Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pity Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 09:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Pity Bikes

Have you ever felt sorry for a bike and wanted to rescue it from becoming a poorly executed fixed gear perversion or yard art?

There is a sad looking Western Auto 3 speed not really local to me, but close enough I'd drive to get it if it was worth a damn. I really don't know enough about it to be sure, but I wonder if it is a rebadged Raleigh. I can't tell if it is the dangle to the angle the photos are from or if the front fork is bent and the NDS pedal is wack. Other times it has been listed, from the drive side I have seen other issues. And from any angle there are issues that can't be hidden by photography. This bike is frequently posted on facebook marketplace always at the same price making me thing the seller won't entertain lower offers. Previous times it has been posted make me believe it is at a second hand store, flea market or other thrift store type place. And each time it is posted, it seems a little more patina disappears. The $65 asking price, cables, tubes, tires, rim tape, brake pads, labor and gas money don't incline me to go look at it. But somehow, I think I would get a lot of warm and fuzzies making it ridable enough to spin around the neighborhood with the grandkids or take the short ride to the office in the evening to handle a few things.

Below is a before and after of an '84 Raleigh Competition I think was destined to become a fixed gear or single speed and the Western Auto 3 speed and I am in love with that bike. I just don't think the Western Auto would make me as happy as the Raleigh has, but I keep thinking about it. Have you ever considered a bike that made no good sense to purchase, but were attracted to it anyway? If so what was it and did the warm and fuzzies come as you hoped?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-22-22, 09:43 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Rescued Bikes

1988 Peugeot Chorus Reynolds 753 frame had been abused as a fixie!

Restored to original with a complete 1st generation Campy Chorus gruppo.

1984 Gitane Super Corsa rescued from fixiedom....

I built it as a wet weather beater with a hodgepodge of components. Quickly became the Goldilocks bike I'd been searching for since 1975. Tied with my 1988 Peugeot Biarritz for my all time favorite riding and handling bikes.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 01-22-22, 09:55 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Yes, many times.

This one was going to get thrown away in recycling.

Same with this one. I know someone who really wants to have this bike once I gets tires on it.

Also was going to get recycled.

Friend was going to take this to the dump.

I turned it into this and donated it to the bike co op. Someone bought it from them.

I got a pic of the Galaxy 2. It is still a work in progress.

All of these are way too small for me to ride.

Last edited by grant40; 01-23-22 at 11:55 AM.
Likes For grant40:
Old 01-22-22, 10:02 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
That Nishiki step through looks a bit custom by crash up front.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-22-22, 10:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Have you ever felt sorry for a bike and wanted to rescue it from becoming a poorly executed fixed gear perversion or yard art?

There is a sad looking Western Auto 3 speed not really local to me, but close enough I'd drive to get it if it was worth a damn. I really don't know enough about it to be sure, but I wonder if it is a rebadged Raleigh. I can't tell if it is the dangle to the angle the photos are from or if the front fork is bent and the NDS pedal is wack. Other times it has been listed, from the drive side I have seen other issues. And from any angle there are issues that can't be hidden by photography. This bike is frequently posted on facebook marketplace always at the same price making me thing the seller won't entertain lower offers. Previous times it has been posted make me believe it is at a second hand store, flea market or other thrift store type place. And each time it is posted, it seems a little more patina disappears. The $65 asking price, cables, tubes, tires, rim tape, brake pads, labor and gas money don't incline me to go look at it. But somehow, I think I would get a lot of warm and fuzzies making it ridable enough to spin around the neighborhood with the grandkids or take the short ride to the office in the evening to handle a few things.

Below is a before and after of an '84 Raleigh Competition I think was destined to become a fixed gear or single speed and the Western Auto 3 speed and I am in love with that bike. I just don't think the Western Auto would make me as happy as the Raleigh has, but I keep thinking about it. Have you ever considered a bike that made no good sense to purchase, but were attracted to it anyway? If so what was it and did the warm and fuzzies come as you hoped?

