Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this the best explanation of chain stretch ever?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this the best explanation of chain stretch ever?

Old 01-09-22, 12:36 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
If one were to stipulate, for the sake of argument, that cleaning prolongs chain life to some unspecified degree, that would still not imply that it's worthwhile.
Old 01-09-22, 12:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Not a problem if you have full fenders with long mudflaps on the front fender.
Full fenders aren't going to prevent the chain from getting messed up...The main reason why I run full fenders is to prevent road grime from messing up my clothing...
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-09-22, 03:14 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
They don't stretch... they wear.
That is as good of an explanation as there is. Yet someone not only took the time to make the video in the OP, but they took time to make props.

Old 01-09-22, 03:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Heated fenders ???.........That's it I give up,
It’s pretty simple. Instead of putting a dead truck battery on your rack, you use a fully charged one and complete the circuit.

It may only work for 200 meters, but it’s better than nothing.

John
Old 01-09-22, 03:24 PM
gigadeath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Chains wear out and there is no magic lube that will increase the lifespan of a chain...Chain cleaning is also waste of time and does nothing to increase the lifespan of a chain. ..Just enjoy riding your bike and replace your chain when it's worn out."

I believe there is something to this statement. A guy I ride with replaces his chain around the 4000 mile mark. All he does is lube it to keep it quiet. Runs the same cassette through 3 or 4 chain changes. The outer chain ring where he rides most of the time has never been replaced. This bike is about 14 years old now. He is not a masher, but does weigh around 200lbs. Terrain is relatively flat with a few steep hills along the way.

When riding with him he can't hear the squeaking chain so I have to tell him to lube it when he gets home. He never cleans it, just adds lube. It really baffles me as I replace my chain every 1000-1500 miles. I have yet to replace the cassette or chain ring, but the drive train has only seen 3 full seasons.
This is what I do. Never stripped a chain of old lube, ever. New lube on - link by link - take out excess and grime with towel. Oil cleans oil. When chain is nearing death, toss it to be recycled.

Yes, I see cleaning chains as a waste of time. Yes, people using chain cleaning devices look a bit like aliens to me. And about taking the chain off to clean it in a bucket? Don't get me started on that. As others said, waste of time.
Old 01-09-22, 04:06 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
You can either replace the chain every couple thousand miles, or just let things go all sharktooth and replace the whole shebang when it won't shift anymore. Heck maybe that's new bike time; let someone else deal with chain wear. The big tent of cycling has room for both extremes and everything in-between.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-09-22, 04:16 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Keeping everything running smoothly and wasting the least power isn't a big imposition for me, but there are all sorts, I guess.
​​​​​​
I mean, taking off the chain once per month, deep cleaning and relubing takes all of half a hour, during which time I'm also chatting with my wife and kids and possibly doing something else while the chain is soaking. Every week before a big ride, a wipe-down and a relube. I spend as much if not more time washing and drying my cycling kit.
​​​​​​
Old 01-09-22, 04:16 PM
gigadeath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
You can either replace the chain every couple thousand miles, or just let things go all sharktooth and replace the whole shebang when it won't shift anymore. Heck maybe that's new bike time; let someone else deal with chain wear. The big tent of cycling has room for both extremes and everything in-between.
Come on that's not what happens

4 bikes, 12 years cycling, and all 4 chainrings are still the originals. Yes probably I have to change chain at 3000km instead of 4000km (like... 20 dollars a year), but how much time I save not doing something I hate? I prefer sweeping floors than cleaning chains, and that says something. It makes cycling a stress instead of a reliever.
Old 01-09-22, 04:19 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Freewheels are NOT cassettes

Cassettes are NOT freewheels

I will now begin calling every part on a bicycle any or all of the following ....whatchamacallit ....doohickey ....or better yet .... thingamabob
Likes For TPL:
Old 01-09-22, 05:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
Freewheels are NOT cassettes

Cassettes are NOT freewheels

I will now begin calling every part on a bicycle any or all of the following ....whatchamacallit ....doohickey ....or better yet .... thingamabob
And what do you do with your clipless pedals. You CLIP IN, that's what you do.

