Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

aero clip-ons

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

aero clip-ons

Old 01-14-22, 01:48 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
aero clip-ons

This thread (and a cold snap) made me think about handlebars. Quite a few times I've rested my arms on top of butterfly handlebars, but wouldn't stay this way for more than a few seconds (not very comfortable and "unsafe at any speed"). So all this handlebars talk made me ponder if aero clip-ons would work.

Blurbs suggest that this is the way to go for longer rides. And I think I remember seeing world tourers with aeros.

Anyone here has used them? Positives? Negatives? Is there a definitive model or is this a pick-any market?

Last edited by gauvins; 01-14-22 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-14-22, 04:47 PM
BikeParrott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use aerobars from Redshift mounted on Salsa Cowchipper bars on my Co-Motion Americano. I love them. I have a bit of a bad back and find the aerobars are really helpful for another position to rest my back and hands. They are also great for lowering your profile in a headwind. The Redshift bars come with quick-releases so you can take them on and off if you desire. If you aren’t concerned with taking them on and off easily, Profile Designs and Zipp both also make good aerobars. IMO they are well worth the money and extra weight.
Likes For BikeParrott:
Old 01-14-22, 05:46 PM
gauvins

BikeParrott Great. Thanks for the link. (no rattling?)
Old 01-14-22, 06:50 PM
BikeParrott

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No, none at all. I did add the optional risers to bring the pads us a bit.
Old 01-17-22, 09:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I've used aerobars for a few years now. I like them.

Turns out I have something called Thoracic outlet syndrome, a narrowing of the brachial plexus that pinches bloodflow and nerves to the hand. Sort of like carpal tunnel but in the armpit. So I numb out pretty easily. The aeros provide a position that allows me to unweight the hands and restore some circulation. At first I only used them for maybe 5 minutes at a stretch, as the position felt awkward. Then one time on a road trip I developed friction saddlesores that hurt to sit on but were relieved in the aero position - the pelvis is canted further forward. I did about 150kms that way and now I can ride aero pretty easily.

For my old bike I had some cheap clip ons, then I bought some Profile Designs and eventually cut them in half so I can access a HB bag between them.

Old 01-17-22, 09:50 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I use a zipp with their 50mm riser kit allowing it to go over my handlebar bag.
Old 01-17-22, 02:29 PM
gauvins

GhostRider62 interesting -- would have a picture of your setup?
Old 01-17-22, 02:36 PM
gauvins

happyfeet This is an Ortlieb bag, right? Looks similar to the one I have. So, yes... this kind of bag and aero bars are in some kind of conflict... I rarely access the content of my bag while in the saddle and was wondering if clip-on aeros would do since they *look* easy to install/remove, in seconds. Perhaps this isn't a show stopper... but certainly something to consider.
Old 01-17-22, 02:51 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by gauvins
GhostRider62 interesting -- would have a picture of your setup?
Sorry, I do not.
Old 01-17-22, 04:07 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Another vote for Redshift.
Awesome product.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-17-22, 09:55 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I’ve used aero bars on top of butterfly bars for a few long trips.
completely comfortable but very dorky.
i like to sit completely upright on long trips, even into the wind. Using the elbow pads for a hand position allowed an upright position and accommodated many hours in the saddle without hand pain . Highly recommended if you hate leaning over the bars.
Old 01-18-22, 10:38 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by boomhauer
I’ve used aero bars on top of butterfly bars for a few long trips.
Were you able to access the content of your handlebar bag?
Old 01-18-22, 11:02 AM
GhostRider62

With a 50mm riser kit, you will have a couple inches above most handlebar bags. I use a Swift Paloma. The top is closed with a simple bungee loop and hook system. The top is fairly flexible. I just reach in and grab what I need......like eyewear or sunscreen, etc.
Old 01-18-22, 11:35 AM
BikeParrott