You need to get them to throw in the Coke machine.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-23-22, 08:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts

I just finished this rescue. I bought it a couple of years ago for $20! It did not come with wheels , the first picture is just some rims I had laying around my shop . I had it powder painted and put different decals than original . I also went mostly Campy because that’s what is on my other bikes and I like the way they look and work. This bike was on CL for quite a while and I finally caved. I haven’t ridden it yet except a couple of laps up my street but it should be a cool change from my racers, this is a 1980 Motobecane Grand Sprint. It has a longer wheel base than I am used to. I still need to change the tires , these are what came with the wheels I bought for it.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 01-23-22 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-23-22, 09:14 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Pity can extend to framesets as well:

Pity followed by work and luck can lead to a Karma bike, when the work is achieved by multiple dedicated karmic hands.

excuse missing tt cable clamp.,. some of these lil rascals with .001mm hex screws are a witch with twitchy hands. Corrected subsequently.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-23-22 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-23-22, 11:08 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Pity frame, crashed early 80s Bianchi I got for free.
Tim

Likes For tkamd73:
Old 01-23-22, 11:30 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Was throwing this frame in a dumpster after removing the dynamo remnants and fenders then realized how light the frame was. Turned out to be a PUCH frame labeled Sears Ted Williams. I reassembled it with components from the parts bin and it has become a family favorite!
Old 01-23-22, 11:50 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
When someone was offering this bike on a local classifieds site for €10 and no one was buying it, I decided to do the decent thing.

I offered €25 and went and picked it up. It took a couple of days of my time and ~€50 in paint and consumables and small parts to make it into this:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-23-22, 12:15 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
A pair of Ross mountain bikes showed up at a nearby second hand shop a few years ago. They were in decent original condition, needing only lubrication and consumables. I wanted the larger of the two, but after watching the other one sit outside all summer, I went back and bought it for $10. My wife rides it occasionally.

1987 Ross Mt. Hood
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 01-23-22, 12:29 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts

I have rescued so many quality bikes that were cast offs that ended up at the bike exchange. Here is one of my favorites . It came to me as a frankin bike with a mish mash of parts that some bike mechanic had probably built up as a beater . reasurch revealed it to be a high class French frame of uncertain origin, probably built by a small custom builder. After a repaint and age appropriate French components it looked like this

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 01-23-22, 04:42 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
This Centurion Comp TA , was gifted to me by a IM enthusiast . He was on his sales route thru the Mid West and stopped at a little bike shop and took pity on this , the owner of the BS was stripping it down to sell for parts . When I got it , it was just a frame , fork , headset . The only reason the headset was there is because the steer tube had been cut too long and the top nut bottomed out and was stuck . Even Centurion has a bad day .

IMG_0192 by mark westi, on Flickr
Likes For markwesti:
Old 01-23-22, 04:52 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I saw this Swiss 3-speed Condor at the co-op and was pretty sure it would wind up in the dumpster so I went back and got it and some handlebars. I justified the purchase by claiming that thirty bucks for 700C Sturmey-Archer wheels for my Raleigh Pro 3-speed project was too good a price to pass up.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-23-22, 05:01 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
I have rescued so many quality bikes that were cast offs that ended up at the bike exchange. Here is one of my favorites . It came to me as a frankin bike with a mish mash of parts that some bike mechanic had probably built up as a beater . reasurch revealed it to be a high class French frame of uncertain origin, probably built by a small custom builder. After a repaint and age appropriate French components it looked like this
Those dropouts are very interesting - do you have any closeups, or have I missed a build thread about this one?

-Kurt

Old 01-23-22, 05:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
I was visiting a well known horse trader who offered me a 20 kg bag of pure lye ( don't ask ). He had a 1950's Jag in a barn, thousands of feet of wide, rough-sawn old growth lumber and this sad, sad 52 Humber Sports, an entry level model. I had to wheedle him down to $35 just to save it from rusting away over the next winter. All chrome plating is %100 shot but that bonderized primer and Raleigh paint is hanging in there. Still have it, it's an unusual model and colour.

Likes For clubman:
Old 01-24-22, 07:03 PM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
There are two bikes on the local marketplace that I've considered rescuing, but neither appear in the photos to be the right frame size for me to actually ride them. One's a Lambert Viscount Grand Prix 15-speed that's asking $60, and the other's a Centurion Cavaletto with an asking price of $30. Don't need another bike, but if I knew they were the right size, I might get one or both of them.

Old 01-24-22, 09:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well......after I said no more bikes I saw this one for sale in a post here. Saw potential and abuse and just had to make a try for it.

Detailed pics in the ad showed dried mud or something on the shifters, some corrosion on the components, missing inner tube, bar tape coming off, etc.

Only had it a few days so far but took it to here with it's first cleaning and some newer wheels.

How it sits tonight after a teardown yesterday. Still need to pull the BB. Then I'll fully clean the frame, touch it up, service the headset, and rebuild it with some Dura Ace 7400 parts.

It had been neglected. Everything worked but the FD was pretty corroded, the chain a mess, and even though it did shift and brake the cables and housings were badly gummed up. BB and headset actually feel ok if I'm honest but I'm expecting to find some gummy grease in there. Although, the original wheels hubs weren't that bad.

