Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Old 05-11-22, 09:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Apparently having a high post count and a differing opinion makes you a troll.
There are differing opinions and then there are derogatory comments and character assassinations that come with those differences. Those are the ones in question. All others are just fine.

Old 05-11-22, 11:45 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
There are differing opinions and then there are derogatory comments and character assassinations that come with those differences. Those are the ones in question. All others are just fine.
I understand. Just couldn't resist since I didn't see how post count has anything to do with it.

Originally Posted by shrtdstncrdr
I gotta agree with this. Motorcycles and cars (and trucks) can all go the speed limit for any given road no matter what that speed limit is. Bicycles usually can't. Which is why... the shoulder. Or as far to the right as is reasonable.

The other problem no one seems to be talking about is the guy in the car behind me in my car. I slow down for bicyclist, and the person behind me really has no idea why as my vehicle totally blocks their view of the bicyclist in front of me. Since I'm practically coasting, sans needing brakes anymore the person coming up behind me suspects nothing and nearly plows into me. This has happened more than once. That person is usually fuming over the idiot on the bike not sharing the lane by moving to the right to let faster traffic flow freely. That's how I see it.
Cyclists are not the only slow thing on the road, and all of your statements suggest that drivers should not need to be alert for them. God forbid a driver is driving too fast to be able to stop in time should they encounter a stalled vehicle, traffic, car accident, debris, road construction, animal, etc.

In your situations where the driver almost plowed into you, they were clearly driving too close and/or too fast. Blaming that on the cyclist is nonsense.
Old 05-12-22, 05:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I gotta agree with this. Motorcycles and cars (and trucks) can all go the speed limit for any given road no matter what that speed limit is. Bicycles usually can't. Which is why... the shoulder. Or as far to the right as is reasonable.

The other problem no one seems to be talking about is the guy in the car behind me in my car. I slow down for bicyclist, and the person behind me really has no idea why as my vehicle totally blocks their view of the bicyclist in front of me. Since I'm practically coasting, sans needing brakes anymore the person coming up behind me suspects nothing and nearly plows into me. This has happened more than once. That person is usually fuming over the idiot on the bike not sharing the lane by moving to the right to let faster traffic flow freely. That's how I see it.

Signal the guy behind by tapping your brakes whether you need them or not. The brake lights signal the driver to slow down and the light tap of the brakes doesn't significantly increase the chance of being rear ended. I've found it works like a charm, and the only risk is that the guy behind honks.

I generally ride FRAP, but there's places where that right position is clearly in the traffic lane. Drivers need to understand that and drive accordingly, and that doesn't give them a license to "vent" their frustrations in dangerous and counterproductive ways. In the situation you're describing, no one's safety is going to be enhanced by your honking or yelling at the cyclist whether the cyclist is right or wrong, and I don't think we should be celebrating or justifying such reactions by drivers on a bicycling forum.

Any competent drivers ed will tell you that road rage is a killer. This yelling and honking stuff is just a form of that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-12-22, 03:03 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Signal the guy behind by tapping your brakes whether you need them or not. The brake lights signal the driver to slow down and the light tap of the brakes doesn't significantly increase the chance of being rear ended. I've found it works like a charm, and the only risk is that the guy behind honks.

I generally ride FRAP, but there's places where that right position is clearly in the traffic lane. Drivers need to understand that and drive accordingly, and that doesn't give them a license to "vent" their frustrations in dangerous and counterproductive ways. In the situation you're describing, no one's safety is going to be enhanced by your honking or yelling at the cyclist whether the cyclist is right or wrong, and I don't think we should be celebrating or justifying such reactions by drivers on a bicycling forum.

Any competent drivers ed will tell you that road rage is a killer. This yelling and honking stuff is just a form of that.
Admittedly, I don't even think about whose behind me much. It's their responsibility to watch the road (and me. And the person on the bicycle) ahead of them. People who drive versus being riders are the ones who piss me off, frankly. I got a lot more tolerant when I started wearing a Neun Kurz. It seems the more responsibility you choose to, um, carry, the more courteous and understanding you become. At least that's what happened for me. Everyone's mileage is different.

I'll do my best to remember your words about tapping the brake lights to warn others when I find myself in this situation in the future. Thanks!
Old 05-12-22, 05:26 PM
Ken2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neun Kurz?

