting how many subsidiaries a company might have. The accompanying graphic illustrates how so much of what we buy as consumers is produced by the same few companies under different names. You're bound to recognize some favs in there.

Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 07-06-21, 01:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I've always found it interesting how many subsidiaries a company might have . The accompanying graphic illustrates how so much of what we buy as consumers is produced by the same few companies under different names. You're bound to recognize some favs in there.
If you find that graphic "interesting", good for you. The info in that graphic is hardly news, or a revelation as the ownership of these subsidiaries is widely available public knowledge. The graphic does not indicate that the subsidiaries are producing identical products with the only difference being a different name.

What is your point other than you find it interesting how many subsidiaries a company might have?
Old 07-06-21, 03:40 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 154 Posts
I think it’s interesting.
I also think it’s interesting (and foolish) that people actually identify with brands that are just looking to make money off the consumer.

Ditto to any false perceptions that person A preferred choice of media cares more about truth than the other side. Or that the partisans person B associates with will carry out any plans to make the future better.

Who needs facts when you can get peoples emotions and identifies?

I just thought of a term for it.
Soft Slavery.
If somebody else invented the term, I am not aware of it. Good for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Start-Why-Lea...32354867&psc=1
Old 07-06-21, 03:53 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10653 Post(s)
Liked 2,680 Times in 1,849 Posts
What I find interesting is how many brands compete with themselves seeking to eek out a sliver of a certain market... Coca-Cola for instance is competing with itself in the soft drink market with several different brands of seemingly unrelated products... Fanta and Coke as well as Pib, Sprite and Dasani water... all in an effort to grab the entire "non alcohol beverage market." Pepsi-co does something similar with chip snacks... Cheetos, Tostitos and Fritos... up against Ruffles, Lays and Sun chips.

And yes I-Like-To-Bike this information IS public, but how much of the public really bothers to look.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-06-21, 04:28 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 (primary ride),'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts
What amazes me is that there are only a few brands on there I have consumed in the last few years, and only one that isn't a tea: Hellmans "mayonnaise". I only have had that as I can't buy "real" mayo where I live and settled for absolute junk made with seed oils.

Lipton and Red Rose are the 2 primary loose teas I can buy locally.

There is literally nothing else on the list I consume.
Old 07-06-21, 04:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec View Post
And yes I-Like-To-Bike this information IS public, but how much of the public really bothers to look.
Why exactly should they really bother to look if they are not interested in the name of the various various subsidiaries owned by various corporations? Does the OP's graphic reveal anything that those incurious people need to know? Does the graphic indicate that there are some deep dark conspiracy theories at work here that the "interested" people care to reveal?
Old 07-06-21, 04:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Signature Line: A decade without watching television & 21 without McDonalds or Wal-Mart. Shopping Amazon? ... Fuhgeddaboudit
Originally Posted by Bearhawker View Post
What amazes me is that there are only a few brands on there I have consumed in the last few years, and only one that isn't a tea: Hellmans "mayonnaise". I only have had that as I can't buy "real" mayo where I live and settled for absolute junk made with seed oils.

Lipton and Red Rose are the 2 primary loose teas I can buy locally.

There is literally nothing else on the list I consume.
Sounds like you are almost free from the tentacles of the big bad corporate overlords.
Haven't seen such awkward boasting over brand conscious asceticism since the hey day of the Living Car Free List.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-06-21, 07:07 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 287 Posts
Some of the brands shown under different corporations are just different brand names sold in different countries. Nestle is a good example, so is Coca Cola and Mondelez. Some of their brands are strictly found in the USA, others in Europe, others in specific parts of the world. Some are also just marketed differently in the same country, good example being bottled waters. And some were developed internally, not bought by the corporation; Coca-Cola developed most (but not all) of their own 'soda' products shown in this chart.
Old 07-06-21, 09:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,212 Times in 1,430 Posts
It isn't news that fewer parent corporations own more brands. That meme is so old that one of the originals has been forgotten because it predates consumer access to the web. In the 1980s or 1990s, Saturday Night Live parodied the then-ubiquitous Beatrice Foods TV ad tagline -- "We're Beatrice" -- to make it seem even more ominous. Especially after a valid controversy over Beatrice being accused of improperly disposing of hazardous waste. Eventually Beatrice was subsumed into Conagra.

And, yeah, it's disturbing that the formerly "free press" in much of the world is dominated by a handful of media moguls who often do misuse their positions to dictate propaganda and influence politicians, governments and entire cultures.

Just as planned.

But, seriously, umbrella corporations don't always remake companies they purchase and turn them into sockpuppets for the world's Daddy Warbucks types. Sometimes they buy companies for the marque value and let the companies run themselves as they had done.

I'm not saying there's no reason to be concerned. But we need to be as skeptical of memes as we are of the oligarchy.

These are the original 1980s Beatrice Foods brand ads with the "We're Beatrice" tagline. I can't find the SNL parody.

Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-07-21, 12:02 AM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked 2,142 Times in 1,198 Posts
I'm surprised that frog by Cadbury is able to sell anything other than creepy memes.
Old 07-07-21, 06:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13737 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,358 Posts
I've always found it interesting how many subsidiaries a company might have. The accompanying graphic illustrates how so much of what we buy as consumers is produced by the same few companies under different names. You're bound to recognize some favs in there.
Have to wonder how accurate that chart is. For example, while Ocean Spay has a "strategic alliance" with Pepsico, it is still an agricultural cooperative and not a subsidiary of Pepsico. Ocean Spray has hundreds of member growers and produces its own products in several locations.
Old 07-07-21, 06:44 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts
In my opinion that graphic would be excellent to inform the uninformed, but I doubt they have been "confronted" with those facts/graphics. Just saying, eh!
Old 07-07-21, 12:12 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 4097 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
It isn't news that fewer parent corporations own more brands. That meme is so old that one of the originals has been forgotten because it predates consumer access to the web. In the 1980s or 1990s, Saturday Night Live parodied the then-ubiquitous Beatrice Foods TV ad tagline -- "We're Beatrice" -- to make it seem even more ominous. Especially after a valid controversy over Beatrice being accused of improperly disposing of hazardous waste. Eventually Beatrice was subsumed into Conagra.

And, yeah, it's disturbing that the formerly "free press" in much of the world is dominated by a handful of media moguls who often do misuse their positions to dictate propaganda and influence politicians, governments and entire cultures.

Just as planned.

But, seriously, umbrella corporations don't always remake companies they purchase and turn them into sockpuppets for the world's Daddy Warbucks types. Sometimes they buy companies for the marque value and let the companies run themselves as they had done.

I'm not saying there's no reason to be concerned. But we need to be as skeptical of memes as we are of the oligarchy.
Probably more concerning is that behind these corporations there's much bigger concentration of money that is spread out over all these corporations and brands. I suspect when they want power that money operates as one or as a few, but when we want to get to them it's too diffuse. If we the citizens/consumers decide that for example BlackRock or Quaker is doing something very bad and should be punished, how do we figure out what to boycot? If we boycot Quaker the shareholders will get their money from another cereal brand, or even through another holding company. If we want to get to a big investment company their money is so spread out that there's too much to boycot for any effect.

So it's not good news for consumer power.
Old 07-07-21, 03:53 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
I'm surprised that frog by Cadbury is able to sell anything other than creepy memes.
Boricua! What you got against frogs?
Old 07-07-21, 03:59 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Boricua! What you got against frogs?
​​​​​​A certain segment of the population really killed it for me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feels_Good_Man
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-07-21, 07:21 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

​​​​​​A certain segment of the population really killed it for me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feels_Good_Man
Sounds like a dumb movie. I still like frogs. I still think the Koki is a fitting image for the island and its culture.
The littlest frog that makes the most noise.
Old 07-07-21, 07:28 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Sounds like a dumb movie.
Award-winning actually. At Sundance.

7.6 on IMDb.

Compare that to any other superb documentary, like Gimme Shelter.
Old 07-07-21, 07:46 PM
indyfabz

Award-winning actually. At Sundance.

7.6 on IMDb.

Compare that to any other superb documentary, like Gimme Shelter.
Director Arthur Jones appears to be no relation to the late Chuck Jones of WB fame. Chuck gave us this classic, among others. I saw him talk and draw for nearly two hours back in 1995. Amazing lecture.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-07-21 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 08:07 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Director Arthur Jones appears to be no relation to the late Chuck Jones.
The artist's name is Matt Furie, but also no relation to Chuck Jones.
Old 07-08-21, 05:30 AM
indyfabz

The artist's name is Matt Furie, but also no relation to Chuck Jones.
Considering the total lack of name similarity, one would not think they might be related. Two Jones directing animated films about frogs is a different story, but I think you know that.
Old 07-08-21, 08:23 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
i have heard the Yeti metal tumblers and the walmart brand comes off the same manufacturing line. One goes to the $40.00 conveyor and one goes to the $9.98 conveyor and then they add the finishing touches.
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 07-08-21, 10:26 AM
indyfabz

“People say believe half of what you see, son, and none of what you hear….”—N. Whitfield & B. Str
Old 07-08-21, 10:29 AM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Two Jones directing animated films about frogs is a different story, but I think you know that.
The film I mentioned above is more documentary about an animator and the online trolls that destroyed his creation, not an animated film about a frog ... but I thought you knew that.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-08-21, 10:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked 1,381 Times in 815 Posts
I used to work at a baby formula (and nutrient supplement shake) company. Both the name brand products and the Equate (Walmart) brand products were made in the same factory. The equate lines were just made using the previous (a couple years old) formulation while the name brand got the newest recipe. From what the older folks there told me, Walmart came in and said, "we're going to make this product that will compete with yours. We already know the recipe and how to do it. You can either make it for us and get some (not much but some) money for it, or some other company specializing in generics will." so the company I worked for decided a little profit from making the competitor's product was better than no profit.

Doesn't Nabisco own a tobacco company? RJ Reynolds? Or did they sell that bit off back in the days of that huge lawsuit the states won against them.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-09-21, 07:44 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 587 Posts
I prefer healthier food and drinks than the ones on that chart..with the exception of Badoit which i’ve had with dinner most of my life.

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I’d say it’s disturbing that we have so many who only listen to media, critics and a politicization that relies on disinformation that plays on fear, insecurities, anger, resentment, and/or especially hatred…..but then i prefer emotionally positive, well balanced and intelligent friends, co-workers and others that i socialize/work with….and especially the community/state i choose to live in…..all of which i happily do have and enjoy.
Likes For clemsongirl:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.