"Hey, let me take off from this red light and clip in to my clipless pedals."
"Yesterday I fell over because I couldn't unclip from my clipless pedal"

We coulda come up with snap-in or click-in but no, the collective cycling mind came up with let's clip in to our clipless pedals.
Old 01-09-22, 05:28 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
[QUOTE=cubewheels;22367071]Not a problem if you have full fenders with long mudflaps on the front fender. Perhaps keep a good clearance between fender and tires to avoid icing issues or use heated fenders.[/QUOT
Man, another reason to appreciate the luxury of year round riding in Florida! I recall the extraordinary energy, time and resources it takes to "appreciate" the change of seasons.
Old 01-09-22, 08:28 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,111 Posts
Do your fenders keep water out of your paper spacers?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-09-22, 08:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
If full fenders are not working for you to keep your chain from getting dirty, you need longer and wider mudflaps on the front fenders. the mudflaps on my front fender is 3 inches wide and almost touches the ground.

If you didn't know before, most of the muck that gets thrown to the drivetrain comes from the front wheel.

I have 15 years of experience riding in winter...You have no experience riding in winter because you live in tropical country which never has snow, ice and salt covered roads.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-09-22, 09:18 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
TIL that (1) there is such a thing as a heated fender and (2) unless you live in Canada, you can't possibly know how a fender works.

Old 01-09-22, 09:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
'to clean or not to clean, that is the question'
'you say cassette, I say freewheel , you say cog, I say gear - Let's call the whole thing off '
'Winter idleness is the heaviest of oppressions' - courtesy of somebody... maybe me
'Winter' has truly come to BF... LOL!
OP - always to be held in the back of one's mind - no good deed or intent is ever left unpunished !
Ride, ski, skate, walk, swim, read, play, listen, ANYTHING on!
assures no wasted moment... time is only 'wasted', when we choose to give it away... like, right now
Yuri - chain cleaning has its meditative side...
Old 01-09-22, 09:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
ok BF brain trust, since we're talking chains... my chain is measuring approx 1/20" long (not quite 1/16" yet) over 12 inches - about .5%. bike rides perfectly. chain is cheap. cassette is EXPENSIVE. approx 2,500 miles on it. replace it?
Old 01-09-22, 10:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Lifehack * Party candles for cleaning & lubricating the chain. Birthday candles takes years of crud & wear off from it!
Old 01-10-22, 03:38 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Lifehack * Party candles for cleaning & lubricating the chain. Birthday candles takes years of crud & wear off from it!
Just figured out that average retirement age is what it is to ensure that sufficient birthday candles are available. With the increased bike mileage you'll be doing, you'll need a lot.
Old 01-10-22, 05:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
I replace chains every 6500-ish km and they have more life in them at that point, but I have an important race coming up or something and want everything to be in perfect condition, or last time I changed my chain I installed an OSPW and hence had to put a longer chain in and so on.
​​​​​
Cleaning and lubing with quality stuff, and the chains are Dura-ace 11 speed. It absolutely matters - not all lubes are the same and chain quality differs.
​​​
​​
Since they are in reasonably good condition still, I didn't toss the last couple or so in the garbage. Might use them for kids' bikes or something.
​​​​