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-24-22 at 09:44 PM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 01-24-22, 10:58 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
This Centurion Signet was $10 at a scrapyard - I bought it for its scrap metal value. I replaced the rear wheel with one I had kicking around and rode it for a while, then donated it -

This 1986 Univega Arrowpace was $24.99 and awaits warmer weather and more time to work on bikes -

- and this 1999 Cannondale SP500 was $25 and went from this -

- to this -

And for now, I'll close with this one, currently in mothballs until the next Clunker Challenge 100. It is THE saddest Schwinn LeTour I have ever seen in my life, and it cost me a whopping $15.

Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 01-25-22, 12:28 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Old Huret Dropout

Originally Posted by cudak888
Those dropouts are very interesting - do you have any closeups, or have I missed a build thread about this one? -Kurt
Kurt, that's a mid 60's Huret dropout...

Functional but not very svelte.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 01-25-22, 04:05 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
My 83 Nishiki Olympic. My granny was on her way to my house, and said she saw a bike on a side street. After she left I walked to look at it, and it was a bike I actually seem days prior headed the direction it was found. Guy was riding it with no rear tire&tube, disconnected brakes, a 26" front wheel on it. Wish I had a before picture.

I was wanting to build a single speed anyway, so it was all the excuse to keep it- that and it fit(especially after an inch shorter stem). I hate the colors of it, though.

This was last summer, and the bike was a budget build, with no intentions to be perfect, more parts-thrown-at-it-clapped-out-fixie-without-being-clapped-out-fixie. Stickers(some) aside, all the money spent on this bike was; pedals, chainring bolts, chain, rear wheel& sprocket, brake levers.

Original crank is a Sugino VP, now with RaceFace 48t chainring, 16t sprocket.
Stolen Thermolite pedals.
Vuelta Pista rear wheel, State Bike Co front wheel.
Sora front brake, Tiagra rear brake.
Ponzo San Marco seat & SunRace seat post(already on bike).
Stem from my Nishiki Prestige.
Origin8 levers.
Jagwire cables.
Forgot what bar was, but those 1" bull bars are unubtanium in this city, the co-op had one
Innertube bartape from old tubes.

It's a nice ride. I wish I could get a different fork for it, though.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 01-25-22, 05:47 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
It looks like many of you have taken pity on abused and misfit bikes and have made some silk purses out of them.

There is another pity bike on my radar because my wife doesn't like her six speed Bridgestone mixte. A three speed Takara is languishing away for want of a twenty dollar bill. The Takara would would require almost another $20 of gas to get, lunch with her friend that lives in the area and would never be as pretty as the 'Stone. But I have a soft spot in my heart for Takaras and I could probably find room in the garage for another bike that my wife won't ride.

The Bridgestone was a pity bike too by the way but also an excellent survivor.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-25-22, 05:55 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
What is this, slamming Fixed Gear? The best old bike to get around town is a Fixed Gear.
Old 01-25-22, 05:58 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
1981 Fuji Royale in Anthracite Gray

Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 01-25-22, 10:52 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Can't save 'em all, but when a C&V'er comes across a neglected or damaged bike or frame, we know what to do.
@Wildwood mentioned the Zeus, above, which came to me from @Stevensb, I bent it back into shape, then sent it north to Stewart.

A few years ago one of our local co-ops had a nearly perfect Raleigh International frame in that classic copper color for $85 up on their website. I was shocked that it was so cheap, so I called, made sure they still had it. It was hanging form the ceiling 15 feet above us, when they got the hook out and brought it down my heart sank - it was a "three legged dog". One of the fork dropouts was missing! I figured for the price I could fix it. Luckily I had a set of Campy front dropouts and was able to braze them back in. On the same trip I saw a nice orange and white Stella frameset for $85 as well - this one had been castrated by a fixie idjit (dropout hanger hacked off). No problem, I had some inexpensive horizonal dropouts from framebuildersupply, so I cut off just the hanger, did a bit of filing and fitting and brazed a new hanger on. These two bikes were hanging up in my shop for awhile, and I can usually pawn off any 57cm frames to @Andy_K, who has posted both of his builds to this forum. The Stella repaint was steller, probably Andy's best looking bike (and I lost count of how many he has!) I've also learned how to replace a fork steerer and have done several in the past few years.

So a call-out to the BF C&V clan, if you have a frame that's really nice but has what appears to be a fatal flaw, I've got a soft spot for them. Maybe with a little bending and/or torchwork we can get it back on the open road where it belongs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.