Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Just ditched my land line - woohoo !

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 07-19-21, 04:01 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 166 Posts

I've had an AT&T landline since I moved into my home 28 years ago, and although I really haven't used it since I got a smartphone, I still had a Brinks (now ADT) alarm system tethered to it. I had removed long distance calling from the account, but they were still charging me $54 per month for just local service. I initially had an answering machine connected to catch all the crank and robocalls, but then just turned off the ringer, so I wouldn't have the constant annoyance of hearing it ring until it stopped. About 6 months ago I ditched the ADT alarm for a Vivint wireless setup, but still kept the landline just in case something happened where my cell service went out and I needed a way to call out. Today I had a situation where a call back from a medical service website kept going straight through to voicemail, even though I had disabled blocking of unknown calls on my cell phone, so I figured I'd have them call me on the landline. Well, wouldn't you know that my line was dead, no dial tone, and when I tried to dial it on my cellphone, it came back with a busy signal. I called AT&T, and they said their equipment checked out, so the problem had to be at my end. But, no problem, they'd be glad to send a technician to my house and charge me a $99 service fee to fix it. I hung up and called them right back to cancel their service, and had to speak for about ten minutes with them saying no repeatedly to all their marketing blabber about getting fiber internet, cell service and all the other services they offer that I already have. The phone is now disconnected, and I have an almost euphoric sense of liberation.

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-19-21, 04:10 PM
Eric F
Habitual User

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 1,618 Times in 779 Posts
We did that about 2 years ago. The only calls we ever got were my mom, my wife's aunt, and bill collectors looking for the person that had our number previously.
Old 07-19-21, 04:24 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 46 Posts
Good for you.

I keep meaning to do this now that most of the older generation is gone. We kept it for many years because my wife and I would both get on different extensions when we spoke to my parents, and we did that often.

When I work from home a couple days per week, the phone rings all day long with salesmen and beggars of every ilk. I feel like a fool for continuing to pay for the privilege of being bothered by them.
Old 07-19-21, 04:31 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 10645 Post(s)
Liked 2,670 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
Good for you.

I keep meaning to do this now that most of the older generation is gone. We kept it for many years because my wife and I would both get on different extensions when we spoke to my parents, and we did that often.

When I work from home a couple days per week, the phone rings all day long with salesmen and beggars of every ilk. I feel like a fool for continuing to pay for the privilege of being bothered by them.
Are you aware that most smart phones allow 3 way calls? Our son is in a different city and the wife and I get on our respective phones and set up a three way call and talk just like the old days... "with the extension in the other room."
Likes For genec:
Old 07-19-21, 04:44 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 46 Posts
^ Good point. Haven't done it, but I'm not surprised.

Yet another reason to pull the plug!
Old 07-19-21, 04:57 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 194 Posts
I tried to cancel online but you have to call them. I hate calling them as it can take an hour to actually get to a live person. But we've had the phone unplugged for a year. It was nothing but endless spam calls. So we're paying for nothing. I really need to just do it.
Old 07-19-21, 05:01 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

One more thing I failed to mention is that my alarm system is on its own cell service, so if for some reason my cellphone isn't working, I can still call for medical/police/fire in an emergency directly from the alarm control panel. I can also access it remotely from an app on the cellphone.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-19-21, 05:38 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 247 Posts
I still have my land line...I don't know why...

This is a funny video of a girl I've been following as she hikes the Appalachian Trail. She came across an actual phone booth...she says it's an antique from the 1960's, it was both funny and sad at the same time. Talk about feeling old...

Go to the 7:04-minute point in the video to see an "antique" phone booth

Old 07-19-21, 06:15 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 594 Posts
Ditched mine probably 15 years ago, but at least half of my cell phone calls is spam too... and a fourth of my text messages.

Probably 90% of my email.
Old 07-19-21, 06:59 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Ditched mine probably 15 years ago, but at least half of my cell phone calls is spam too... and a fourth of my text messages.

Probably 90% of my email.
I have my phone set up to silence all incoming calls that are not on my contacts list, and send them directly to voicemail. Not surprisingly, most of them don't leave messages. If I'm expecting a callback from a service person, I'll temporarily disable this feature so that the call will ring for me to answer it. As to email, who do you use ? Gmail is really good at filtering out most spam emails.

Old 07-19-21, 10:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 15185 Post(s)
Liked 6,345 Times in 3,597 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
I've had an AT&T landline since I moved into my home 28 years ago, and although I really haven't used it since I got a smartphone, I still had a Brinks (now ADT) alarm system tethered to it. I had removed long distance calling from the account, but they were still charging me $54 per month for just local service.
🤯

I couldn't tell you who was president when I last had a land line. Seeing what it costs today makes me feel even better about paying for cell service. I remember $300 phone bills after I moved across the country, what a scam that was! Reading what local service costs now makes me even happier with the value my $80 cell plan is. Thanks for posting!!
Old 07-19-21, 10:57 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked 2,260 Times in 1,459 Posts
Got rid of the landline too many calls for Miss Estrada that skipped out on paying Conns. I don’t know her she don’t live here. One day I said run there calling again or something silly. Bill collectors and the such all the time.
Old 07-20-21, 04:32 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 394 Posts
Mrs. Higgins says our landline is part of the "bundle" we get from our service provider, and that its would be more expensive to get a package without it. I'm dubious, and I think I'll check that out. Its never used so time to get rid of it.
Old 07-20-21, 04:41 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 226 Posts
Haven't done a traditional "land" line for years. Don't do "smart" phones and texting, so I avoid most of that mess. Still get some spammy calls, but I won't answer the phone for any number I don't already know. If they leave a message (which is rare), I'll all them back. I'll pick up for known friends or contacts. (Requires maintaining a "white list" on the phone service, and managing the "blocked" list of numbers, but overall it's cut own on 99% of the junk calls.) I do get looked at like I'm a green bug, at shops, when I inform them I don't have a smart phone to get texts from them; but I can deal with that. Overall, works well for me.

