Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

12 Volt System Upgrade

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

12 Volt System Upgrade

Old 10-27-21, 02:33 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
12 Volt System Upgrade

Got new MC headlights to replace the MR16 track lights.

Both new headlights installed

LiFePO battery on order, shipped, awaiting delivery...

The new lights have a ring of LED’s around the main beam.

I installed these headlights on my 18th prototype “Model 318”.
Old 10-27-21, 02:40 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Maybe a better photo of the lights:

These were sold out by the time I ordered a second set. Not sure if the second set is identical, I’m waiting for them to be delivered.

I’m not at all happy with the UCI rule prohibiting Fairingszz, I find fairings make it easy to pedal into headwinds, and deflect windchill. Also this fairing design has interior space that is equivalent to a handlebar basket, and has a dashboard display. Also a USB charger to keep my iPhone shooting pictures and sending them...
Old 10-27-21, 03:52 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
I’m not at all happy with the UCI rule prohibiting Fairingszz,
??? The UCI rules don't pertain to your riding.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 10-27-21, 04:02 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by njkayaker
??? The UCI rules don't pertain to your riding.
Yes, I know, but the rules stifle innovation in the bicycle business.

I shouldn’t have to build my own. But now that I have gone out of my way to make my own, I shouldn’t have to answer repeated questions as to whether it helps the bike go faster, of course it does. Needs a bigger chainring sure, but it cuts through headwinds nevertheless.
Old 10-27-21, 04:13 PM
hotbike

1913, aircraft construction consisted of canvas stretched over wooden stringers.

Prior to the 1913 UCI prohibition, this Streamliner set a few world records

This would be a nice project to repeat with carbon fiber /Kevlar.
Old 10-27-21, 04:17 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Yes, I know, but the rules stifle innovation in the bicycle business.
The point of UCI bicycle racing isn't to encourage innovation. The point of having the rules is to not to have races between different technologies.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 10-27-21, 04:41 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The point of UCI bicycle racing isn't to encourage innovation. The point of having the rules is to not to have races between different technologies.
That may be true, but 99.9% of bicycles still use chain drive, so there is a common technological base.
Old 10-27-21, 07:14 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I shouldn’t have to build my own.
You can absolutely buy factory-built bike fairings and velocars. Zzipper makes fairings for diamond-frame bikes, but most faired bikes are recumbents (and are trikes).
Old 10-27-21, 08:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I do not understand this thread, what does a motorcycle lighting system on a bicycle have to do with UCI and fairings and some photos from over a century ago?
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-28-21, 05:46 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by adamrice
You can absolutely buy factory-built bike fairings and velocars. Zzipper makes fairings for diamond-frame bikes, but most faired bikes are recumbents (and are trikes).

Zzipper fairings lack many of the features that I build into my own fairings.
Especially the cargo space.

Coroplast panniers

Creating an airfoil around the panniers

Panniers, shelf space on top of the panniers, and the top compartment, together with bottle holders. Zipper can’t compare.

I was talking to a banker yesterday. I said I could have started an electric bike business in 1986 for $40,000 , but now it’s going to cost at least $7,000,000 , account the ebike industry has gotten so large, and he said “more”.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 10-31-21, 07:14 AM
hotbike

LED motorcycle headlights like these weren’t available in 2018, we were forced to use track-lights.

Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is half the weight of lead/acid

The LiFePO4 battery is fantastic. Saved 1,600 grams ! I’m becoming a weight weenie!
Old 10-31-21, 07:16 AM
hotbike

Reflection on glass
Old 10-31-21, 08:28 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
You're kidding, right?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-31-21, 08:34 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You're kidding, right?

I’ve done everything within my power to create a Human Powered Vehicle , based on an upright bicycle. (Not a recumbent).

I’m sorry, but your question has to be more specific. I always try to maintain excess capacity, if that’s what you mean.
Cargo version has 6 times more cargo space, but doesn’t give much aerodynamic advantage.

(Edit: yes, I was kidding about becoming a “weight weenie”).

Last edited by hotbike; 10-31-21 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-31-21, 09:09 AM
hotbike

Video
Old 10-31-21, 10:43 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Zipper can’t compare.
Clearly they need to get with the riveted-coroplast program to catch up.

