Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Single Side Power Meter Readings

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 06:44 AM
artisancorp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I have a left side single power meter 4iiii that I use with my Garmin 820. The problem I am having is that when I am using it it doesn't convert (double?) so that I can get total power. This would be helpful when using some of the apps and when training with FTP. I am not sure if I missed a setting.
Old 06-27-21, 08:35 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Are you using ANT+ or Bluetooth to make your connection to your Garmin? Not sure about the 4iii, but my Stages left side power meter will only read 1/2 power if connected via BT.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-27-21, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
This is a tad dated, but still lots of good stuff. The first third is the usual "is it plugged in" type troubleshooting, but when you get below that it starts to get useful for your needs. Know your terms too and what each data point is actually telling you.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/12/...cy-issues.html
Old 06-27-21, 12:32 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
What power readings are you getting? I use a 4iiii PM with a Garmin 530 via Bluetooth and its been fine since I first installed it. I don't recall having to set anything to tell it to double, it just automatically setup that way. Have you tried going through the 4iiii setup app, rather than the Garmin?
Old 06-27-21, 12:34 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Are you using ANT+ or Bluetooth to make your connection to your Garmin? Not sure about the 4iii, but my Stages left side power meter will only read 1/2 power if connected via BT.
That sounds like there's something wrong : I can't believe Stages would deliberately do that.
Old 06-27-21, 12:40 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
That sounds like there's something wrong : I can't believe Stages would deliberately do that.
I just follow what's in the manual. Their dual meters communicate by the left sending a signal to the right via BT, which then adds them together and communicates the info to the head unit. With the single sided (left crank arm) meter, the "doubled" signal must be via ANT+.
Hey, all I know is it works on my bike. ANT to me is something I step on if I see it in the kitchen.
Old 06-27-21, 02:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Call them. Something weird going on.

You can work around the issue with software, and if it's at least measuring reliably you can do your intervals based on the numbers it gives you, you just can't tell anyone your FTP. It should work though, of course.
Old 06-27-21, 04:33 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by artisancorp
Hi All,
I have a left side single power meter 4iiii that I use with my Garmin 820. The problem I am having is that when I am using it it doesn't convert (double?) so that I can get total power. This would be helpful when using some of the apps and when training with FTP. I am not sure if I missed a setting.
What does the scale factor in the 4iiii app say?