Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Compass / Rene Herse Tires ???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Compass / Rene Herse Tires ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 08:54 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
For me, seating the RH sidewalls has been a matter of putting a LOT of air pressure in the tire--- up to and slightly above the max rating seems to result in a nice "PING" or two as the bead seats....
Yup. Soaping up bead/rim, fast & high pressure, cross fingers, check the seating..... if no-go, let a bunch of air out, do lots of massaging, try again......
Old 01-25-22, 12:50 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
He claims that Pari-Motos have less rubber to compensate for the less-supple casing, so they roll with about the same resistance "but they wear out faster". That hasn't been my experience, but maybe he would say I am not serious enough to know the difference.
I haven't tried RH tires, but I'm on my second set of Pari Motos. The first set developed a goose egg after about 750 miles. The second set is at about 550 miles now and hasn't given me any problems. They are extremely thin tires. I have socks that aren't as supple as these things. The story about RH tires having better casing and more rubber is plausible but they'd have to last twice as long as the Pari Motos to make up the cost difference.
Old 01-25-22, 09:12 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
The story about RH tires having better casing and more rubber is plausible but they'd have to last twice as long as the Pari Motos to make up the cost difference.
Yeah, exactly. And I guess the corollary is, if (like me) you've got multiple bikes and split your riding between them, the cheaper, shorter-lasting tires make sense. You can have Pari-Moto on all your bikes for the same price as having compass tires on a few of your bikes. Split the mileage between them, and you go quite some time without changing to new ones.
Old 01-25-22, 09:35 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I got the Compass (now RH) smooth tread 38mm Barlow Pass extralights. They were fast on smooth pavement and amazing on rough roads.
But one tire developed a bulge, so I didn't want to risk a blowout. I hadn't hit any big potholes, curbs, etc. I'm pretty careful on that bike.

I normally run smaller tires on that bike, but want to replace these. I haven't looked into other manufacturers replacements, since I mostly ride locally due to covid.