[QUOTE=shrtdstncrdr;22504330 I got a [i]lot[/i] more tolerant when I started wearing a Neun Kurz.[/QUOTE]
What is it?
Old 05-12-22, 05:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Admittedly, I don't even think about whose behind me much.
When I'm driving or riding a motorcycle or cycling I focus on my place in time and space. I know who is in front to the side and in back. To me it's all an interplay of objects in space/time and their trajectories. From that I have an idea where I am in relation to the other objects and where I need to be and where I will go if something changes.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-12-22, 10:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by bruce19
When I'm driving or riding a motorcycle or cycling I focus on my place in time and space. I know who is in front to the side and in back. To me it's all an interplay of objects in space/time and their trajectories. From that I have an idea where I am in relation to the other objects and where I need to be and where I will go if something changes.
you should try driving on the highways in S Africa. Situational awareness, front, back, both sides is paramount or you assuredly will die. On a two lane highway, cars pass regardless of oncoming vehicles. But the drivers there know when that happens, you move to the shoulder, like parting the seas. But when you are on the shoulder (1/2 a car width), you have to look for people, bikes, animals, stopped cars and sudden culverts with no signage. The same is true if someone wants to over take you, you move to the shoulder and watch the oncoming cars do the same and this happens constantly. Am amazed that two oncoming passing cars don’t do a head-on on the center line but everyone knows the dance - and all this is happening at 65-70 MPH, or roughly 120-140 KPH. For extra fun the driver is in the right seat. Never a dull moment. <- yes there was bike content.

Old 05-13-22, 01:40 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I'm starting to wonder whether the perception of cyclists rights and responsibilities is tied to the general road safety in the posters country of inhabitance.

this idea came from googling South Africa road safety statistics which in turn was inspired by rsbob's post about the driving habits in South Africa combined with his opinions about cycling safety.

road safety in SA is in a word abysmal btw.
Old 05-13-22, 10:48 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I understand. Just couldn't resist since I didn't see how post count has anything to do with it.

Cyclists are not the only slow thing on the road, and all of your statements suggest that drivers should not need to be alert for them. God forbid a driver is driving too fast to be able to stop in time should they encounter a stalled vehicle, traffic, car accident, debris, road construction, animal, etc.

In your situations where the driver almost plowed into you, they were clearly driving too close and/or too fast. Blaming that on the cyclist is nonsense.
It isn't nonsense any more than a pedestrian who walks into traffic and isn't suicidal. I wasn't calling the person on the bike ahead of me an idiot, I was referring to people I've seen behind me giving the cyclist "their all" as they pass that person. But yeah, now that I think more about what you wrote, I think anyone who impedes traffic for more than say, negotiating that sweeping bend, really is an idiot.

I'm not expecting you to agree with me. I'm giving my opinion. I think you're wrong. You think I'm wrong. Oh well.
Old 05-13-22, 10:58 PM
GarageAlwaysFul

Bikes: 2004 Iron Horse Warrior Special Edition , 90s Jamis Aurora , 1990 Shogun Metro AT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Those negative unsafe type definitely tend to stick out, that's for sure.
Old 05-13-22, 11:11 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Also fun to read all the lectures on civility and ignore lists from people who pretty much respond to even the mildest of disagreements with an insult. Being on his ignore list, I'm sure he won't see that, errr I mean "their" and "they"..
Old 05-13-22, 11:16 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Currently up to 27. It has made the board so much nicer not seeing the arguments and character assassinations. I have read several pleas for civility but nothing changes. Life is too short.
The ignoreant crew out in force in this thread
Old 05-14-22, 12:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

It isn't nonsense any more than a pedestrian who walks into traffic and isn't suicidal. I wasn't calling the person on the bike ahead of me an idiot, I was referring to people I've seen behind me giving the cyclist "their all" as they pass that person. But yeah, now that I think more about what you wrote, I think anyone who impedes traffic for more than say, negotiating that sweeping bend, really is an idiot.

I'm not expecting you to agree with me. I'm giving my opinion. I think you're wrong. You think I'm wrong. Oh well.
That's fair, but I don't know how much you have studied bicycle accidents, if at all. My research has shown a higher likelihood of accidents on sidewalks and shoulders than on traffic lanes. Motorists simply aren't expecting anything faster than about 5 mph to be where pedestrians are, and plenty of cyclists end up under a car or over the hood of a vehicle entering or exiting a driveway, or making a turn across a crosswalk. They also can't see until it's too late when at a blind intersection.

I probably won't convince you of anything, but 30+ years of vehicular cycling without incident isn't just sheer luck. I'll keep doing what works for me and you do what works for you.

