Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

custom titanium stems from China

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

custom titanium stems from China

Old 01-24-22, 10:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
keeping those thread secrets you are.
Not at all. Tap to 24tpi, install with thread locker of your choice, proceed with installation normally.

Threads backing out of a tap-it-and-pray 26tpi-to-24tpi conversion are less of a concern when the design of the crank specifically presses against each BB cup.

I've ridden it mildly and also beat on it. No problems yet.

-Kurt

Old 02-01-22, 02:40 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Hmm, a Ti stem on a Six13, I'm having a hard time picturing it. Which Six13 are you working on specifically? (I really miss my Six13 )
The Six13 I’m working on is black with red trim. I wanted the nude aluminum finish but noted that all the ones I see pop up on eBay have terrible clear coat where the aluminum starts corroding.

I got mine on eBay a few years ago and still have not finished it. It is a size 56 I believe. One of the bottle cage bolts was toast and I fixed that. I like the burnished plates on the headtube top and bottom. I thought the finish on these would look good with a titanium seatpost and stem.

I have been having motivational block when it comes to pushing these road bike builds to the finish line where I can ride them.
Likes For masi61:
Old 02-01-22, 02:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The Six13 I’m working on is black with red trim. I wanted the nude aluminum finish but noted that all the ones I see pop up on eBay have terrible clear coat where the aluminum starts corroding.

I got mine on eBay a few years ago and still have not finished it. It is a size 56 I believe. One of the bottle cage bolts was toast and I fixed that. I like the burnished plates on the headtube top and bottom. I thought the finish on these would look good with a titanium seatpost and stem.

I have been having motivational block when it comes to pushing these road bike builds to the finish line where I can ride them.
Oh man that's the same one I had! All three tubes are carbon yes? Mine were.
Old 02-01-22, 03:06 PM
masi61

shoota - yes, AFAIK all three tubes are carbon and joined to the aluminum sleeves (or lugs or whatever Cannondale called them). Really convoluted tube shapes. I heard that Cannondale put huge amounts of cash into R&D to try to bring these frames to market.

The person I bought the frame off of said he had biked up Col d’Galibier on it. Was this you by chance?
Old 02-01-22, 03:39 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
shoota - yes, AFAIK all three tubes are carbon and joined to the aluminum sleeves (or lugs or whatever Cannondale called them). Really convoluted tube shapes. I heard that Cannondale put huge amounts of cash into R&D to try to bring these frames to market.

The person I bought the frame off of said he had biked up Col d’Galibier on it. Was this you by chance?
No, unfortunately. Mine was a 55cm. Cannondale put out like 7 sizes in these I think. The odd sizes were frame only, the evens were built with Campy. The fork on mine looked different than yours though.
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-12-22, 02:29 PM
masi61

Not sure if any classic and vintage bike rebuilders have considered this or not but I am intrigued at the idea of running a titanium stem on several of my 1990's/early 2000's era aluminum roadbike builds I'm working on. One of them the Klein Quantum has a 1" straight steerer and I have outfitted this with a really nifty ti aheadset type stem that accepts 31.8 bars. This part was less than $100 and really looks great with a matching ti seatpost.

The custom one I just ordered is for a Cannondale Six13 that I am working on. It will have Deda Trentacinque 35.0 bars so I need the titanium builder to do the custom option. They say they are willing to do it for me and the price is $135. If the quality of the finished product is anything like what I got in the 1" aheadset stem, I'm gonna be stoked.
Just want to bump my own thread to update folks that I received my custom titanium 35.0 road stem in the mail yesterday. If fits my Deda Trentacinque handlebars perfectly. I think that the brushed titanium finish and the big 4 bolt face plate just look classy. I will edit this thread later tonight (or tomorrow by attaching a photo). The brushed ti finish of the seatpost and stem give the gloss black bike a more subtle classy toned down vibe.
Old 02-12-22, 02:38 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 3,098 Times in 1,953 Posts
Just want to bump my own thread to update folks that I received my custom titanium 35.0 road stem in the mail yesterday. If fits my Deda Trentacinque handlebars perfectly. I think that the brushed titanium finish and the big 4 bolt face plate just look classy. I will edit this thread later tonight (or tomorrow by attaching a photo). The brushed ti finish of the seatpost and stem give the gloss black bike a more subtle classy toned down vibe.
Whats the extra “growth” for on top of the stem top rim. Is it just a spacer with a top cap?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 02-12-22, 04:57 PM
masi61

jdawginsc - if you are referring to the top cap from post #16 of this thread, that "growth" is mainly a place holder as I was setting up the fork plug and pre-tensioning the headset bearings. That bike is a Klein Quantum with a 1" threadless fork. I'm gonna need to finish that bike, road test it, and cut the steer tube down. I do like those faceted/knurled spacers that I got from Velo Orange so I was playing around with those.

The new titanium stem I am reporting on is going to go on the Cannondale Six 13 (see reply #27 to this thread) in place of the white "35" Deda Trentacinque stem that is on there now. I am pretty impressed at the short turn around time of these Chinese stem/seatpost makers and their willingness to do "custom" mods to their designs for small upcharge.
Old 02-13-22, 12:15 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
jdawginsc - iI am pretty impressed at the short turn around time of these Chinese stem/seatpost makers and their willingness to do "custom" mods to their designs for small upcharge.
So out of curiosity what was the "final damages" including this small upcharge (and shipping to USA)? Did it come in at the predicted $135, total?
Old 02-13-22, 12:36 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by unworthy1
So out of curiosity what was the "final damages" including this small upcharge (and shipping to USA)? Did it come in at the predicted $135, total?
Shipping was free but with tax my total came to $144.11. I have the Deda 35.0 handlebars in both aluminum and a set in carbon fiber.