Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 05:58 PM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom
I am an uncool rider, the only bike apparel I wear is a helmet and bike shorts if I am going out for a few hours or more. Some of the club riders just do not approve. I don't race, I don't time my rides and usually have no idea about the mileage, 2 hours is 2 hours I went from here the their, I ride for fun. I have a kick stand on my bike and some times my shoe hits it when I am peddling so I just peddle flat footed problem solved. I can ride this way for a long time so who cares. But that is me, you have to figure out what you are looking to achieve on your bike, if you are looking to ride fast, studying the numbers, want to improve your times then you do not need my advice you need to listen the the fast guys. For me it is a bike and all you have to do to ride a bike is get on it and start peddling, I will some times come home from work and go for a short ride around the neighborhood in my work boots, I would not wear work boots on a 25 mile ride. I wear tinny shoes, my feet never hurt I do not worry about pulling up and pushing down at the same time I am a masher. You may pass me but I don't care I am going to get there soon enough.
It is a bike, don't over thing every thing just do it.
It's almost as if he does this for FUN............weird..........

Grin. Nicely said Tom!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 05-01-22, 06:08 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
We have a new one, folks.
Dang, a Doppelganger in the house! All this time I thought the other one was Christopher Lambert posting under a fictitious name.

Last edited by seypat; 05-01-22 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 09:00 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I never get why these are either or debates..

There are times I want clipless like when its rainy and muddy, so I put my clipless pedals if I want to ride in flats them I put those on. It only takes a couple of minutes to swap pedals.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-02-22, 09:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

There are times I want clipless like when its rainy and muddy, so I put my clipless pedals if I want to ride in flats them I put those on. It only takes a couple of minutes to swap pedals.

I think it's absurd they're any kind of debates. These are utilitarian objects, there either useful to you r they are not or, in your case, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-22, 09:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

It's a while ago, but I think the original question was asking about bike shoes vs ordinary shoes rather than clipless vs flat pedals.
Old 05-02-22, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It's a while ago, but I think the original question was asking about bike shoes vs ordinary shoes rather than clipless vs flat pedals.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that bike shoes are necessary if you use clipless and optional with flats.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-22, 09:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that bike shoes are necessary if you use clipless and optional with flats.
Well it's a Zombie thread from 2004, exhumed by a guy complaining about his big toe wearing through his non-bike shoes. You don't have to go clipless to benefit from bike shoes. It's just a further option.
Old 05-02-22, 09:51 AM
Chickenwings

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Hahahah
Old 05-02-22, 10:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
What I find hilarious is that there are all sorts of sport specific shoes out there. Sport specific shoes aren't a necessity.

You can sign up for a company softball team and wear Vans and have your feet slip every time you need to run to first base. I mean it is just fun, why spend the money.

You can play basketball in any shoe, but it might be prudent to wear a high top. That could be a work boot, if you've got the skills. If not, watching can be fun.

You can run in any shoe, kids run with or without shoes. Some people can run in any shoe their entire life, some can run in any shoe for only a part of their life. Unfortunately most have to wait years to find out which group they are in.

I've skateboarded barefoot, years ago, and my kids have also, and in flip-flops. But they didn't at a skate park.

My only take on cycling shoes is that they provide support because the soles are stiffer; generally that equates to more comfort. I'm not sure why it evolves into an us vs. them.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-02-22, 11:04 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Has anyone actually measured that claimed 15% improvement in efficiency? These numbers have been tossed around for at least 30 years, with no real evidence.
its less than 1% more efficient on flat ground riding moderately hard, the efficiency probably spikes when going up a steep hill or when trying to rip your bike apart on sprint, but afaik most of the studies on the subject aren’t on these edge cases.
Old 05-02-22, 11:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well it's a Zombie thread from 2004, exhumed by a guy complaining about his big toe wearing through his non-bike shoes. You don't have to go clipless to benefit from bike shoes. It's just a further option.

OK, but I don't think the post you were responding to went off-topic by saying he goes between clipless and flats. Pretty difficult to talk about the necessity or lack thereof of bike shoes without discussing attachment to and interaction with the pedals.
Old 05-02-22, 11:19 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
The biggest gain from being clipped in with proper bike shoes, on a road bike, is that you can pedal on the upstroke, not just the down stroke. I really like having this ability when sprinting or standing while climbing. Being clipped in also allows me to spin 100+ rpm if I’m sitting going uphills.

They aren’t cheap and you’ve got to learn how to unclip quickly when you suddenly come to a stop, but once you figure that out it’s a great improvement in pedal efficiency.
Old 05-02-22, 11:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My only take on cycling shoes is that they provide support because the soles are stiffer; generally that equates to more comfort. I'm not sure why it evolves into an us vs. them.

