Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Pequonnock River Valley Rail Trail (etc) To Bethel?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 07:33 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

I may have a weekend to do one last out-of-state ride this fall and I've been looking at the PRV Rail Trail and various connecting roads and paths (including the Housatonic River Trail) that can take me as far as Bethel, CT. A few questions for those of you who have done this:

1. What's the "hill" situation between these two points? Although I don't mind climbing when it's warm outside and my muscles are loose, climbing in the cold usually cramps me up, old man that I am.
2. Is it worth making this an overnight trip with a hotel stay in Bethel for less than a hundred bucks? I know it's only about a 30-mile ride from the Bridgeport ferry, but breaking up the out-and-back into two days makes it more of a getaway than doing it all in one day.
3. Is Metro North a practical option to get back to Bridgeport if I find the ride too boring to return to the ferry by bicycle?

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-08-21, 08:14 AM
ganthercage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I may have a weekend to do one last out-of-state ride this fall and I've been looking at the PRV Rail Trail and various connecting roads and paths (including the Housatonic River Trail) that can take me as far as Bethel, CT. A few questions for those of you who have done this:

1. What's the "hill" situation between these two points? Although I don't mind climbing when it's warm outside and my muscles are loose, climbing in the cold usually cramps me up, old man that I am. <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
2. Is it worth making this an overnight trip with a hotel stay in Bethel for less than a hundred bucks? I know it's only about a 30-mile ride from the Bridgeport ferry, but breaking up the out-and-back into two days makes it more of a getaway than doing it all in one day.
3. Is Metro North a practical option to get back to Bridgeport if I find the ride too boring to return to the ferry by bicycle?

Thanks for your input.
I read a comment before that said that rails to traps will probably end up being good for trains in the long run. The trails are put on corridors that aren't being used anymore, but they maintain the right of way as a train line. The alternative would be removing the train corridor altogether since unused rail would be considered an eyesore to people who live near it.

I know of a bridge over a trail in my hometown that had to be built much higher than a bike trail would require since it was still legally a train corridor. So the idea is that if a train became (very) economically viable in that area, it would be much easier to convert a trail to rail than reacquiring the rights of way for a train line

Last edited by ganthercage; 10-08-21 at 11:01 AM.
Likes For ganthercage:
Old 10-09-21, 05:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by ganthercage
I read a comment before that said that rails to traps will probably end up being good for trains in the long run. The trails are put on corridors that aren't being used anymore, but they maintain the right of way as a train line. The alternative would be removing the train corridor altogether since unused rail would be considered an eyesore to people who live near it.

I know of a bridge over a trail in my hometown that had to be built much higher than a bike trail would require since it was still legally a train corridor. So the idea is that if a train became (very) economically viable in that area, it would be much easier to convert a trail to rail than reacquiring the rights of way for a train line
It’s called railbanking.

https://www.railstotrails.org/build-...n/railbanking/
Old 10-14-21, 04:26 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I was in Grand Central Terminal a couple of weeks ago and asked if bike passes were still accepted on Metro North, the ticket guy said they were no longer needed, just don't try to get on during rush hour.
Old 10-14-21, 07:33 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
I was in Grand Central Terminal….
Thanks for calling it by its correct name rather than Grand Central Station.
Old 10-15-21, 04:34 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
You're Welcome

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks for calling it by its correct name rather than Grand Central Station.
Grand Central Station is the Post Office across the street from Penn Station.
Old 10-16-21, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
Grand Central Station is the Post Office across the street from Penn Station.
Calling it Station is a dumb pet peeve of mine. The darn name is carved into the building.
Old 10-16-21, 12:00 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Calling it Station is a dumb pet peeve of mine. The darn name is carved into the building.
In my case, it's the 1970's band "Graham Central Station" that got me stuck on "Grand Central Station." Even the band knew it wasn't correct when they twisted the name.
Old 10-16-21, 04:58 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
In my case, it's the 1970's band "Graham Central Station" that got me stuck on "Grand Central Station." Even the band knew it wasn't correct when they twisted the name.
Old 10-17-21, 08:28 AM
Papa Tom

Interestingly, I stopped by the Oyster Bay Rail Road Museum yesterday and was looking at a display about the man they described as having designed "Grand Central Station." Three or four times on several placards, it is listed as "Grand Central Station." I mentioned the error to the volunteer curator and instantly lost my private tour.