Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Supreme court ruling about license plates

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Supreme court ruling about license plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 11:59 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I guess THULE isn't an assorted manufacturer?

-mr. bill
Do they offer plate holders ?
Old 05-04-22, 12:03 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Do they offer plate holders ?

Originally Posted by FredMau
It's illegal here in Georgia too. And I've seen it posted on some sites that they DO pull you over for it in this state. HOWEVER, I've lived in Georgia since 2013, In Oregon 12 years prior to that, and Florida for 20 years prior to that, and I've never been pulled over in ANY of these places for this,

One solution is to move the license plate. However, Georgia law requires the plate to be lighted at night so you can't just stick it in the rear window or whatever. Thule make a lighted license plate frame for their bike racks, about $49 from REI.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...older-_-903760

Write only memory?

-mr. bill
Old 05-04-22, 12:14 PM
mr_bill

And Yakima.
And Mini.
And....

But I know, we need to cite proof that people get tickets for having bicycles on the back of their cars, because folks have "never heard" of such an astonishing thing.

-mr. bill
Old 05-04-22, 01:03 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Aren't trailers required to have their own plates in NC? I would imagine if the trailer blocked the vehicle plate, the trailer plate could still identify the driver.
Well, if you're towing a trailer or other vehicle, won't that have a license plate of it's own visible from the rear?
Well, yeah - by law - but around here a large percentage of trailers are not tagged. Even if tagged, it doesn't id the tow vehicle or it's owner necessarily. The trailer could be rented or borrowed or owned by a business. More likely is that if it has a tag, it may not match the trailer. There is a bit of tag sharing for trailers in NC because it's almost impossible to title and register a used trailer that doesn't have documentation.

In any case, even with a towed trailer, hitch ball, bike rack, etc., the plate should be visible from the rear at some angle and thus legal, right? Just don't get caught greasing your plate.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-04-22, 01:27 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I'd never heard that either, apparently some moron of an Iowa cop gave a guy a ticket for the ball interfering with his view of the license plate.
I've never understood why distant viewing of a plate's so utterly vita, when it's plastered on the vehicle. Either stop the vehicle for an infraction, or get closer (ie, off to the side), or await an opportune time (such as when the vehicle's meandering about or stopped upon city streets).

Of course, in "farm" country it's also frequent that rain+dirt=mud, so lots of plates get splattered (even covered) with mud.

Kudos to Iowa for injecting a slight bit of rationality into the mess.
Old 05-04-22, 01:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Write only memory?

-mr. bill
OK, I do know that having viewed countless hitch racks, I have never seen a license plate mounted as in the photo. I have read its pretty much require din many Euro countries. But my experience is completely anecdotal of course.
Old 05-04-22, 02:08 PM
FredMau

Bikes: Blue Max Plateau EX, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
OK, I do know that having viewed countless hitch racks, I have never seen a license plate mounted as in the photo. I have read its pretty much require din many Euro countries. But my experience is completely anecdotal of course.
I just *MIGHT* have to make a test case. Because I'm curious and have too much time on my hands. "Mopar" two-bicycle rack for a 2" hitch receiver, bought new with a new Jeep Cherokee in '00 but now use with a Mercedes E320 and GLK.
Old 05-04-22, 02:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It *MIGHT* work. If there's no clear precedent in your own state, Attorneys do sometimes cite other state's rulings as "guidance". The court may find this to be "persuasive" even if not "binding".

Avvo.com (2013): Is it permissible to cite case law from another state outside of the jurisdiction of a case?
4 Attorney Answers:
"It is permissible, but it is only persuasive authority (as opposed to binding authority) because the case law has no affect on your state's laws."

"You can, and if there is no decisions in your state that are on point, a court may consider it. Obviously decisions from a different jurisdiction hold little weight when there are contrary decisions from your own state."

"Both answers of the attorneys are correct, especially the advise that you should not use a case from a foreign jurisdiction that is contradicted by a case already decided in Florida."

"You can do it but it holds less weight. It would be appropriate to do in a circumstance where you can't find any case law in the state you need. In other words, if that's all you can find then you should use it."

Basically, the rule is it works when it does and not when it doesn't.
Crap like this, you'd probably find there's a split among the states, and it may or may not depend on minor variations in the wording of the statutes.

It's really only going to come up in case law when there's a search and seizure issue. The actual ticket is too low stakes to justify an appeal by itself.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-04-22, 02:23 PM
mr_bill

The reply you apparently didn’t see is half a dozen replies before your reply. If you didn’t notice that, what confidence do you have that you’d notice a license plate holder in the wild?

Bottom line - several manufacturers offer license plate holders for their bike racks.

-mr. bill
Old 05-04-22, 02:33 PM
FredMau

Bikes: Blue Max Plateau EX, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Basically, the rule is it works when it does and not when it doesn't.
Crap like this, you'd probably find there's a split among the states, and it may or may not depend on minor variations in the wording of the statutes.
Yes, of course. If a particular judge is "leaning" a particular way, this may give the judge what they want.Nothing more.

Somebody once said: " A Good lawyer knows the law; A GREAT lawyer knows the judge." I am under no particular illusion that Judges are absolutely 'impartial' and don't have their own biases.