My condolences to those that find they have to continually fight the spammers and can't seem to find a way out of it. I feel for ya.
Old 07-20-21, 07:15 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Haven't done a traditional "land" line for years. Don't do "smart" phones and texting, so I avoid most of that mess. Still get some spammy calls, but I won't answer the phone for any number I don't already know. If they leave a message (which is rare), I'll all them back. I'll pick up for known friends or contacts. (Requires maintaining a "white list" on the phone service, and managing the "blocked" list of numbers, but overall it's cut own on 99% of the junk calls.) I do get looked at like I'm a green bug, at shops, when I inform them I don't have a smart phone to get texts from them; but I can deal with that. Overall, works well for me.

My condolences to those that find they have to continually fight the spammers and can't seem to find a way out of it. I feel for ya.
The car warranty spam is insidious... Same voice every time, same message, new phone number... every damn time. Can't block it when they keep using new numbers.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...%20or%20policy.

I usually just don't answer... but they use the same area code as my office... and on rare occasion, when I am anticipating a call from someone in the office, I do answer... which apparently triggers more spam. I thought that new FCC mandated system went into effect June 30... apparently the "car warranty cartel" has not yet been caught.
Old 07-20-21, 07:20 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
I tried to cancel online but you have to call them. I hate calling them as it can take an hour to actually get to a live person. But we've had the phone unplugged for a year. It was nothing but endless spam calls. So we're paying for nothing. I really need to just do it.
The real irony is if you don't pay, they still don't "get it." They just run up the bill and then send it to collections.

I had a heck of a time trying to get out of Spectrum last year... they insisted that they could supply me service anywhere and I should simply opt to move it. When I gave them my new isolated rural address, they finally backed off... "oh, we don't do that area..." "Yeah, no kidding!"
Old 07-20-21, 07:25 AM
Zedoo
\_(ツ)_/

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
We may be going back to landlines in a few years as cellphone materials become unavailable. Land phones can be as simple as a few wires in a wood box. Shortwave may pick up the slack where lines are not practical.
Old 07-20-21, 07:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
We may be going back to landlines in a few years as cellphone materials become unavailable. Land phones can be as simple as a few wires in a wood box. Shortwave may pick up the slack where lines are not practical.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-20-21, 07:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 235 Posts
I ditched the land line 15 years ago.
Old 07-20-21, 08:09 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
.... Don't do "smart" phones and texting, so I avoid most of that mess. ....I do get looked at like I'm a green bug, at shops, when I inform them I don't have a smart phone to get texts from them; but I can deal with that.... .
You don't need a smartphone in order to send or receive text messages, any cellphone can do that. The term "smartphone" simply means that in addition to normal cell services, i.e. voice and text, you also have internet connectivity, so you can get email, visit websites in a browser, run apps to buy stuff and do banking etc.

Old 07-20-21, 08:26 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 109 Posts
I dropped my landline probably ten years ago, when I did, the phone company agent said that it would take approximately two to three days for the service to disconnect. About three hours after making the call to the phone company, it struck me on how quiet the house became, with the land line disconnect taking hours and not days, and to finally realize how many telemarketer phone calls I was getting.
Old 07-20-21, 08:36 AM
Will G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Cut the land line a while back. Half the bill was just taxes and fees for a service we didn't use. More recently, we cut the cable, well, satellite dish in our case. Again, something we didn't use 99% of the time and we could find what we did watch on a streaming service. Dealing with the "what can we do to keep you" person was comical.
Old 07-20-21, 08:45 AM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
You don't need a smartphone in order to send or receive text messages, any cellphone can do that. The term "smartphone" simply means that in addition to normal cell services, i.e. voice and text, you also have internet connectivity, so you can get email, visit websites in a browser, run apps to buy stuff and do banking etc.
Yes, I know. But with a computer to do the normal and customer "computer" stuff, it's not all that vital to have a contemporary mobile phone. Though some businesses require a "legitimate" cell phone number in order to do business with you, and some will only communicate via texting (oddly enough). Meh. They can have it. And leave a message. I'll review messages once I get back to the house. Worked fine before 1990. Works just fine now.
Old 07-20-21, 08:48 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 247 Posts
What's sad is I think we're getting to a point where smart phones are practically a requirement. Give it a few more years.
Old 07-20-21, 09:06 AM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
What's sad is I think we're getting to a point where smart phones are practically a requirement. Give it a few more years.
Probably a certainty, sadly. IIRC, Google requires a "legitimate" cell phone number (not a textme 'fake' and not a landline or VOIP line) in order to create an account. And where Google goeth, all mankind ends up, seemingly.

*sigh*

I'll get there, I suppose. Dragged. With fingernail marks all the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.