Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Cold Weather Gear

Old 02-07-22, 08:36 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
There were five men in the 24h solo upright-bike category (results, if anyone's curious). This is in line with previous editions of the event.
  • Bike and other equipment didn't give me much trouble.
  • I've got Speedplay pedals, and I think they were squeaking a tiny bit, so they were probably past due for a grease injection.
  • No flats. I've got 28-mm Conti 5000TL tires and they have been great
  • Kind of an obscure problem, but my rain jacket is closely fitted and inelastic, and it bound my shoulders so I couldn't get comfortable on the aero bars with it on.
  • This was the longest I've ridden in the dark, and I had to repeatedly re-target the headlight—it's a kLite that mounts to a GoPro adapter. I couldn't tighten the GoPro knob any more, but the light would drift down slowly. Not a huge problem. It threw plenty of light—I had more confidence on descents than anyone else, I suspect (I was the only person there with a dynohub).
I wish we had milder weather—not just because the cold was miserable, but also because it would have been a better test of my ability. If I had been able to ride at my finishing pace for the five hours that I took off, I would have been right around 300 miles. I was one of two racers (including 6/12/24-hour team and solo events) who didn't have a car to warm up in, and I'm sure that made a difference.