If you want to move your goalposts, then sure, there are no commercially made fairings exactly like yours.
Old 10-31-21, 12:04 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by adamrice
Clearly they need to get with the riveted-coroplast program to catch up.

If you want to move your goalposts, then sure, there are no commercially made fairings exactly like yours.
To give a synopsis of my project, I started with sheet aluminum and rivets, moved to fiberglass, then moved to Kevlar. Joined the navy as an Aviation Metal Smith (AMS) in 1991, did fiberglass and aluminum repair aboard an aircraft carrier, loaned my Kevlar tools to the HMS Invincible (the Sea Harriers use Kevlar) . And the girls designed two new cargo bikes of the cycle-truck variety
So, in my estimation, the difference between a cargo bike and a touring bike is that the cargo bike has the front cargo platform mounted to the head tube, and it does Not rotate around the headset, whereas the touring bike has its fairing (plastic box) attached to the handlebars.
Something could be said for each approach. The handlebars mounted fairing can have nacelles for each hand to protect fingers from windchill. The head tube mounted box exerts downward force against the steering axis and gives the bike a tendency to stay in a straight line.
Now , the catch is, I have no control over the geometry which is welded into each bike. I am now making Coroplast fairings specifically for each bike receiving the fairing. I was naive to assume manufacturers would continue making a specific model bike, and as it turns out, that is not the case. So I would end up making an aftermarket fairing for a bike that is out of production.
Anyway, the cargo version got stolen before I could make a mold of the fiberglass, and that’s the main reason I went back to my 3rd prototype, only in cheap Coroplast instead of fiberglass.

Last edited by hotbike; 10-31-21 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-31-21, 12:43 PM
hotbike

This guy is using circle-logic in the design
Old 10-31-21, 12:44 PM
hotbike

Device Specifications
Old 10-31-21, 12:59 PM
hotbike

Battery is inside the downtube. Milk crate is tough, what I had in mind for molded plastic fairing.

I have a plan to make the fairing similar to a milk crate, but I would need a plastic injection molding machine with 260 ton press and 5 axis’s.
Old 10-31-21, 02:55 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts

I’ve done everything within my power to create a Human Powered Vehicle , based on an upright bicycle. (Not a recumbent).
Funny, I sort of thought that an upright bicycle was a Human Powered Vehicle. Your version, with the 12v battery, lights, horns, etc, just make the human power part a lot more difficult. All the aero in the world won't help overcome all that additional weight.

Just buy a Chevy Bolt. You can probably get one cheaply now. You'll find them on the lot, parked far away from any other vehicle or structure.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-31-21, 02:59 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Funny, I sort of thought that an upright bicycle was a Human Powered Vehicle. Your version, with the 12v battery, lights, horns, etc, just make the human power part a lot more difficult. All the aero in the world won't help overcome all that additional weight.

Just buy a Chevy Bolt. You can probably get one cheaply now. You'll find them on the lot, parked far away from any other vehicle or structure.
You are correct . Every bicycle is a human powered vehicle. I’m just making a statement that , with the sheet-metal (or plastic) and the lights, including marker lights, it’s definitely easier to convince people that the bicycle is a “Vehicle”.
Old 10-31-21, 08:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
it’s definitely easier to convince people that the bicycle is a “Vehicle”.
What? What are all these mysterious people classifying a bicycle then? I am going to classify an apple as a ceiling fan.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-31-21, 08:23 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What? What are all these mysterious people classifying a bicycle then? I am going to classify an apple as a ceiling fan.
I want to start a movement to have the term Human Powered Vehicle become the politically correct word for “bicycle”.
Old 10-31-21, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I want to start a movement to have the term Human Powered Vehicle become the politically correct word for “bicycle”.
What about tricycles, unicycles, quadricycles, pedal powered aircraft and boats and the multitudes of other human powered vehicles that are not bicycles? Why do you feel the need to change something just because you put some lawn signs and motorcycle headlights on a cheap old Fuji? I am baffled. I see no issue with calling a bicycle a bicycle, just like I call a door a door. I don't need to call it a "carbon based portal separation device" or something goofy like that.

No need to genericize everything and turn it into this sterile language all the time. A bicycle is a bicycle because it is a cycle with two wheels, there is no need to change that and I can assure you making it more generic won't help. You turn into Ms. Swan from MadTV "he looka like a man"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.