John
I think these us vs. them things always stem from the same thing--"this works for me and I'm the norm."

That doesn't work at all when it comes to feet. One person's comfort is another person's torture device.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-22, 11:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by A350driver
The biggest gain from being clipped in with proper bike shoes, on a road bike, is that you can pedal on the upstroke, not just the down stroke. I really like having this ability when sprinting or standing while climbing. Being clipped in also allows me to spin 100+ rpm if I’m sitting going uphills.

They aren’t cheap and you’ve got to learn how to unclip quickly when you suddenly come to a stop, but once you figure that out it’s a great improvement in pedal efficiency.

The upstroke is too weak to have any meaningful effect.
Old 05-02-22, 11:44 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
I think these us vs. them things always stem from the same thing--"this works for me and I'm the norm."

That doesn't work at all when it comes to feet. One person's comfort is another person's torture device or fetish.

FIFY lol
Old 05-02-22, 11:53 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

The upstroke is too weak to have any meaningful effect.
Not when I’m standing up sprinting uphill. I pull my heels up hard and can even lift the rear wheel if I’m not careful. Can’t begin to do that without being clipped in.
Likes For A350driver:
Old 05-02-22, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Not when I’m standing up sprinting uphill. I pull my heels up hard and can even lift the rear wheel if I’m not careful. Can’t begin to do that without being clipped in.

I'm not a sprinter, I'll have to take your word on it.
Old 05-02-22, 12:56 PM
A350driver

I'm not a sprinter, I'll have to take your word on it.
You don’t have to be a sprinter to benefit from a good strong upstroke. Next time you’re riding, try only pulling up, don’t push down with the other foot, only apply power on the upstroke. Or unclip one foot and only pedal with the other leg, by both pulling up and pushing down. Do this for a minute per leg, you’ll feel how much more power you can generate by pulling back and up on the upstroke. You’ll feel it in your hamstrings but you’ll be faster for it.
Old 05-02-22, 01:13 PM
PeteHski

You don’t have to be a sprinter to benefit from a good strong upstroke. Next time you’re riding, try only pulling up, don’t push down with the other foot, only apply power on the upstroke. Or unclip one foot and only pedal with the other leg, by both pulling up and pushing down. Do this for a minute per leg, you’ll feel how much more power you can generate by pulling back and up on the upstroke. You’ll feel it in your hamstrings but you’ll be faster for it.
Hey if it works for you then great. But it's been shown in many studies that pro riders don't actually do this. Literally none of them. Single leg drills are pretty controversial too. Some coaches still seem to favour them, others not so much. Hamstrings are not really designed to "pull up" and have very little strength or efficiency in doing so. Like when you run (a more natural action), your hamstrings are actually unloaded when contracting as your leg is off the ground.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-02-22, 01:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Nope, can't do any kind of binding, it's hell on my bad ankles.

I won't get into how I generate power, but I do fine, thanks!
Old 05-02-22, 01:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
This thread reminds me of the time I went golfing with my grandpa's cane.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-02-22, 01:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Remember that guy, Lachlan Morton, who left the 2021 ToF start after the peloton, rode all the stages unsupported AND rode the transfers AND got to Paris five days before the race finish?
I have seen 'ToF' before and am curious why you type it that way.
Old 05-02-22, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hey if it works for you then great. But it's been shown in many studies that pro riders don't actually do this. Literally none of them. Single leg drills are pretty controversial too. Some coaches still seem to favour them, others not so much. Hamstrings are not really designed to "pull up" and have very little strength or efficiency in doing so. Like when you run (a more natural action), your hamstrings are actually unloaded when contracting as your leg is off the ground.
My understanding is that it really isn't any effect from pulling up, it's more lifting the ascending leg so the descending leg doesn't have to lift it. The cleats have nothing to do with it. Basically, it's like you say, the leg muscles just lift the leg when you're walking, but when they're in the part of the walking cycle corresponding with descending, they're each propelling all of the body's weight in turn.
Old 05-02-22, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have seen 'ToF' before and am curious why you type it that way.
d key is broken.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-22, 02:07 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I was never interested in clipless shoes and pedals until I started riding a recumbent. Attaching your feet to the pedals gives you the ability to "spin" the cranks instead of pumping them. This gave me the ability to climb steeper hills without losing balance while reclined. I only still use them on the recumbent, but I still ride my standard position bikes with regular shoes. I can ride for hours on the recumbent, but I can only take a couple of hours per day on a standard bike as my body parts start to protest
Likes For restlessswind:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.