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here are a couple of more pictures of my setup. I am using a bag from Topo Designs. It has heavy duty loops sewn onto the back of it and I just slide these over the aerobars. I doubt they had this in mind when they designed it but it works well and doesn’t bounce around. You do though have to open it from the front.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-18-22, 02:27 PM
Happy Feet

happyfeet This is an Ortlieb bag, right? Looks similar to the one I have. So, yes... this kind of bag and aero bars are in some kind of conflict... I rarely access the content of my bag while in the saddle and was wondering if clip-on aeros would do since they *look* easy to install/remove, in seconds. Perhaps this isn't a show stopper... but certainly something to consider.
It is a Brooks carradry HB bag, similar to the Ortlieb I think though, with a flip forward top hatch.

I use a second stem with an accessory bar to lower the HB bag so it will clear the aeros. I cut the profile design bars as they were attached in the center and too narrow to fit my cockpit. By making individual handles I could widen the distance and make it easier to get into the HB bag.

When I get home I'll try to post a pic of the bars from the side so you can see the clearance.
Old 01-18-22, 03:29 PM
gauvins

BikeParrott Your setup looks good.

I'll have to think about this. I am quite pleased with the Ortlieb, which isn't compatible (ie the clip-ons would make it impossible to access its content) and assume that I'd remove the clip-ons when taking a break or at the end of the day. A smaller bag with velcro ties would probably do... OTOH, this is a bit silly...
Old 01-18-22, 03:47 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Were you able to access the content of your handlebar bag?
I cut off the hand rest tubing and just rested my hands on the bag. It was no problem control-wise.
Old 01-18-22, 04:07 PM
BikeParrott

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
BikeParrott Your setup looks good.

I'll have to think about this. I am quite pleased with the Ortlieb, which isn't compatible (ie the clip-ons would make it impossible to access its content) and assume that I'd remove the clip-ons when taking a break or at the end of the day. A smaller bag with velcro ties would probably do... OTOH, this is a bit silly...
I also have the Ortlieb bag. When I put on the aerobars I moved it over to my wife’s bike. I could not figure out a good way for it to work with the aerobars. IMHO taking the aerobars off and on for access would be too much of a pain.
Old 01-18-22, 08:50 PM
Happy Feet

Here is my set up.

The second stem drops the bag low enough that the top flap clears the aeros.
Even when I didn't have aeros, I didn't like how high the bag rode with the quick click mounting system, though I do like the system itself. The second stem/accessory bar clears up the handlebars for attaching other stuff (like the aeros).

I also had some cheaper aeros on my converted mtb with butterfly bars. It was comfortable to have a resting position on long days.

Old 01-20-22, 10:27 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've also got the Redshift bars. They're a little heavier than necessary due to the QR mechanism, and I'm thinking of replacing them with something lighter, but they do the job.

With my setup, they were too low for comfort without risers (I could hold the aero position for about 10 minutes before I started feeling it in my glutes), and Redshift was out of riser kits when I looked. I improvised some 30-mm risers using aluminum standoffs and longer stainless bolts from McMaster Carr. No problems to report—this has been stable. And I can stay in the aero position indefinitely.

If you're in the market, note that there are "S-bend" and "J-bend" bars. I haven't tried S-bend bars, but they look less comfortable, as you'd need to rotate your wrist forward.
Old 01-20-22, 10:42 AM
gauvins

adamrice Thanks for the input. One question: I am under the impression that installing/removing the clip-ons is a matter of seconds (based on a video on the manufacturer's site, IIRC). Is this your experience?
Old 01-20-22, 10:45 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
adamrice Thanks for the input. One question: I am under the impression that installing/removing the clip-ons is a matter of seconds (based on a video on the manufacturer's site, IIRC). Is this your experience?
It literally is seconds. Just flip the QR skewer, lift the skewer out of the channel (it is spring loaded to stay) & slide the whole assembly sideways. Done.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-24-22, 04:42 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
You might check out this video I just posted on Youtube:

I talk quite a bit about aero bars and why I like them to aid in comfort