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Similar here. I usually replace the chain on my road bike (Ultegra 11-speed) once a season (typically 8-9000 km) and wear is still below the recommended mark. SRAM 12 speed chains on my mtbs seem to last forever, but I do a lot less mileage on those. People changing chains every 1500 km sounds nuts! From browsing the zero friction website it looks clear that wear is accelerated massively by riding in the wet and I don't do a lot of wet weather riding, so that probably explains some of it. Also some lubes are much better than others for wear.
Old 01-10-22, 08:47 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
...replace it?
Chain and chain lube postings always go wonky. I agree good cassettes are expensive, but there is a lot to your question. If I was riding busy city roads, sometimes wet, still working, kids at home and had a spare I am sure I would put on a new chain. Most of my bikes are ridden in a bike friendly community with wide bike lanes that are swept clean frequently, Southern AZ so never in the wet, I am retired so I keep my chains lubed, wiped down and cleaned as needed. Also I rotate bikes w/o logging milage, unless obviously a new chain when wiping them down before a ride I use a Shimano TL-CN42 (calibrated by me) for a quick check and a scale if getting close so would wait for that last little bit of life.
Old 01-10-22, 09:47 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Every time I read one of these threads and people talk about replacing chains (or tires) after 1000-1500 miles of riding, I always wonder what I'm doing differently.

I've got at least 3000 miles on a Shimano chain right now and it's still not measuring any wear using a Park Tool CC-4 chain checker. I have a brand new chain on the box ready to install, just waiting for a sign...

I don't do anything special in terms of drivetrain maintenance. I clean and re-lube the chain with a wet lube every couple of weeks unless I'm riding in wet conditions, in which case I'll clean & re-lube it more frequently.
Old 01-10-22, 10:06 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have 15 years of experience riding in winter...You have no experience riding in winter because you live in tropical country which never has snow, ice and salt covered roads.
You seem to be operating under the misconception that people have only ridden their bike in the place they currently live.
Old 01-10-22, 10:30 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Every time I read one of these threads and people talk about replacing chains (or tires) after 1000-1500 miles of riding, I always wonder what I'm doing differently.

I've got at least 3000 miles on a Shimano chain right now and it's still not measuring any wear using a Park Tool CC-4 chain checker. I have a brand new chain on the box ready to install, just waiting for a sign...

I don't do anything special in terms of drivetrain maintenance. I clean and re-lube the chain with a wet lube every couple of weeks unless I'm riding in wet conditions, in which case I'll clean & re-lube it more frequently.
Im fairly certain some of the issue is the chain gauges themselves. Mostly they seem random in construction and cheaply made, not to mention its usually not disclosed what the designer of the tool considers "worn out". Im betting checking the same chain with 10 different gauges, ruler and calliper will produce all sorts of results, leaving you more confused than informed.
Old 01-10-22, 10:49 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 355 Posts
Chains wear out and there is no magic lube that will increase the lifespan of a chain...Chain cleaning is also waste of time and does nothing to increase the lifespan of a chain. ..Just enjoy riding your bike and replace your chain when it's worn out.
I cannot believe this is a serious post. You don't mention lubrication, so every chain I have ever seen would be seriously rusted in a few months of riding, and the noise would be nearly unbearable. Your claim flies in the face of logic and evidence. Any other completely bogus beliefs you want to share?
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-10-22, 12:17 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Chain and chain lube postings always go wonky. I agree good cassettes are expensive, but there is a lot to your question. If I was riding busy city roads, sometimes wet, still working, kids at home and had a spare I am sure I would put on a new chain. Most of my bikes are ridden in a bike friendly community with wide bike lanes that are swept clean frequently, Southern AZ so never in the wet, I am retired so I keep my chains lubed, wiped down and cleaned as needed. Also I rotate bikes w/o logging milage, unless obviously a new chain when wiping them down before a ride I use a Shimano TL-CN42 (calibrated by me) for a quick check and a scale if getting close so would wait for that last little bit of life.
thank you for the reply! yeah, i'm embarrassed to say the %*()@( cassette (which i have two of - one on a road wheelset, one on a gravel wheelset) cost $300 or something. (SRAM XG-1195).

i ride in and around san francisco, city streets, steep hills, but mostly very well paved roads in clean and dry conditions. maybe 10% of the time i'm in heavy fog/mist/rain or riding gravel. i clean and lube it carefully every 200-300 miles. i think maybe i'll ride this one for another 500-1000 miles until/unless i put the gravel wheelset back on, which has a nearly brand new cassette with less than 500 miles on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.