But back to the nonsense or idiot issue, just because you don't understand a person's reason for doing something, doesn't invalidate their reason.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-14-22 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-15-22, 03:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
I'll toss on the hazards until it's safe to pass or the rider turns off somewhere.
Old 05-15-22, 04:41 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Most days I lose count of the jackgas motorists I yell at (whether I'm biking or motoring). Cyclists aren't immune, but the least of my worries....
Old 05-15-22, 04:45 PM
bicyclemayhem

Bikes: too many lol

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Cyclists aren't immune, but the least of my worries....
This. I mean sure, people mess up and whatever, but other cyclists are pretty much the last thing I'm worried about.
Likes For bicyclemayhem:
Old 05-15-22, 05:46 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Rightly so. I despise cyclists that do moronic, dangerous things like this.

I have no issue running a red light if it is safe to do so, e.g. turning right when no car is coming from left (I believe in the US you can do this anyway, no?), so I really am not a stickler for rules, but on a 4 way intersection? Seen it happen. Just why?
Old 05-15-22, 05:55 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
That's fair, but I don't know how much you have studied bicycle accidents, if at all. My research has shown a higher likelihood of accidents on sidewalks and shoulders than on traffic lanes. Motorists simply aren't expecting anything faster than about 5 mph to be where pedestrians are.
I agree, only been hit once and I was riding on the sidewalk and a car turned into me.
Old 05-16-22, 08:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
I'll toss on the hazards until it's safe to pass or the rider turns off somewhere.
Often tapping the brakes can be seen as passive aggressive while putting on flashers doesn’t have that connotation - instead, danger ahead. I think most people have been “brake-checked” on time or another.

When I was driving on the autobahn, if there was a sudden unforeseen slowdown, German drivers turn on their flashers (while braking) to notify that this is a sudden slow down or stop. I thought that made a ton of sense. I drive primarily on two lane highways with speeds from 50-60 MPH, and if there is someone turning off and slowing quickly, I now flip on my flashers to notify the vehicle behind me something is happening. Whether they understand or not is up to their perceptiveness. Troul’s idea is also a wiener.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-16-22, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Often tapping the brakes can be seen as passive aggressive while putting on flashers doesn’t have that connotation - instead, danger ahead. I think most people have been “brake-checked” on time or another.

When I was driving on the autobahn, if there was a sudden unforeseen slowdown, German drivers turn on their flashers (while braking) to notify that this is a sudden slow down or stop. I thought that made a ton of sense. I drive primarily on two lane highways with speeds from 50-60 MPH, and if there is someone turning off and slowing quickly, I now flip on my flashers to notify the vehicle behind me something is happening. Whether they understand or not is up to their perceptiveness. Troul’s idea is also a wiener.

Yeah, I can see how the brake tap could be read as a brake check if done too closely. I do think it's just a little easier to do than putting on the hazards (maybe a fraction of a second difference in how long it takes to move your hand to push the button vs. moving your foot from the gas pedal)), so I suspect there's situations where each of them is the better alternative.

TBH, I've never thought of putting on the flashers under these circumstances, so I'm grateful to you guys for adding to the repertory of responses.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-22, 11:42 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I agree, only been hit once and I was riding on the sidewalk and a car turned into me.
I have witnessed it multiple times, and learning from other people's mistakes has served me well. One of those times was on a "bike path", but it had a parking lot exiting next to the corner of the building, obscuring the driver's view. Another was at a crosswalk where the driver wasn't looking for a pedestrian that far back, and the cyclist flew over the hood and landed on the ground on the other side with the bike staying back with a taco'ed wheel and cracked frame.
Old 05-16-22, 08:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Let's see the road.
Ha ha ha! You are a panic. If you would like to fly out, I would be more than happy to take you on a personal guided tour with refreshments.

Old 05-17-22, 04:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ha ha ha! You are a panic. If you would like to fly out, I would be more than happy to take you on a personal guided tour with refreshments.

But you'll ignore him the whole time?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-17-22, 05:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
But you'll ignore him the whole time?
He won't tell us where he was so inconvenienced, by these entitled cyclists, that he had to harangue them from the safety of his car... but he'll take me off ignore and summon me back to a thread (that I'd been unsubscribed from for a week and a half) so that he can invite me over and offer refreshments (that I wouldn't need to keep on his wheel).

Sounds legit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-17-22, 08:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by WhyFi
He won't tell us where he was so inconvenienced, by these entitled cyclists, that he had to harangue them from the safety of his car... but he'll take me off ignore and summon me back to a thread (that I'd been unsubscribed from for a week and a half) so that he can invite me over and offer refreshments (that I wouldn't need to keep on his wheel).

Sounds legit.
Sorry but it was a case of mistaken identity. You were never put on the ignore list and I do enjoy your thoughts, wisdom and humor. My apologies.

If you don ‘t want to accept my apology, it’s perfectly understandable.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-17-22 at 08:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.